Is the screen as bad as some say?

GRB11

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Hair splitting. The Razr screen is brilliant. Manufacturers create a perceived need for quality and leave some with the impression that unless you have an HD screen, you ain't got a high-quality device. The people who feel that HD is critical are the ones who get something else because the specs imply it's better.

Razr Maxx is one solid phone all the way around, and the battery is fantastic.

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The screen looks great to me, I don't understand some of the whinning we hear about not being HD. Everything is bright and clear, nice colors, videos, games, Netflix all look great. I can't see where having a 720 HD display would make much difference?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it would matter. 720p is a selling point. Yes you can notice the difference but if your using it as a normal person and holding it at the normal distance and not up close to your face, it's hard to tell much difference on a small screen.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The ones that complain must have much better eyes than me as the screen looks great to me. Not as nice as my Galaxy Nexus but certainly not anything I would ever complain about.

Reactions: jroc

dahacker

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new phone and have been considering heavily the RAZR MAXX. I currently have a Droid X. I went and looked at the phone. The display is easily the worst display as far as clarity and color of any current high end smartphone. Text is particularly terrible.

1. On auto brightness, the display is much darker and greener than the Droid X on auto brightness.
2. On MAXX brightness the RAZR MAXX is just OK, but side to side with even the Droid X, the RAZR MAXX was still NOT VERY GOOD.
3. At home, my monitors are calibrated with calibration tools. I am very used to correctly balanced displays and have excellent vision. The color balance of the RAZR MAXX display is way off.

A smartphone is still a bunch of tradeoffs. The human eye adjusts very well to terrible color balance and you get used to the color balance of whatever display you are using. The RAZR MAXX display is certainly usable, but there are so many better smartphone displays out there.

I too am torn with this phone since LTE, battery life, and raw CPU speed are excellent in this phone. I refuse to get an obviously superior on paper Galaxy Nexus, with all of the signal strength and call quality issues that people are complaining about. So I think I'll wait another 3 months for the next set of phones to try and find the holy grail of long battery life and decent display.

BTW. All the OG Droid RAZR owners complaining about battery life....seriously zip it. You were warned before you bought it.

SuperJETT

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
It's a phone, not a calibrated monitor where you're working with photo editing an need perfect balance.

Keep on searching for that holy grail phone, it's just around the corner...just like it's always been.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new phone and have been considering heavily the RAZR MAXX. I currently have a Droid X. I went and looked at the phone. The display is easily the worst display as far as clarity and color of any current high end smartphone. Text is particularly terrible.

28 posts of highly favorable comments and 1 naysayer. You, sir, are statistically insignificant.

dahacker

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
It's a phone, not a calibrated monitor where you're working with photo editing an need perfect balance.

Keep on searching for that holy grail phone, it's just around the corner...just like it's always been.

I agree. A phone is a bunch of tradeoffs. No a phone doesn't need perfect color balance, but to say the display is excellent is IN MY OPINION, far from the truth.

Everyone should certainly decide for themselves if clear text, decent brightness, and accurate colors are important to them or not.

dahacker

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
28 posts of highly favorable comments and 1 naysayer. You, sir, are statistically insignificant.

To be fair, if you went to an iPhone forum, then everyone there would say a mini 3.5" display was the best size. Most people here are self selected RAZR MAXX lovers. People should decide for themselves by looking at the phone in person, and not following any given cult.

I would argue that nearly half of professional reviews that I have found of this phone point out how bad the display is on the Droid RAZR MAXX when compared to other high end smartphones. I didn't believe them either until I actually saw the phone.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Screen is beautiful at maxx brightness... Which you could afford to keep this phone at as a result of the huge battery life this phone gets. Its when you turn the brightness down very low that a green overtone takes over the screen. Maybe an issue for first gen razr users that were reducing brightness to conserve battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12