Rings then speaks callers name issue, after Kit Kat update

me10lee83

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Ever since my phone updated to Kit Kat last week it's been doing a couple of weird things. Overall it's working much better (better battery life for sure!) but these things are an annoyance. I already made a post about the first issue (not staying in vibrate mode), here's the one for my other issue.

Since the upgrade my phone is talking to me when it rings. It will ring, and then speak the phone number/name of the caller, and repeat. I thought this must be something in accessibility (even though I hadn't changed any settings, started doing this on it's own after the upgrade) but I can't find the option for this anywhere. I know in the Motorola SmartActions app that's one of the features you can turn on, and I have that enabled when the Drive mode action is enabled, but it does this even when the phone is not in Drive mode, and even when there aren't any SmartActions active at all. I don't believe it's SmartActions that's causing this, because that feature announces text messages as well and this is only happening for phone calls not texts. I cannot find any information on how to turn this off. I also use the app "LightFlow" to manage notifications on the phone, but do not have a notification set for incoming calls (though maybe if I set the ringtone to none in the phone's settings and enable this notification in LightFlow it won't happen anymore, I'll have to try that if no one knows how to fix this)

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on the phone but thought I'd see if anyone else had noticed similar behaviors or knew how to turn this feature off.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Go into Phone. Tap the settings (three dots and select Settings). Scroll down to Caller ID Readout and select. Select Ring Only.

me10lee83

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, didn't know about that. Checked there and it was set to ring only. I changed it to caller ID and ring, then back to ring only in case it wasn't recognizing the setting. If it still does it guess I'll have to do a FDR

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue where my phone was still reading out text message senders which I had set up when I connected through blue tooth with Smart Actions. You should try one of two things if you are still having this issue. Try reconnecting it to a blue tooth device like your car or whatever you use then turn blue tooth off from your device to make sure it disconnects properly. It's also possible Smart Actions could be acting up so if you have the call announcing set up that way you can disable that setting or delete it from your Smart Action to see if that fixes it. I was able to fix my issue doing those things.

me10lee83

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if the putting it in and out of ring and callout fixed it b/c I reset it to fix the other issue I was having before getting another call. Either way, it's fixed now!