Something is murdering my battery, or...

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
...I got a Maxx with a bum battery. With light use, excluding day one, the battery has been falling fast, or at least I think so, but I could be wrong.

Example: From a full charge this morning (removed from charger at 7am), a few checks of Google Maps to find a location, one very short phone call, 2 text messages, and 2 downloads from the market. Checking the phone now (8:45 pm) it currently sits at 60 percent. The phone checks 2 email accounts once an hour, has GPS on, screen brightness at 90, and has a constant, strong 4G signal.

Would this be considered a normal amount of drain to expect? Based on what I've read that others are getting with heavy usage, I wasn't expecting the battery levels to plummet so fast from what I consider very light use.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I would think there is something wrong with your device. I lose about 20% every 3-4 hours with far heavier use then you have listed. You might wanna looking into a warranty replacement.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk

anon(37023)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its so hard to compare because there are so many variables. We each run Widgets and do different things, so trying to say if your usage is abnormal is almost impossible. For me, I'm only running Power Control widget, Google Voice settings widget, and Business Calendar widget - I have a strong 4g signal, ans I just surf the web and some texting. With that I've lost about 20-25% in the last three hours. I'd like even more battery, but this beats the heck out of the regular Razr and Bionic - and is on par with my iPhone 4, while giving me 4g and a screen I can actually see and type on.

I'd like to see this phone 2-3 mm thicker, but with an increase in battery capacity to 5000 Mah. That would really be something!

sent using Tapatalk

anon(37023)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I just don't know why these phone manufacturers can't understand that we don't need to keep making things smaller or thinner, we need to make them USEFUL. Give me a stable OS, strong signal, and really long battery life and I am a happy camper. This Maxx is the closest thing I've found thus far....and I've been using smartphones since the original Palm/Kyocera phone on Verizon.

sent using Tapatalk

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Its so hard to compare because there are so many variables. We each run Widgets and do different things, so trying to say if your usage is abnormal is almost impossible.

Quite true, which is why I've kept my eye on it just to make sure it was an actual issue. One thing I forget to mention in my original post was that the phone dropped from full charge to 80% yesterday after 20 minutes of no real use; I checked a few settings here and there.

I'll run by a corporate store tomorrow and swap it out with another. Hopefully not for one with other issues, and hopefully this was simply a case of a bad battery.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
What apps have you installed? Are you using a task killer and/or live wallpapers? Are you logged into Gtalk and/or syncing with social networking accounts? Are you able to run this test only connected to WiFi?

It's likely an LTE thing, but all of the above variables are worth considering.

lousvette

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like unusally poor battery performance. I unplugged mine yesterday morning at 6:00 AM. I am a moderate users and the battery is currently at 73%, 25 hours later

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
What apps have you installed? Are you using a task killer and/or live wallpapers? Are you logged into Gtalk and/or syncing with social networking accounts? Are you able to run this test only connected to WiFi?

It's likely an LTE thing, but all of the above variables are worth considering.

No tasks killers. No live wallpapers. I am not a member of any social networks, so nothing of the sort installed.
WiFi has not been tested.

Dolphin Browser, a digital clock widget, and Battery Left are the only apps installed.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
t the phone dropped from full charge to 80% yesterday after 20 minutes of no real use; I checked a few settings here and there.

I would say this is the biggest thing to prove bad battery. If it drops from 100% to 80% within 20 minutes, something is wrong. So with that, to then get almost 12 hours of use and only use 20% additional, I think it is good, but there is a problem based on the immediate drop of 20%

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
...I got a Maxx with a bum battery. With light use, excluding day one, the battery has been falling fast, or at least I think so, but I could be wrong.

Example: From a full charge this morning (removed from charger at 7am), a few checks of Google Maps to find a location, one very short phone call, 2 text messages, and 2 downloads from the market. Checking the phone now (8:45 pm) it currently sits at 60 percent. The phone checks 2 email accounts once an hour, has GPS on, screen brightness at 90, and has a constant, strong 4G signal.

Would this be considered a normal amount of drain to expect? Based on what I've read that others are getting with heavy usage, I wasn't expecting the battery levels to plummet so fast from what I consider very light use.

Almost 14 hours off the charger and you have you used 40% of the battery. Thats an average discharge rate of 2.87% an hour which puts you at about 34 hours between charges. Still very impressive, but with your small amount of use it might be a concern. I would watch it for the next couple of days and see how it goes.

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Almost 14 hours off the charger and you have you used 40% of the battery. Thats an average discharge rate of 2.87% an hour which puts you at about 34 hours between charges. Still very impressive, but with your small amount of use it might be a concern. I would watch it for the next couple of days and see how it goes.

Certainly, but again, and like you touched on, with the little amount I actually use the phone and the fact I don't have anything going on in the background that should be draining the hell out of it, I would expect far better from a battery this size.

