Is the camera any better with the new OTA Update?

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am just curious if anyone noticed that the camera is better in the latest OTA Update?

When I had the Razr I noticed the camera was horrible in lower light conditions and definately not the overall quality as the camera in my GS2.

I took back the Razr cause the Maxx got announced, and am contemplating getting the MAX, but the camera quality means a lot being as I use my phone as my primary camera.

The GS2 has a great camera in it and takes great pictures/videos indoors with lower light. The camera is a deal breaker for me if they didn't improve on it.

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I know the Razr and Maxx share the same camera and I think the same software.

I find my Maxx's camera just fine, except for low light where is sucks the bitter root of disappointment.

So what to do? If you really have to shoot a picture in low light, bring or find more light!
Use your head and position your friends near light sources or aim light at them.
Steady your phone against a wall or chair or something to make it rock solid.
Then snap the pic.

I wish there was a way to rig a remote flash.

I was trained by a newspaper photographer he used to use a remote flash all the time. He would bounce the flash off walls and the ceiling to light what he was shooting. (it was attached to his camera by this long curly cord.) It would freeze the image like a flash will, but the light took on the color of the wall or ceiling and make a more natural and warmer.

There's gotta be a way, I just can't think of how.

Hey what about the speaker jack, the shutter makes a noise, I've even heard it over headphones.
If the timings close, I'll get back to you later on this one,,,,

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Most of my shots are more spontanious of my daughter, and trying to set up a shot by moving everything around for better lighting isn't really an option. The GS2 is just superior in the camera department, which is a major bummer being as I really like the MAXX.

I am a believer it is mainly the camera software as opposed to the hardware. I just think Motorola needs to tweak it for better pictures.

SuperJETT

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
He's talking about after the update that is rolling out.

I didn't take many pics prior and haven't since either yet, so I have no opinion on it.

From what I know the Razr and Maxx share the same camera and I think the same software.

I find my Maxx's camera just fine, except for low light where is sucks the bitter root of disappointment.

So what to do? If you really have to shoot a picture in low light, bring or find more light!
Use your head and position your friends near light sources or aim light at them.
Steady your phone against a wall or chair or something to make it rock solid.
Then snap the pic.

I wish there was a way to rig a remote flash.

I was trained by a newspaper photographer he used to use a remote flash all the time. He would bounce the flash off walls and the ceiling to light what he was shooting. (it was attached to his camera by this long curly cord.) It would freeze the image like a flash will, but the light took on the color of the wall or ceiling and make a more natural and warmer.

There's gotta be a way, I just can't think of how.

Hey what about the speaker jack, the shutter makes a noise, I've even heard it over headphones.
If the timings close, I'll get back to you later on this one,,,,

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about the same thing. I had the Razr back in December, swapped it for the Nexus, then I swapped that for a 4S. I haven't been able to shake my desire for an Android phone so I've been considering the Maxx.

My main issues with the Razr was the battery life and the camera. The Maxx obviously fixed the battery issue, but the camera still remains. One of the reasons I went to the 4S was for the battery life and camera. I use my phone for my primary camera and I like one that works well.

I understand that it won't be as good as the 4S, but it would be nice if the update helped as the Razr's camera pretty much sucked donkey balls.

Thanks!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any input on the camera? I'd really like to hear an update as I'm kinda interested in getting one. Thanks!

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
my gf's maxx takes great pics. I will try and upload a few later. the flash works well imo, i mean any camera with an aperture so small will not take nice pictures in low light w/o a flash.

A steady hand is key and I found out that holding the camera button down until its focused (usually quick) then letting go is the superior way to snap with this phone. give it a try and let me know. but her camera def take nice pics- a friend was looking through them and couldn't believe how "clear" and "sharp" they were...most Motorola cameras take nice pics, they are just finicky

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I noticed for some indoor shots requiring flash, the phone would engage the flash but the exposure would be made immediately after or before the flash so that the image ends up being really dark. This problem is reproducible 50% of the time.

also I always get two flashes per shot with flash. Is this normal?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I noticed for some indoor shots requiring flash, the phone would engage the flash but the exposure would be made immediately after or before the flash so that the image ends up being really dark. This problem is reproducible 50% of the time.

also I always get two flashes per shot with flash. Is this normal?

I notice this when I'm trying to take a picture of a check for my Chase bank application. The flash goes off before the picture is taken thus leaving a dark image. I find myself holding a flashlight just to make it readable.

ae1990

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about the same thing. I had the Razr back in December, swapped it for the Nexus, then I swapped that for a 4S. I haven't been able to shake my desire for an Android phone so I've been considering the Maxx.

My main issues with the Razr was the battery life and the camera. The Maxx obviously fixed the battery issue, but the camera still remains. One of the reasons I went to the 4S was for the battery life and camera. I use my phone for my primary camera and I like one that works well.

I understand that it won't be as good as the 4S, but it would be nice if the update helped as the Razr's camera pretty much sucked donkey balls.

Thanks!

Might want to give the rezound a try my brother has a Droid razr and yea that camera blows...he just got the ota this morning that's rolling out and it broke his camera flash it doesn't work now...my best buddy has a 4s and my rezound camera is every bit as good. How ever different roms make a difference so perhaps ics will fix the camera issue for Droid razr...I know that when I flashed bamf for ever 1.0.8 to my thunderbolt the camera was the best Ive ever seen in a cell phone and it was brought over from the my touch 4g...HTC cameras are pretty impressive for cell phones..in many test the my touch 4g outperfomed the 4s gs2 nexus other current top dogs in a camera shootout.just .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non