Something is murdering my battery, or...

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Navigation is a major draw on the battery. I remember people saying that on the 3G phones, they used navigation, had it plugged into the car charger, and the battery was still discharging faster than it could charge. just something to think about

Reactions: derek128

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Well the phone has been swapped for a new unit (which fortunately has no other issues, at least none that have been detected yet). Now begins the monitoring of the new device to see whether the lack of staying power was in my mind or truly something to be concerned about. Update in a couple of days.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been a bit concerned about my battery drain but I think that I found the cause. When I'm at work, the battery can, even with minimal use, drain to 85% or under. My office building is a notoriously bad reception point and even though the phone indicates a decent 4G signal in some areas, there is clearly an impact on power. Today, I shut down data and background data and after several hours, Circle Battery showed very little drain. The nice thing about that is that your phone is still active and you can still receive and send text messages. If I need data, I can turn it back on. I may configure a smart action to automate the data shutdown during specific periods.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Today confirmed my suspicions about my office building's signal problems draining the Maxx' battery. I got to work at 6:30 AM, powered up the phone (fully charged overnight) and turned off Data and Background Data again. After 5 hours, the battery has only dropped 2%, mostly due to my lightly playing around with it a bit. Motorola\Verizon is on the verge of releasing an OTA system update (advance copies are already out there) which, among other things, is supposed to improve LTE signal seeking and reception. According to some of the early adoptors, it appears to be doing that. After I get it, I'll let Data stay on at the office and see what differences there are in regard to the battery, if any.

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
A positive update on my battery saga.

It seems my last Maxx did have a bad battery. Roughly the same amount of usage as day one with the original, where it dropped to 60 percent, this new one was sitting at 90. There was some light to moderate usage on day 2. Checking the levels today at 3:00pm and the battery was at 20 percent. This is having been off the charger since being picked up early Thursday afternoon.

This is what I expected to see all along.

derek128

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
wow! that's truly Amazing! I am def. gonna bring my Maxx back to verizon store tomorrow. I also feel like i have a possible bad battery as well.. I took the Maxx off the charger at 12:00PM this afternoon, and its just after 12:00AM and im Down to 20% I am Only on Average of 12 Hours, before my battery dies out! Also, today iv'e been on the phone for 4 Hours Straight.. Do you think i am Over reacting?? or, do you think i might Indeed have a Bum Maxx Battery??

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hell, take it back for a replacement. As you read, I saw a huge improvement, so there was obviously something up with mine. You will either end up with the same battery performance or see an improvement as I did. The only bad thing that could happen is ending up with a phone that may have other issues.

All day today I've been having data outages (when out and at home), something I never had with my original MAXX. I am hoping this is something on Verizon's end and not a sign of an issue with this replacement.

Last edited:

brockpsu

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
For those of you with a bad battery, be sure to know what you are comparing. I had a TB with extended battery, and this phone does just as well if not better. Sure, some days when I'm at work I leave with 30%, but the TB was the same, and it's due to poor signal. On the weekends, I haven't seen it dip below 60% with an overnight charge.

derek128

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
For your sake, i also do hope it's just something on verizon's end, and usually IT IS.. So try not too worry too much about it. As for me, i got a phone call from the verizon rep iv'e been speaking with Today, and this Dude hits me with the BAD news that; There was a DELAY with my New Maxx Order because EVERY store in my entire area, is "out of stock" on the Maxx! Also, he tells me that Their warehouse is ALSO out of stock on this damn phone!! So now i have to play the waiting game!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Quite true, which is why I've kept my eye on it just to make sure it was an actual issue. One thing I forget to mention in my original post was that the phone dropped from full charge to 80% yesterday after 20 minutes of no real use; I checked a few settings here and there.

I'll run by a corporate store tomorrow and swap it out with another. Hopefully not for one with other issues, and hopefully this was simply a case of a bad battery.

Wow, mine did the same thing today. After less than an hour I was down to 72%?
I finally reset it and now it seems normal. Something not playing nice?

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm still a bit puzzled by my battery life. In view of my office building's poor signal reception, I shut down the phone's data yesterday and after around 7+ hours the battery had dropped to around 92% with very minimal usage. Today, I left data on but downshifted to 3G at the office. After checking the weather a few times and Dl'ing something from Market (no phone calls or texts), the battery dropped to 82% in 8 hours. After getting home and toggling 4G back on I made a 45 minute phone call and the battery dropped to 78%. Right now, after another hour, it is at 77%. I suspect that, overall, given my relatively light use, the battery is OK but I really wonder about these reports of insane battery life with this phone. Having 4G on all the time and using the phone at a medium level doesn't jibe with some of what I'm reading. My 14 day return period ends on Friday and I'm not convinced that I would have reason to swap the phone for another one but if someone can convince me, I'm open to listening.

anon(37023)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with the above post.

I don't doubt the other users reports of super long life, but it would be great if we could start a thread which would provide; (1) total battery life, (2) screen on & talk time, and (3) phone settings, such as; data settings, 3/4g, Bluetooth/wifi, display brightness.

If we did that and kept the info limited to those few parameters, it could be a useful guide for others and would help with setup/settings.

Just a thought....

posted using Tapatalk

chris06ob

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anybody check the battery usage settings? Mine says "media" is using 40 to 50 percent of my battery @ any given time?. I tried force closing but it just restarts. Any ideas as to what this media is? Is it the culprit b/c with a full charge and moderate use im getting only like 8 hours max b4 im down to like 20 percent which isnt bad but i expected more. Ciuld i possibly have a bum batt?

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
yesterday i setup my laptop so it would not go into standby (to use motocast) and at the same time i was running google music to upload my music to the cloud. this seemed to seriously drain my battery. i ran these apps for approx. 4 hours and my phone was dead by 9 pm. turned it on about 8 am.

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I hit 26 hours when I hit the mark of 10% battery left... Took four 3-5min vids, many photos, listened to a full CD via 3.5 plug, texted 25 times, GPS'ed for about 15-20 minutes, few phone calls and a few trips to FB and the web...

Impressed, after two complete drains and full charges!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12