I just did a factory reset and will keep my eyes on things (especially the huge drop right off the charger) for the next couple of days. If this pattern continues, I will look to replacing it with another.

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
If someone turns off background data they could still manually update there data needing things correct?

derek128

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Now, i am starting to think, I also "might" have a Bum Battery! (day#1) Off charger at 10:00AM and completely Dead at 4:00PM (moderate usage) (day#2) Off charger at 12:00PM completely Dead at 10:00PM (Light Usage) (day#3) Off charger at 11:00AM and Completely Dead at 9:30PM (Moderate-Heavy Usage) (day#4) Off charger at 12:00PM and completely dead at 9:30PM.. On day # 3 AND 4 I had been using Google Navigator for 5 Hours Straight on both days.. Not sure IF that is considered "Moderate" Or, "Heavy Usage" ?? and i also had my Bluetooth ON Constantly from the moment i take the Razr Maxx off the charger, until it Completely Dies out on me... I Also have Very Strong 4g Everywhere i go.. Can someone Please help me understand if this battery is a Good one, or maybe i should replace the phone?? I got the Maxx on Friday, January 27th, So i Only have either 10 or 14 days to return it!! Iv'e already had it 5 days now... please help... thanks

Last edited:

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Since doing a factory reset and setting everything back up, the battery life with light usage has definitely improved, though, I still expected it to be better.

The thing is, I may be expecting too much, especially when considering the phone is constantly on a strong 4G connection.

I'll have another update in a few days. I'll also be upping my phone usage to see how things play out.

Last edited:

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what's the matter with you device, I get easily a whole day with heavy use. On average after my 9 hours at work and 6 hours at the fire station I serve at I come home with around 50-60 battery life, I spend a lot of time surfing the net and watching Netflix. On top of music, texts and emails for 2 accounts, i use the social media app built into the os.

anon(37023)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I may have given praise too soon, but I'd like your opinions too...

My battery appears to start draining fast last couple days and I've done nothing different. I'm only running power control plus widget, small (1x3) business calendar widget, and Google voice settings widget. Nothing set to auto-refresh, screen on 50% brightness, and great 4g signal. As an example f fast draining; I've been scanning various forums on Tapatalk and having two simultaneous text conversations for 51 minutes now, and lost 11% at that rate I'd be dead in only 8-9 hours with no calls. Does this seem excessive or should I quit my whining?

sent using Tapatalk

derek128

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
When i read a post like your's, It makes me feel like something is def. wrong with my battery! YOUR getting around 15+ Hours, and still has 50% battery left! As for me, i took the Maxx off the charger at 6:00AM and at 6:30pm is was at 5%!! which forced me to have to plug it in the Car Charger.. That's ONLY 12 Hours im getting, and my battery is Dead! and your getting 15 hours, Heavy Usage, and STILL come home with 50% charge left.. I just don't get it.... I am Seriously wondering if i should send My Razr Maxx back, and get another one.. What would You Do??

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
When i read a post like your's, It makes me feel like something is def. wrong with my battery! YOUR getting around 15+ Hours, and still has 50% battery left! As for me, i took the Maxx off the charger at 6:00AM and at 6:30pm is was at 5%!! which forced me to have to plug it in the Car Charger.. That's ONLY 12 Hours im getting, and my battery is Dead! and your getting 15 hours, Heavy Usage, and STILL come home with 50% charge left.. I just don't get it.... I am Seriously wondering if i should send My Razr Maxx back, and get another one.. What would You Do??

I would send it back and get a new one, even on the days with my heaviest use I still came home with about 15%. When I say heaviest use I mean an amount of use I have never ever used before due to the limit of previous android batteries. I have to add that because of the limited 4g service most of my actions are done on 3g. However it is still set to look for LTE so I'm sure that uses battery.

Also take into consideration when when judging the phone, with light use on my old android device I never saw 12 hours, so even with a possible faulty battery your beating most other android phones.

derek128

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
yes, your right... and thanks for the reply.. I am gonna bring it back to the verizon store this weekend, for a new one.. THEN, i will have something to compare too.. This Maxx, is my FIRST 4g lte Device.. So, i really Don't have anything to compare too. I never owned a Bionic, Nexus, Atrix, or any other 4g device. I came straight from a Droid X, to the Razr Maxx... Maybe i am expecting too much, with all the Hype about this battery.. I do know that my Droid X, would NOT last 12 hours even on a 3g network, because i use Navigation for work atleast 4 to 6 hours a day..

cdicesare2002

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
That isn't bad at all if your using that much navigation on battery! Navigation is a constant use function on top of the normal background data. I think a 3300 battery is only rated at Maximum 4 hours. Granted navigation isn't a pulling data none stop, which is why your getting more hours out of battery but it still sucks lots of data and power.

I will try to find the battery data I mentioned and post it.

Reactions: derek128