Android OS Data

thesk1

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the MAXX HD and recently did the KitKat update.

My data cycle restarted on the 22nd, so roughly five days ago. Somehow I already have 2gb of data usage. I have WiFi at home and at work.

I checked my data usage and 1gb is coming from background data on the Android OS. I've been looking into this issue for awhile and haven't found a straightforward answer. My auto-sync for all of my accounts are off. I never had this issue before KitKat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the MAXX HD and recently did the KitKat update.

My data cycle restarted on the 22nd, so roughly five days ago. Somehow I already have 2gb of data usage. I have WiFi at home and at work.

I checked my data usage and 1gb is coming from background data on the Android OS. I've been looking into this issue for awhile and haven't found a straightforward answer. My auto-sync for all of my accounts are off. I never had this issue before KitKat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My initial idea would be install an app to track this- such as 3G Watchdog. Now, have you set the threshold/counter on Android to reset, and if so are you able to cross reference this info with your carrier?

It could be widgets and apps just trying to keep upto date- other than FB, E-Mail etc trying to sync...just an idea

thesk1

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I just don't see why it would start in the last few days. I've had this phone for over a year and its never happened.

Just went through all my stuff again and the only thing that seemed out of place was my "data roaming" box was checked, but I don't know how that could cause an issue.

One question I have, what are the odds of an app showing its data usage under the OS rather than under its own name and show up as background usage?

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I just don't see why it would start in the last few days. I've had this phone for over a year and its never happened.

Just went through all my stuff again and the only thing that seemed out of place was my "data roaming" box was checked, but I don't know how that could cause an issue.

One question I have, what are the odds of an app showing its data usage under the OS rather than under its own name and show up as background usage?

Whilst the app may sync etc, it theoretically should show up under it's own banner- unless perhaps the OS is 'initiating' the data on behalf of the app? Theoretically Data Roaming should not use that much- have you installed any new apps or made changes to any recently you're aware of?

I'd say give a data tracker app (3G Watchdog, Traffic Monitor etc.) a go for a week, then post the results for us to see.