DROID RAZR MAXX HD: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

Tommy Kledecki

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello Droid fans.
I have a new issue (probably not mentioned here yet) with my KitKat Droid RAZR Maxx HD.
Apart from the fact that with 3g data on my "Modem Fastdorm Service" drains the battery very fast, the phone itself started to occasionally completely drop SIM signal... only reboot helps in this case (the phone sometimes does it on its own). I'm not a power user, I bought this one to have a few days of standby time. I normally scored up to 9 days on Jelly Bean (with turning it off for the night), while currently 4 days is my max.
I don't know what can or should I do with this dropping SIM connectivity, it has never happened before.
I live in Poland, I bought the phone at Verizon store without a contract and I use my own carrier's SIM.

The situation looks like in the picture below. After rebooting the phone I turned 3g off and I've been using only GSM connectivity, that's why the phone was no longer constantly awake.
The phone is stock, not rooted. It received the update as one of the first on 14th May.

Attachments

• 2014-05-19-21-58-19.png
    2014-05-19-21-58-19.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 62

djdougd

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
So far so good... Seems very responsive... Will check out the wifi issue when I get home... Thanks Motorola!

As a follow up, no wifi issues here! Thanks Motorola!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
One warning regarding ART:

I tried ART, and it worked fine. I didn't notice any speed difference.

BUT!

I then did my usual weekly clearing of the System Cache, and the reboot got stuck on "Optimizing app 1 of 1..." forever. I tried everything to get it back and couldn't get past that message, it'd pop up on every reboot attempt. I finally gave up and did a Factory Reset.

Might have just been something odd on my phone, but just take it FWIW...

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why in the world did they drop the volume toggle from the lock screen. I used it daily for work and before bed to silence the phone. Dang.... Any options guys? Can stuff be added to the lock screen, like the old one had text, phone camera and unlock.

Posted via Android Central App

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, you could just add a widget on the lock screen. There are tons of toggle widgets out there.

I've noticed that I have a lot less free memory now (used to be about 250-150mb but now it hovers around 150-50mb free) but it still runs smoother than JB did. A testament to the superior memory management of KK. Phone feels much faster and smoother. It also seems to switch to 3G quicker instead of trying to hold on to a weak 4G signal, which is better for me as I travel frequently to a fringe area.

The only things I wish this phone had are 2GB RAM and access to the XLTE. I would have upgraded to the Droid MAX but no SD card slot was a deterrent.

RaveD

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted with stock ROM on 4.1.2 (9.18.94.XT926.Verizon.en.US).

Can anyone tell me if Voodoo OTA RootKeeper will work with the 4.4.2 update, allowing me to keep root?

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No. The only way to keep root so far is if you have an unlocked bootloader. KK breaks root. But I find the benefits of KK were enough for me to give up root. Phone feels new again.

RaveD

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks; guess I will have to wait. At minimum I need WiFi Hotspot, and I hear that the SQL database hack doesn't work anymore either...

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I received the update this morning. I installed it and now my phone is frozen on the red M in the circle. I think it's bricked. Is there anything i can do? When I boot into recovery or fastboot, it says the phone is locked, and then goes right back to the red M.

Thanks in advance.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Why in the world did they drop the volume toggle from the lock screen. I used it daily for work and before bed to silence the phone. Dang.... Any options guys? Can stuff be added to the lock screen, like the old one had text, phone camera and unlock.

Posted via Android Central App

You can always just hold the power button and toggle it from there. It really doesn't take that much more time.

kkahn1203

May 23, 2014
Visit site
CharlieL3: Mine has the exact same problem. If you figure out how to fix it and make your phone work again, please let me know. I've tried everything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I received the update this morning. I installed it and now my phone is frozen on the red M in the circle. I think it's bricked. Is there anything i can do? When I boot into recovery or fastboot, it says the phone is locked, and then goes right back to the red M.

Thanks in advance.

I'd take it into a Verizon store and tell them the update bricked your phone.

maurile

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on a Droid Razr M with Verizon.

Before my KitKat update, my blinking LED notification thingy was blue for facebook, green for Gmail, green for Google Voice, green for just about everything other than facebook, really, and red for limited battery.

After my KitKat update, it's the same except the stuff that used to be green is now green some of the time and white some of the time (at random, as far as I can tell). But when it's white, it makes these weird, continuous, annoying sounds, like the breathing of asthmatic lizards or something. It's horrible. I've been through all the settings and can't figure out a way to make it stop. I basically have to either live with the annoying sounds whenever the LED is blinking white, or turn the volume all the way down so that I can't hear any notifications at all.

cinnabomb

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with the camera, gallery and SD card? Photos I took before updating to KitKat won't show up in the gallery, I can't record video because the camera app (original one that came with the phone) says it can't record to the SD card, and when I try to take a screenshot, I get an error saying it can't save it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Same thing happened to me with the missing photos. I finally found all my pictures by clicking the cloud symbol at the top of the screen in my gallery. :)

heyraffaello

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Excessive battery drain!!!! YES, as of a couple days ago my HD MAXX suddenly wouldn't make it through the day before running out of charge (I used to have 25% charge at the end of a day). I thought it was just my phone or some bad app or something!!! Interesting that someone else has seen this same issue!

I was surprised to get the KitKatt upgrade too. I thought our phones were orphaned by now, great to see the update. My update went on without issue. I wasn't expecting the update so I just clicked OK on it last night. This morning I saw the request to reboot. Told it OK before getting in the shower and it was running by the time I got out of the shower.

Anyone else having battery drain issues all of the sudden in the past couple days? I hope this issue goes away with the new OS!

So far I love the new OS but still can't figure out how to set the apps on the unlock page. Tried swiping down then over. I don't get a page with a big plus on it to add the unlock apps.

As others have said, it appears that the phone is staying awake all the time. I tried disabling apps to see what let the phone sleep, and it appears that the messaging app is at least partially responsible. Try to disable that app and see if it helps. Unfortunately, you won't get any SMS though...

Tommy Kledecki

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I've managed to get back to my 5-7-day battery life (to remind you, I turn the phone off each night, it is on ca. 15-16h per day). I tricked the Fast Dormancy Service with the use of Smart Actions.
I've set an action which turns off my 3g/hspa+ data transfer when my screen is off as well. This means that the Fast Dormancy cannot turn on and drain the battery, and while the screen is off I don't use data transfer anyway. Everything syncs when I turn on the screen... :)

Ihsan Levend

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello from Turkey :)

I have very strange issue,after 4.4.2 update my phone always freeze and restart after whatsapp using :( I did factory reset but nothing happened,what can I do ?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon