Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Default Re: Droid razr maxx case

About how thick is the commuter case?
    Deluxe Member

My issues with most cases are:

1 - Way too bulky for my liking.
    2 - Hides all the 'cool' of the phone.
    3 - Makes one phone look like all others with a case: a black brick (esp. true with Otterbox cases).

Not saying the cases that support the above are bad. Otterbox cases are great at protection against, well, just about anything. But, I don't care to sacrifice the 'perks' of a slim, nice looking phone for a bit more 'just in case' protection (considering I pay money for the Asurion insurance as it is).

If I go with a case, I'll probably go with this one:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I have a similar case on my DInc and I'm a fan. Adds a bit of flare (That's what the flare's about. It's about fun.) with the protection, but doesn't completely hide the phone. Plus, it has a slim form factor, so doesn't add much bulk.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going naked with the MAXX. I'll probably go naked for the 14 day return period, at least, just to see how things go.

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MA2GA28 View Post

If I go with a case, I'll probably go with this one:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I have a similar case on my DInc and I'm a fan. Adds a bit of flare (That's what the flare's about. It's about fun.) with the protection, but doesn't completely hide the phone. Plus, it has a slim form factor, so doesn't add much bulk.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going naked with the MAXX. I'll probably go naked for the 14 day return period, at least, just to see how things go.
    That looks very similar to the glossy bumper case that Verizon sells only a lot cheaper (19.95 or 16.00 with my job discount). I have that one and love it. It adds just enough grip surface to the edges of the phone while providing some cushioning if it falls. For $6.95, I say go for it.
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by lewie61 View Post
    That looks very similar to the glossy bumper case that Verizon sells only a lot cheaper (19.95 or 16.00 with my job discount). I have that one and love it. It adds just enough grip surface to the edges of the phone while providing some cushioning if it falls. For $6.95, I say go for it.
    If you take anything away from the Forum, take this: Don't buy accessories from the service provider. It's like buying tires from a car dealership. They only have a few options to choose from, and you'll pay twice what you would in the open market.

For instance, Verizon stores have an 'accessory package' that they will include with phones 'at a special price.' Basically, its an extra charger (which most won't need), a case, a cheap-o headset, a screen protector, and a belt clip (which doesn't work with the case). They charge $95 for that (which they claims saves you $40).

Here's the breakdown of what you can buy these items for on the secondary market:

Car Charger (better than an extra wall charger, IMO): $8
    Case w/ Belt Clip: $30 (for similar quality as VZW offering)
    Screen Protector: $12 (set of 2)
    Headset: $10

That's $60...saving you $35 over VZW's 'special priced' package (and I was leaning toward the high end with some of those prices). And, it'd be an even better savings if you just went with the case I linked before.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

MA2GA28 is absolutely spot on!

posted using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

How goes the typing and keyboard functionality? Past OB's I have had with BB's and Droids have made it hard for my big hands to type correctly.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bed269 View Post
    About how thick is the commuter case?

If you would like specific angles, just ask.
    Ed - Klingon women are HOT! (A Trekkie for life)
    Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

the otterbox's cheap plastic screen protector ruins screen visibility as it gets dirty instantly and is impossible to clean. it also makes touch sensitivity far less sensitive.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithFarts View Post
    the otterbox's cheap plastic screen protector ruins screen visibility as it gets dirty instantly and is impossible to clean. it also makes touch sensitivity far less sensitive.
    I never use the screen protectors and let the raised portion of the case keep items from coming into contact with the screen.
    Thanked by:

I use the Otterbox Defender. Learned the hard way that the phone is not so tough. I dropped from 3' onto wood floor, Phone was trashed. Had to buy a new one. The Defender is a bit bulky but fits well and not worried about damage now. Increadible Phone!

If anyone is looking for a case that is a bit thinner, my friend grabbed this one Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Motorola Droid Razr (Verizon & Rogers) [Diztronic Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Seems to be a bit slimmer, plus decent protection.

I have a screen protector and the Otterbox Defender on my phone. I have had absolutely NO issues with sensitivity or being able to see the screen. Yes, it does appear to smudge quite easily, but the case is great, in my opinion. I put the screen protector on, just in case dirt or sand worked in under the case's built-in protector. Again, I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

When my Maxx arrives, it will be staying naked. My Droid X has been naked for the past 8 months after trying many cases and screen protectors (a lot of them seen here) and it looks just about brand new. Even with a drop or two. If I got a case, it wouldn't be for protection...maybe for more grip.
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

Quote Originally Posted by excel775 View Post
    If anyone is looking for a case that is a bit thinner, my friend grabbed this one Amazon.com: Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible TPU Case for Motorola Droid Razr (Verizon & Rogers) [Diztronic Retail Packaging]: Cell Phones & Accessories

Seems to be a bit slimmer, plus decent protection.
    Tried the Otterbox Commuter, and it made the Razr Maxx feel like a boat anchor: very bulky, heavy, and less grip than the naked phone. It probably provides some drop protection; however, if the phone strikes the screen in a fall, the screen is likely to shatter no mater how you have the phone encased. The Commuter and Defender really provide protection for everything but the screen (Gorilla Glass).

