Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Deluxe Member

Default Naked or Encased?

Might go get my MAXX this weekend (or, at least, put the order in at the store). So, in preparation, going to start up 'one of these threads' for the MAXX.

Is your phone naked, or do you have a screen protector and/or case? And if you do have a screen protector or case, which one(s)?

I am usually a case-FTW type of guy, but I'd think a case would defeat the purpose of the MAXX (even though I'm well aware the screen would probably not survive a waist-high fall, based on drop tests on YourTube). The other thing I've noticed is that MAXX cases are rare (seems like the OG Razr got all the case love), so seeing what others are using would be helpful.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a screen protector (Gorilla Glass is good, but it's not perfect) regardless.

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.

Default Re: Naked or Encased?

I only use a case when the phone is in my pocket. I use a Sena Ultra Slim case that forms to the phone. However, that's a pouch and I only use it to protect my screen and such. Otherwise, it's naked and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

There is absolutely no need for a screen protector on this phone - if you put one on it you will find yourself cleaning it constantly as the protectors hold the smoodge much more than the glass. One swipe on your shirt or pants and the Gorilla Glass looks like you just took it out of the box. I have had several GG phones, never used a screen protector and never had a single scratch.

i just got a tpu case off of ebay with the argyle back. it fits excellent.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I go back and forth about the screen protector. I agree that scratching risk is pretty low and it looks sleeker with the glossy finish screen, but i like the added resistance or friction the Zagg invisosheilds offer. It has a slightly rubbery feel which i like better than the glass feel.
    I always go with a case to protect corners if dropped. For those I like the the otterbox commuter series.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ROM

I'm getting the Otter box because while it may be stronger than other phones it can still be cracked or broken. I use to wear kevlar for work and while it may stop items from puncturing the material it doesn't stop the impact. The rubber and plastic case of the otter help absorb shock. I also like the non slip feel of the otter in my hand.

Silicone case, but no screen protection... I've used smartphones for years and everytime I'm done with one it looks brand new, so I finally stopped using the screen protectors.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

I'm going to get the high gloss silicone case from VZW but I'm not sure about a screen protector. Maybe the VZW screen protectors. I have one on my Thunderbolt and it was such a pain putting it on but it works good.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
    There is absolutely no need for a screen protector on this phone - if you put one on it you will find yourself cleaning it constantly as the protectors hold the smoodge much more than the glass. One swipe on your shirt or pants and the Gorilla Glass looks like you just took it out of the box. I have had several GG phones, never used a screen protector and never had a single scratch.
    I agree with the cleaning, definitely. I had a SP on my DInc basically the entire time I had it, and I had to clean it at least daily, as the prints and smudges would get unbearable. Then, a month ago, in the course of putting my case back on after cleaning, one of the protector corners bent up. I decided to just take it off, and the glass screen requires far less cleaning (mainly because prints are just less noticeable). However, since doing so, I did get a small scratch on the screen within a week. It doesn't have GG though, so not applicable here.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say a SP is completely unnecessary on GG. There are numerous videos on YouTube of GG being scratched (sandpaper seems to do the trick every time...not good if you spend time at the beach). Its just an extra layer of protection, IMO, and as I said I will probably go with a screen protector regardless.

In regards to cases, I'm not sure. I've only dropped my DInc maybe 3 times, as I am usually very careful with my phones. But, I also know that it only takes one drop to bust the screen. I will probably buy one, but not sure if it will be an all-the-time deal.

But keep it coming here. Still want to know what many of you do.

Quote Originally Posted by MA2GA28 View Post
    I agree with the cleaning, definitely. I had a SP on my DInc basically the entire time I had it, and I had to clean it at least daily, as the prints and smudges would get unbearable. Then, a month ago, in the course of putting my case back on after cleaning, one of the protector corners bent up. I decided to just take it off, and the glass screen requires far less cleaning (mainly because prints are just less noticeable). However, since doing so, I did get a small scratch on the screen within a week. It doesn't have GG though, so not applicable here.
    The DInc does in fact have Gorilla Glass.

i have the verizon antiglare SP on there. unfortunately the guy at the store ordered me the wrong one. i want the clear. it looks almost pixelated sometimes.

I don't put anything on my phone. Never have, never will.

In the summer if u plan on spending a lot of time at the beach. Definitely a screen protector.....
    Sand does scratch....
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

I don't have a Razr (Droid 3) but I've never entertained the idea of a case on any of my phones. These things are big enough and I've yet to see any case that doesn't just look filthy with accumulated junk/lint/crumbs all around the perimeter in no time.

I don't go out of my way to baby my phone (and I have two kids under age 5) with the only thing being that the phone is the only thing that gets placed in my right pants pocket. So far all my phones have lasted far longer than I've wanted to keep them and these GG based screens are better than ever.

-Suntan

naked is so sexy
    droidntn likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by socarwolverine View Post
    The DInc does in fact have Gorilla Glass.
    Just checked the Corning site, and it is listed there, much to my surprise. I kept tabs on the debate back when I got my DInc, and it was a matter of some HTC sources saying yes, and some saying no. Then, the debate died out. I guess Corning added it to their listing after the fact.

If that's the case though, my DInc is proof that GG isn't scratch-proof, just scratch resistant.

Just checked the Corning site, and it is listed there, much to my surprise. I kept tabs on the debate back when I got my DInc, and it was a matter of some HTC sources saying yes, and some saying no. Then, the debate died out. I guess Corning added it to their listing after the fact.

If that's the case though, my DInc is proof that GG isn't scratch-proof, just scratch resistant.
    Gorilla Glass never claimed to be scratch proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk.

Might go get my MAXX ... is your phone naked, or....
    I'm pretty sure I'll get a screen protector (Gorilla Glass is good, but it's not perfect) regardless.
    What I dont like about protectors are they matte the image... You lose that high gloss screen, and I like that part.

Do they make glossy protectors?

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

I got a tpu case off of Amazon for about $9, don't care for the added thickness but then accidentally dropped it 3 and a half feet to a hard tiled floor. No damage even though it landed on its corner, think I made the right call. The raised lip of the case does give the screen a little protection which is good as I do not care for screen protectors.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    I'm getting the Otter box because while it may be stronger than other phones it can still be cracked or broken. I use to wear kevlar for work and while it may stop items from puncturing the material it doesn't stop the impact. The rubber and plastic case of the otter help absorb shock. I also like the non slip feel of the otter in my hand.
    I just got Otterbox commuter case today, Its very nice and makes the buttons very easy to push. Im also using a Stienheil screen protector.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidXTC View Post
    I just got Otterbox commuter case today, Its very nice and makes the buttons very easy to push. Im also using a Stienheil screen protector.

That is my favorite protective combo on many of my prior phones. Both are outstanding products and the Commuter works especially well on the Maxx.

posted using Tapatalk

I've had two Gorilla Glass phones, Galaxy S & Galaxy SII, both of them got scratches on the screen. I'm very gentle with my phones too, it's probably because of the nature of my work to be honest. My point is, Gorilla Glass can get scratched, quite easily.

Doesn't the Maxx have Gorilla Glass 2 or something like that? I thought I read that somewhere, I dunno, I could be making that up.

I won't be getting my Maxx for a little over a week, but I will be rocking a screen protector day 1. My favorite screen protectors, oddly enough, are the cheap ones you find on Amazon & Ebay. They only cost like $1 each and they work and look great. They do scratch fairly easily, but they're cheap enough to where you can replace them once a month. I tried a ZAGG on my Galaxy S and hated it. I couldn't stand the rubbery feel, and worst of all, when you looked at it from an angle, it had a TERRIBLE orange peel like texture to it. So gross.

ROM
    Stock EVO, CM7 on the X

I have a Thunderbolt, so not really applicable, but in the case of Naked or encased, I rock my phone naked! I also have the extended battery (only way to go with the bolt) so it is a fat one. No more thickness is necessary. Also, I have best buy's warrantee, so anything I do to it, they will replace it. If i get a scratch or dinged up corners, I just take it in and replace it. This one in my pocket right now is number 4-5 since the Bolt came out. (I am kinda accident prone and work on a ship....)

I had a case that I got from Verizon on it for about 2 days before I had to take it off. The problem with cases on the Razr Maxx is that Motorola makes a bunch of accessories and they don't work with a case on the phone. It's impossible to use the car dock with a case on the phone. It will not fut, so I had to go without. I do like the look of the naked phone, but I also miss the security of knowing the phone was protected if dropped.

I like to have a case on. For the times I do drop my phone, that extra rubber helps. Not much but still helps.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast