Google Play Services draining battery after KitKat Update

skuni

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Any suggestions on how to fix this or is anyone else noticing this issue?

Thanks for any and all advice!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
How long has it been doing that? I noticed that Play Services does that at random but it tends to fix itself eventually.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried restarting the device or clearing cache for Play services?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried restarting the device or clearing cache for Play services?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah clear cache and data on the app first.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

swharshbar

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed this too. Since KitKat, my battery isn't lasting as long as it use to during normal use. When I look at whats using the battery, the Google play services are sucking quite a bit of battery. I've cleared cache and seriously contemplating a factory reset to see if that helps. FR is the last thing I want to do.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've done a factory reset and it has not helped. Running services include Google services, Android services, Motorola services and I can't disable any of them. They are taking up most of my RAM and now I can't stream music using the Bluetooth sync in the car. Battery dying faster and battery stats show screen on time as the biggest user but a swear my screen is not on nearly as much as it says. Is it possible for my screen to be drawing power even though it's not lit up? KitKat has ruined what use to be my favorite phone to date. Feeks like they are forcing my to upgrade to something with more RAM to handle more services. Problem is if I upgrade I loose my unlimited data plan. Think it's all a scam.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

lnfitz

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Drastic battery drain started as soon as I updated to KitKat. Never mind... I will be dumping this phone and not purchasing another Motorola. I don't know if it is the google relationship but it has way too much mandatory crap. Do I really need NFL... excuse me, but F no.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Infitz, it's not the phone fault, nor that it's a Motorola. This phone is one of the most solid phones I've ever had. Its the developers of the software that screw these things up. The more crap they invent and feel like we 'need' to have and push on us, the more problems they introduce as well. They want to force you into purchasing a newer phone. That's the game.

Sent using the Motorola RAZR MaxxHD.

Tommy Kledecki

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't have this issue on my phone... my battery is being drained due to Fast Dormancy Service constantly keeping the phone awake. I think it is because my carrier probably doesn't support this protocol (at least in my city).
When I turn my 3g off completely and turn it on only when I need it, the phone can be idling up to 10 days again (I am currently on 9th day, still have 14%) :)

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Infitz... the Razr Maxx HD is a very solid phone. I am not having any issues since the KitKat update.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk.

elayates

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Mine the same since kitkat update, gone from battery lasting two days, to three charges a day. Mine is a Sony xperia. I found on another forum to uninstall updates on google play. This worked, battery usage went back to normal, but then as i used various apps they wouldnt work properly.

ejcrossl

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine the same since kitkat update, gone from battery lasting two days, to three charges a day. Mine is a Sony xperia. I found on another forum to uninstall updates on google play. This worked, battery usage went back to normal, but then as i used various apps they wouldnt work properly.

Lucky you, my battery is awful now. With moderate usage, say looking at Facebook for 15 mins, and maybe reading a Kindle book for 20 mins. By 5:00 I will have under 10% left. Once under 15% it drains at an alarming rate.
I also get the dreaded battery hogs of Google play services and two different android services. I barely ever use my phone, get 1 or 2 emails per day, and maybe 10-15 texts per day.
I also can't stand that now you can save individual pictures in a slideshow text, you can't delete multiple text messages at the same time. Why would you remove these features? Seems like they have taken away features that were nice to have. Makes no sense.

jmvelasquezh

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Several suggestions of this question have helped me a lot. I want to add something:

I do a lot of research on google using my laptop while my gmail account is logged in. Every single search I do on google is synced to my phone. So, Can we imagine an hour of researching in our computer synced to the phone? . As I looked for; let´s say "Mapping customer service", my google search on my phone knew about this search, and after 3 hours, I had a call from my friend Mr. "Recharge your Battery".

I decided to log out of my gmail account in my laptop while I do my research ( which it means I am closing Youtube, Gmail, and any trace of what I am researching on google) . After 9 hours, I have 70% of my battery. COOOOL!

Google has great tools! but sometimes, we should be able to disconnect from google and have a life.

James Thehand

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
This problem is not the fault of any phone manufacturer, its the fault of google. This has started happening on my xperia Z and its draining battery twice as fast as the screen, and that is practically unimaginable.

Any official solution or fix would be welcome, because this is a major fault, that could cause people to switch to iphone.

swharshbar

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone did this after the KK update, but after about a week, it went back to normal. Not sure why, but I get a full days worth of battery without fail every day and thats good enough for me.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery usage for Google Play Services is around 7%. Screen on is generally my biggest drain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay