Getting Maxx - How to migrate apps/files/contacts from Droid 3?

ecfinn

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So my new Maxx is on the way and should be here tomorrow. In preparation I'm trying to figure out how to migrate my apps/ saved app files/ photos/contacts etc to the new phone from my Droid 3. The D3 was my first droid so I'm still struggling a bit to understand it all so go easy on me. :)

Here's what I think I'm going to do. (and don't tell me to root and run Titanium backup as that's not an option due to corporate policies.)

1. Contacts - I'm going to rely on backup assistant to handle these as it seems to be running normally on a daily basiis.
2. Apps I've bought/dl'd from the market will be tied to my gmail account and will allow me to re-install them on a new phone.
3. Saved data for apps. I think if I move the apps to the SD card using manage apps/media area I should be able to bring them with me to the new phone and then move them to phone memory by doing the reverse on the new phone, correct?
4. Side loaded apps. I downloaded a few apk files and installed apps and then paid for them via the developer's website. I know I can just re-install the apk file again and re-enter license info, but how do I get app data for these apps to new phone?
5. Photos/videos/files? How do I move these to the new phone? Do I need to go into a corporate store to get it done quickly?

Am I missing anything else I'll need to transfer over?

Thanks,

Eric

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Getting Maxx - How to migrate apps/files/contacts from Droid

You could always just take everything you want, put it on a computer/laptop, then move them over to the new phone when you get it? Might be one of the easier methods.

As for 'backup assistant' if you use Gmail, it stores your contacts as well, so you don't have to use the Verizon back-up assistant (which doesn't organize your contacts the same way as Android/Google/Gmail would).

GRB11

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

I did everything, but what helped was having a gmail account where I store all my contacts. As MA2GA28 states, you don't need backup assistant if you have gmail. All my logins and any paid apps recognized my account immediately on the new phone, and there was no need for a product key. It's pretty smooth. If you attempt VZW's backup assistant on top of google, it may get confusing. Under Privacy Settings on your Droid 3, make sure you select Back up my data and Automatic restore. This helps you get what you want over to the new phone.

1) If you have a google account, make sure you're storing contacts on that. If you don't have a gmail or google account, you can always register one while you have your Droid 3.

2) Make a list of the apps you want on the new phone from what you're using on the Droid 3, and simply go to the Marketplace when you've powered up the new phone and download. Any paid or secure apps will recognize your google account and act as if you're on the same phone. It's very easy.

3) As for data, grab what you want and store it in a folder on your PC. Then transfer it to the new phone. I created a music folder on the SD card of the new phone, and all was good.

Be careful going to the VZW store, as some of the agents there are not as aware as others. With some initial planning, it should be an easy process.

Reactions: ecfinn

ecfinn

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Just thought I'd provide some closure on this topic for those who might like to know.

I ended up rooting both phones as there really isn't any other easy way to get all of your data from an old phone to a new phone. Frankly this aspect of Android is quite a PITA and along with how it handles calendar invites, quite inferior to both IOS and BB. I was fortunate in that rooting was pretty easy on both phones but if you have a challenging model you might be SOL.

I had to use MyBackupPro to make backups from Droid 3 and re-install on Razr Maxx (RM). I tried Titanium backup but after perfroming a back on D3 and moving SD card to RM Titanium couldn't find anything to restore from on the card.

I tried to use the free version of MyBackup but you need to have the pro version to re-install apps to a new phone so I shelled out the $4.99 and it worked well, with a few glitches.

My contacts came over fine using both backup assistant and gmail contacts.

All of my apps, either market or side-loaded variety came over fine with save data using MyBackupPro.

I also used it for the photos/videos/texts/call logs/etc. and it seems to have worked like a charm.

It too a while b/c I kept trying to use Titanium but once I gave up on that program and started using MyBackupPro it all worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome