Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Crazy high battery drain

Ever since the KitKat update, my phone has has a crazy amount of drain. This is a screenshot taken after typical usage. Is anything abnormal here?

Default Re: Crazy high battery drain

It would be helpful to see a few other screens. Do this:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You may want to boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the cache partition, if you haven't already done so. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f75a168264
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

All I did was reinstall all of my apps after doing a factory restore for the issue that I discussed before. Cleaning the cache partition before the wipe didn't help. I'll furnish the remaining info when I get the chance. I don't think wiping the Dalvik cache will help, either. I suppose I could try ART again, but after it froze on bootup on me last time, necessitating a factory restore (this was well before I rooted), I'm a little reluctant to try again. I suppose I could always make a Nandroid backup, just in case it does happen again.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok, here are the screenshots.
    One note: the extended periods with no signal actually have WiFi connection, so battery drain seems minimal when the screen is off.
    Crazy high battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1409338744693.jpgCrazy high battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1409338757343.jpgCrazy high battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1409338780475.jpgCrazy high battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1409338797064.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am having the exact same problem as DevilInPgh. I did a factory reset about 2 months ago because I was having battery problems but I think the issue has become even worse since then. Also my battery goes straight from 20% to like 5%. Even when I have 100% charge it only lasts for like 2 minutes of normal use.

Crazy high battery drain-screenshot_2014-09-05-21-47-00.pngCrazy high battery drain-screenshot_2014-09-05-21-47-36.pngCrazy high battery drain-screenshot_2014-09-05-21-48-04.pngCrazy high battery drain-screenshot_2014-09-05-21-48-24.png

I deleted the uppgrade Google Play Services (4.4.52), and my battery capacity is back to normal with 4.4.2.
    Bertil J. Nilssen

Quote Originally Posted by DevilInPgh View Post
    Ok, here are the screenshots.
    One note: the extended periods with no signal actually have WiFi connection, so battery drain seems minimal when the screen is off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409338744693.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	134584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409338757343.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	134585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409338780475.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	134586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409338797064.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	134587
    Sorry for the delayed response. Not sure how I didn't see this for the past week!

21% time without signal is not insignificant--I wonder if a large part of your battery drain is due to poor signal.

Quote Originally Posted by shaq237 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I am having the exact same problem as DevilInPgh. I did a factory reset about 2 months ago because I was having battery problems but I think the issue has become even worse since then. Also my battery goes straight from 20% to like 5%. Even when I have 100% charge it only lasts for like 2 minutes of normal use
    Although I agree that your battery life isn't great for a Droid Razr Maxx HD, I'd point out a couple of things:

1. The steepest curve of the battery drain was coincident with your GPS being on, which can suck battery like crazy.
    2. Your cell signal isn't consistently good, which can also lead to battery drain.
    3. Your phone is getting a little older, and an older battery can start to wear down. How old is it?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Although I agree that your battery life isn't great for a Droid Razr Maxx HD, I'd point out a couple of things:

1. The steepest curve of the battery drain was coincident with your GPS being on, which can suck battery like crazy.
    2. Your cell signal isn't consistently good, which can also lead to battery drain.
    3. Your phone is getting a little older, and an older battery can start to wear down. How old is it?
    Thanks for your reply Diddy.

1. I don't use my GPS often. Maybe I should have posted stats from a normal day's usage.
    2. I now use airplane mode when I am riding the subway underground to save battery.
    3. I have had this phone since December 2012. The battery was lasting much longer until about 2 months ago and now it seems much worse.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. Not sure how I didn't see this for the past week!

21% time without signal is not insignificant--I wonder if a large part of your battery drain is due to poor signal.
    I'll have to do this again before going into work. The drain still happens, even in areas with good signal.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I don't have any insight, but can lend my voice to those who experiencing dramatically poorer battery life since kit kat.

I seldom use GPS.

Seems to me from looking at battery guru that two things seem different, though I can't quantify it. The phone seems much more sensitive to signal strength. That is, when the signal isn't great, the phone gets hot, and the rate of change increase a lot. The Android OK and System seem a lot higher.

Posted via Android Central App
    Treo 650 => Treo 700P => BB Curve 8330 => VZW BB Bold 9650 => VZW BB Bold 9930 => Droid RAZR MAXX HD
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I talked to tech support at Verizon, and they said that the crazy drain is not normal. I finally left my phone unplugged for 1 1/2 hours with no activity, and I still saw a drop of 10%. I'm about ready to take up Verizon on its free early Edge upgrade offer and get a G3. Will having a rooted, unlocked phone that I will try to get to unroot as much as possible hurt me on the offer?Crazy high battery drain-uploadfromtaptalk1410721339990.jpg