Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By Kevin OQuinn
  • 3 Post By Almeuit
  • 4 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 3 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By physioprof
  • 2 Post By Aquila
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Cannot Charge Droid Maxx (and other issues) after 4.4 update

I am on-call 24x7 in the medical industry and the new KitKat that was forced upon my phone has killed my ability to charge my phone while keeping the phone ON!!!

When I plug my Droid RAZR MAXX HD into ANY CHARGER, it shuts off and charges with that stupid battery icon. Thus, I cannot receive calls while the phone is charging!!!

To compound the issue, my RAZR MAXX battery used to last days before recharges but ... after this GOD-AWFUL KitKat ... my battery only lasts hours!!!

KitKat PROS:
    • none

KitKat CONS:
    • cannot charge phone while "on"
    • battery consumption 80% worse
    • cannot pair bluetooth headset
    • bluetooth car stereo unusable (stuttering)
    • lost wi-fi connections to some routers
    • lost lock screen swipe to app
    • lost free-swype
    • lost dark TM background
    • lost led control
    • zaphrox flashlight does not work

Global Posts
    31,611 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Very serious issue

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Allen1 View Post
    I am on-call 24x7 in the medical industry and the new KitKat that was forced upon my phone has killed my ability to charge my phone while keeping the phone ON!!!

When I plug my Droid RAZR MAXX HD into ANY CHARGER, it shuts off and charges with that stupid battery icon. Thus, I cannot receive calls while the phone is charging!!!

To compound the issue, my RAZR MAXX battery used to last days before recharges but ... after this GOD-AWFUL KitKat ... my battery only lasts hours!!!

KitKat PROS:
    • none

KitKat CONS:
    • lost free-swype
    • lost led control
    Welcome to the forums.
    I would suggest wiping the system cache in recovery.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...7256/related/1
    Follow the instructions for the external reset, but as opposed to selecting the factory data reset, select wipe cache partition. Ignore the warning about losing data for the cache wipe.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

GolfDriver, what are the risks here? Can you explain why you think/know this will work? I'm not big on "trial and error" troubleshooting.

Global Posts
    31,611 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

GolfDriver, what are the risks here? Can you explain why you think/know this will work? I'm not big on "trial and error" troubleshooting.
    Risks, none. I wipe cache from recovery once a month to keep the system snappy. If you look at how to flash from one custom ROM to a different one, the instructions usually are to wipe cache, dalvik cache and do a factory reset. If staying on the same one, wiping cache is all that is usually necessary.
    Same thing applies to a Stock ROM. you are upgrading, and therefore, should wipe the cached partition. The data may have been corrupted, causing minor errors in the OS.
    The screen issue is unique. I don't recall hearing of that one before. The cache wipe may not help for that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

First of all, this is not a screen issue. Second, you are clearly guessing this will work and, since I'm tired of cross-your-fingers troubleshooting, I will pass on your suggestion.

Anyone else?

Global Posts
    31,611 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

First of all, this is not a screen issue. Second, you are clearly guessing this will work and, since I'm tired of cross-your-fingers troubleshooting, I will pass on your suggestion.

Anyone else?
    There is no need to be rude. I am only trying to help.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,768 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Anyone else?
    That was a legitimate trouble shooting step. This is, after all, trouble shooting. Without being there and seeing your device in person the best anyone will be able to offer are things that have been known to fix issues before.

Next question. After taking the update to Kit Kat did you perform a factory reset? When going from one version of an OS (4.3) to another major version (4.4) sometimes a factory reset is required. This is because of the many changes made to the underlying framework of the device.

Can I guarantee that will fix the issues as well? Nope. But it has for a great many others. I'm sorry that I don't have a concrete "here's how to fix your issues" answer, but nobody else anywhere on the Internet will either.

Best of luck.
    VDub2174, Ry, P-raggles and 1 others like this.

Anyone else?
    You come on here asking for help, no reason to be a d!ck about possible fixes. If you didn't like what was suggested simply wait for others to respond...

Anyone else?
    You asked a question and he suggested a solution. We always try and help and what he suggested honestly has zero risk at all.. And doesn't take long to do.. And may solve your issue.

Please remember we aren't programmers of Android and we were not apart of the process for KitKat... We are just phone geeks who enjoy Android and also enjoy helping people. We have helped troubleshoot some odd issues but we aren't going to be able to instantly say why something went wrong. Sometimes with big updates a wipe is necessary to fix wonky things going on with the phone.