I like the Diztronic, as it protects the frame (likely not quite as much as the Commuter or Defender), provides substantial grip, adds little to overall size and weight, and easily slides in and out of pockets. Now that Diztronic has a TPU case for the Maxx, I'll be making my order soon.

Looks like a nice case, GRB11. I guess it's all up to preference. Even with an Otterbox Defender on my Maxx, I still think it's pretty light. As far as screen protection goes, there aren't many cases that would keep the glass on any phone from breaking if it fell the right way, I suppose...

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GRB11 View Post
    Tried the Otterbox Commuter, and it made the Razr Maxx feel like a boat anchor: very bulky, heavy, and less grip than the naked phone. It probably provides some drop protection; however, if the phone strikes the screen in a fall, the screen is likely to shatter no mater how you have the phone encased. The Commuter and Defender really provide protection for everything but the screen (Gorilla Glass).
    I didn't find that it added much bulk at all, let alone any weight. I also have no issues gripping the phone. Some aesthetics of the phone itself are lost, but that is to be expected when using a case that covers much of the phone.
    ronniesherard likes this.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ROM

I got the otter commuter and chose to not use the included screen protector. I also took the clip holster from the otter defender I had on my old X and modified one edgde by cutting out a nice rectangle hole so the holster wouldn't push the vol and power buttons when inserted. I used a dremel and took my time so it looks like it came that way, best of both worlds.
    Droid Razr Maxx 4.1.2

I just ordered my Razr Maxx yesterday and after hours of searching for a case here is what I decided on.

Crystal Clear Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX Accessory | eBay

The 2 main reasons I chose this case were A) it shouldn't add a lot of bulk and B) It's clear so the phone almost looks naked, but still has the protection of a case.
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    I just ordered my Razr Maxx yesterday and after hours of searching for a case here is what I decided on.

Crystal Clear Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX Accessory | eBay

The 2 main reasons I chose this case were A) it shouldn't add a lot of bulk and B) It's clear so the phone almost looks naked, but still has the protection of a case.
    The only issue I'd have with that case is that its a 'hard' case and you have to 'snap' your phone in, which I read as 'force' your phone in, which means bezel scratches. Defeats the purpose of the case, IMO.

I've actually decided to go naked with my MAXX (I'm about 90% sure at this point). The case I linked to in an earlier post, which is like the one I have on my DInc, is nice, but dust/dirt tends to get caught along the edge around the screen, causing scratches along the side. My DInc is covered in them. Again, kind of defeats the purpose of the case on some level. Yes, they do provide more shock absorption in a drop, but personally I'm not swayed by that.

I bought a tpu case for the Maxx from Verizon and used it until I got the otterbox commuter. Both were good but I get a little more warm and fuzzy feeling having it in the commuter case.

I have the commuter case on mine and was worried about the bulk, but it's actually not bulky at all (IMO). Plus it's so well made that I love having my phone in it. I might check out a defender later, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with the commuter. The more I like my phone the better chance it has of staying in a case (for it's longevity) and I absolutely love this phone. First phone I've kept a case on for more than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post

I looked at the item on E-bay and the case looks like it's for the regular Razr not the Maxx. it's got the characteristic camera hump and the phone that's it shown on appears to have the silver backed Motorola logo on the top edge not the black one that's on the Maxx. Hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie61 View Post
    I looked at the item on E-bay and the case looks like it's for the regular Razr not the Maxx. it's got the characteristic camera hump and the phone that's it shown on appears to have the silver backed Motorola logo on the top edge not the black one that's on the Maxx. Hope I'm wrong.
    I noticed the same thing. I actually had some issues ordering through ebay so I got one from amazon instead. It showed the reg razr in the pic too, but said it was for the maxx. I'll report back when I receive my case.

I just picked up the below holster/shell that I thought wasn't available yet (name below) from VZW and love it.

Holster - Shell/Holster Combo - Rubberized Swivel Holster w/Rear Cover Shell w/ kickstand

RAZR to the MAXX!
    8703/8330/Storm/OG Droid/HTC Inc/Droid X/RAZR/GNEX/RAZR MAXX/GS3/Note 2/MAXX HD/Note 3/Droid MAXX & GPad 8.3 DE Big Red!

I had the Verizon holster combo for my Bionic. Does this one have the little stand built into the back for the Maxx as well?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast