Really want a Maxx but....

tybo85

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
New to the forums, currently a Tbolt owner, it's the first android phone I' ve owned. I love it very much but I'm due for an upgrade and the Maxx seems very appealing to me. I'm very nervous about buying a Motorola after the horrible experience I had with the Krazr several years ago. The battery and phone build were junk and it turned me off for a long time. I feel like giving the Maxx a try but I'm scared I'll be stuck with another phone that I'll hate for two years. Is the Maxx worth jumping on or should i wait for something else?

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
The RAZR/MAXX is a terrific phone, but if you are completely happy with your T-Bolt, I would wait a few months and see what gets released; sink that upgrade into what may be some great devices being released in the not too distant future. Now if nothing really worthy of excitement gets released, I can recommend the MAXX (obviously the battery being the biggest draw).

hs5964

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery and build quality are your concerns? The Maxx has the best battery in the business, so that's a win. And most all of the reviews I've seen or read make note of the exceptional build quality. Win-win?

tybo85

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Really my concerns are battery and moto blur, I leave my phone on 24/7 and my KRAZR did awful with that and only having used sense im not sure if I'll like or dislike blur. I haven't advanced into rooting, roms or anything like that so I'll pretty much use it as it comes....

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The MAXX has exceptional battery life and build quality. I had a Thunderbolt and felt that the build quality was mediocre and the battery life was the worst I've ever dealt with. I upgraded from the Thunderbolt to the RAZR and loved every minute of it. No issues, however, I no longer have it because I felt the extended "MAXX" battery was necessary. The MAXX is everything a 4G phone should be -- excellent signal, call quality, responsiveness, build quality, battery life, etc. The phone is so thin that it's not even worth choosing another phone with the bulky extended batteries unless you MUST have a removable. However, considering the Thunderbolt with a 2750 mAh extended battery is like 3 (maybe over reaction) RAZR MAXX's in thickness, it's amazing to see we have a 3300 mAh in the MAXX.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd say go ahead an upgrade. The TBolt is a good phone, but battery life must be hell, especially now that its over a year old.

As Minacious said, you could wait (hell, even I'm waiting for MWC to be within my return period, just so I can see what's in the pipeline before I really decide), but that could be an endless cycle of waiting for the 'next best thing.' No phone is perfect, so you could be waiting to upgrade for a LONG time.

Yes, quad core is just around the corner (possibly by the end of March if you believe what some insiders are saying), and if you'd think that would be beneficial to you, then wait a bit. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

And as others have said, battery is the best you'll get on Android. And I wouldn't worry about Blur (I'm coming from Sense myself) as its more streamlined than its clunky predecessor. Runs great on Android, and, IMO from the little time I've had in-store with it, it seems to be a bit more intuitive as well.

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Razr is the best phone out there, get it! Long time Android user (since the OG Droid) and I would say after the Samsung Fascinate, Droid X and X2, this is a GREAT phone!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
There are other great homescreen options on the market. You don't have to use blur if you don't like it.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There is always going to be a bigger/better/cooler phone just about to come out in a few months. If you're unhappy with your phone and are ready to upgrade, I say go ahead.
I have had several different phones from different manufacturers and have been quite happy with my Razr Maxx. I haven't ever rooted and usually go with the more customizable third party launchers, SMS, and various other apps, so not really hung up on Blur vs Sense vs whatever.
The Maxx feels very sturdy, the screen looks great (no, haven't taken a magnifying glass to it to compare, but it looks great to me), lots of space, feels very snappy, and great battery.

I usually have buyers remorse shortly after I get a new phone (about every 3 or 4 months...its an obsession, don't judge), but so far I have been very happy with it.
T

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You never know what tomorrow will bring. I think the maxx would be a phone you would be very happy with for a long time. The smartphone market is red hot, so there is always something just around the corner. If you wait you don't get to enjoy the now! Understandable if its only for a week or so, but waiting months is crazy. I'm not sure what technology is coming, but how much more do we need out of these devices? They are really fast with fantastic displays! Maxx has an incredible battery and slim design on top of that, you really can't go wrong. My 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the thunderbolt then the GNex and now the maxx. Love the maxx. I miss my TB more then the GNex. Build quality is great and the battery lasts me about 30hrs straight with med to heavy use. Screen on time is usually like 5-6 hours

Tapatalk via Razr Maxx or GNex

Minacious

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Certainly don't fall into the endless loop of waiting for the next best thing, but if you're happy with your current device, have an upgrade pending, and the MWC is right around the corner, why not wait a bit to see what may be released?

Now if the MWC comes and goes and nothing tickles your fancy, the MAXX is a great device to move to.

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The only thing Moble World Congress will bring is a Moto phone with Ice Cream Sandwich, blur, and a locked boot loader.

Then you have to wait for the root exploit to be found.

They will wait until after the world ends on the myan calendar ends before Moto takes its evil hands off our boot loaders!

Certainly don't fall into the endless loop of waiting for the next best thing, but if you're happy with your current device, have an upgrade pending, and the MWC is right around the corner, why not wait a bit to see what may be released?

Now if the MWC comes and goes and nothing tickles your fancy, the MAXX is a great device to move to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

selders59

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Long time Android user. Coming from the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D, this Razr Maxx is great. Love the battery life, no more carrying chargers and extra battery with me. Plus the Verizon LTE network leaves Sprint network in the dust.

"All Throttle-No Bottle"

tybo85

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm convinced thanks everyone for your opinions. I have another question, cases seem to be very limited for the Maxx, does anyone know if the cruzerlite androidified tpu skin for the RAZR will fit it?