Remember you asked for troubleshooting steps.. That's what he provided.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    13,381 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Anyone else?
    After a big system update it's usually recommended that you wipe cache or perform a factory reset (which will delete all your user data, so backup before hand) to clear out an issues that may pop-up. Of the issues you are reporting:

•cannot charge phone while "on" - Not sure why this is happening, but the phone should still be useable when it's charging. Is this issue occurring when the phone is plugged into wall power outlet or USB power source?
    •battery consumption 80% worse - Factory reset or wiping cache should fix this.
    •cannot pair bluetooth headset - I believe there are issues paring certain devices with Bluetooth on 4.4.x. Not sure if it's fixed in 4.4.3, but if it is, then it won't help you until the device is updated to the latest and/or if Moto issues a patch to correct the problem.
    •bluetooth car stereo unusable (stuttering) - I think this is also related to 4.4.x.
    •lost wi-fi connections to some routers - Have you reset the router? I understand this starting occurring with the 4.4.2 update, but hopefully a reset of the router will fix the problem (if not, then the factory reset/wipe cache should).
    •lost lock screen swipe to app - I know you can swipe to camera, but are you referring to set any app as the one you swipe to?
    •lost free-swipe - This may be due to Verizon removing that service from the 4.4.2 updates to the Razr devices.
    •lost dark TM background - Likely a move by Moto to remove that theme. SMS App alternatives exists in the Play Store to give you those themes. Though, I understand the frustration in losing it with this update.
    •lost led control - Were you using an app to control the LED? If so, which one?
    •zaphrox flashlight does not work - This may be due to the developer needing to update the app to support this device and/or the 4.4.2 update. Have you taken a look at other apps to see if those work? If you prefer this one then I would suggest reaching out to the developer to see if there is a fix or if an update (if that's what is needed) is coming.
    Let us know if you decide to clear the cache. There's no harm in doing that and it won't create issues with the device. If you factory reset be sure to backup the device and sync with your Accounts (Google) to make sure things are saved (i.e. contacts, photos, etc.).

KitKat PROS:
    • none

KitKat CONS:
    • lost free-swype
    • lost led control
    Can you please clarify which device you have? You mention both the razr maxx and razr maxx hd.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    VDub2174 likes this.

First, putting on my mod cap, I want to remind everyone that the community guidelines require that everyone post in a polite manner.please read the community guidelines linked to in my signature.

Now with regards to your issue, there is something wrong with the update. Sometimes, clearing cache or a factory data reset fixes it. Golfdriver97 recommended the lightest option first.

Please remember that everyone here posts as a hobby. We do not get paid for this. You also aren't paying any money did using this forum. If you want, you are welcome to call Verizon or Motorola for their assistance. They are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the update. To be honest, sometimes the troubleshooting advice I have found here is better than what I found from Verizon or the manufacturer. But you do have that option

With regards to "trial and error" troubleshooting... Troubleshooting is usually a best guess situation. One solution might work for someone but not for someone else. A few medical examples, I had a bad flu and my doctor prescribed me antibiotics. I had a bad allergic reaction and the doctor had to prescribe me something else. When I was younger, I had bad acne. The doctor prescribed me different medicine to try until we found the one that worked best.

Troubleshooting is always an iterative trial and error process, starting with the least invasive interventions for the most likely problems, and proceeding to more invasive interventions and less likely problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

srkmagnus, thank you for your help ... I can charge via USB. Charging with a power cable still shuts down the phone. Yes, I tried clear cache and, no, it did not help. I can simply adjust the way in which I charge by charging during the day via USB instead of at night via power cable.

srkmagnus, thank you for your help ... I can charge via USB. Charging with a power cable still shuts down the phone. Yes, I tried clear cache and, no, it did not help. I can simply adjust the way in which I charge by charging during the day via USB instead of at night via power cable.
    It certainly should not be this way. If you are under warranty or extended warranty then call Verizon for troubleshooting, and/or replacement.

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Cannot Charge Droid Maxx (and other issues) after 4.4 update

This is not the RAZR maxx forum its the droid maxx forum

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

You may not like to hear this, but an Android version upgrade that has problems like you are describing is often fixed by doing a factory data reset and setting everything up from scratch. (I really think that an Android version upgrade should *always* have a factory reset done right after the upgrade.) That's even more of a change from wiping cache, as all of your apps and data are wiped, and you should definitely back up any photos, videos, etc., that you have store on the phone if you do that. If the problems persist after a wiped cache and then a factory reset, then it's time to call Verizon about a warranty replacement.

But, as Umass021 said, this is in the wrong forum if you have a Droid Razr Maxx HD. This is the forum for the Droid Maxx, which came out in August 2013 along with the Droid Ultra and Droid Mini. This thread should probably be moved to that forum.

Global Posts
    11,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

The thread location was my fault - moved from generic Kit Kat to the Droid Maxx but you guys are right, he said Razr Maxx HD. Moved again to the correct spot - apologies!
    Ry and doogald like this.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    You may not like to hear this, but an Android version upgrade that has problems like you are describing is often fixed by doing a factory data reset and setting everything up from scratch. (I really think that an Android version upgrade should *always* have a factory reset done right after the upgrade.) That's even more of a change from wiping cache, as all of your apps and data are wiped, and you should definitely back up any photos, videos, etc., that you have store on the phone if you do that. If the problems persist after a wiped cache and then a factory reset, then it's time to call Verizon about a warranty replacement.

But, as Umass021 said, this is in the wrong forum if you have a Droid Razr Maxx HD. This is the forum for the Droid Maxx, which came out in August 2013 along with the Droid Ultra and Droid Mini. This thread should probably be moved to that forum.
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.