RAZR MAXX HD: SMS Message notifications no longer works after KitKat update

ghudson666

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I searched around and did not see any other postings related to this. After the KitKat update the stock SMS message app has been changed to a new message app. For starters I do not like the new SMS message app mainly because of the white background is very difficult for me to see and read. But most annoyingly is the awesome Circles widget no longer opens a new text message when you click on the new message in the big circle like it did before the KitKat update on my RAZR MAXX HD phone. Also, the new SMS message app icon does not list a count of unread text messages like it did before the KitKat update. I also cannot access a new text message when I click it in my notification bar at the top. I have tried a few other SMS message apps but they all do the same thing and they do not open a new text message when clicked from the big circle in the Circle widget and they do not display a count of unread text messages. I tried the 8sms texting app since it was very similar to the old stock message app we had before the KitKat update. I emailed the developers of the 8sms texting app and they said their app cannot interact with the Circle widget since the functionality is hard coded. Anybody got any solutions on how to get a texting app to interact with the Circles widget and for the messaging app to display a count of the unread text messages like we had with the stock message app before the KitKat update? Thanks in advance for your help!

Captktm

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same sort of SMS problems. That Kit Kat update sucks!!! The text icon on home screen says I have unread texts. Hit the icon..... no new texts. Have talked to Verizon customer service/tech support. They sent me to Motorola. Their people were worthless!! Nobody can even tell me who wrote the code. Somebody needs to fix this thing. I have been a faithful Motorola customer for years but I am left completely disappointed this time around.

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I use (paid version) Apex Launcher and the Hello SMS app. The combination works well: unread counts show on the icon, tapping notifications takes me to the app and it has a dark theme option.

I realize that doesn't help with the stock launcher and app, but for what it's worth ;)

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I use handsent and it works just like it did before update, my different color leds had red, green, yellow, and blue now I also have white. White is for the ones that I did not have an led alert for.

Posted from behind a slab of bacon.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the black background also, you would think you could change it like you can in the stock email settings. That is why I never used hangouts because of the white now I have two text messaging apps that are white. Good job Google.

I also have new messages indicating on my text app, when I open there are none. I have narrowed it down though to they appear and stay there after I sent a MMS. Can't figure anything in the settings. Then they eventually clear somehow.

Mug Wump

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Motorola razr maxx HD with Kitkat -- the message icon this morning says I have unread messages. However, I have no new messages. What happened? :-$

Mug Wump

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Motorola razr maxx HD with Kitkat -- the message icon this morning says I have unread messages. However, I have no new messages. What happened? :-$

Eureka, problem solved: looking at the Settings for 'Data usage' the 'Mobile Data' was toggled to 'OFF' so there were message but they would not download.

dtlantz

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Any one getting a "message could not download" or "message is expired or unavailable" error? Just started today for me and have lost 50% battery in five hours because of it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca