Help a Blackberry Refugee Sleep at Night and Stuff

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I switched to a RAZR MAXX from a BB Bold 9650 last week, and so far I'm really appreciating the versatility and app selection of the Android platform. But there are a couple of things that the Bold did that really made my life better and I miss them. I'm sure there's a way to provide similar functionality on the MAXX, but I'm not quite finding it. So here goes:

1. Profiles

This feature consolidated all of the notification options under a single, consistent structure. You could create a profile that controlled how the BB provided message notification when in the holster or plugged into the charger, including setting the screen really dim, switching to the Clock display, and turning off the LED (that's the "sleep at night" thing from the subject). When inserted into the holster, the "sleep magnet" actuated other features of the profile such as enabling vibrate along with ringtone alert.

2. Screen On when removed from Holster

Another cool feature of the BB . . . removal of the device from the holster would light the screen for a few seconds, making it very easy to check the time, or see if there were any email/text/fb etc. notifications. This is controlled by the aforementioned sleep magnet; it knows whether it's in the holster or not and can perform an action when removed.

3. Owner Screen

When the BB is locked, it displays whatever owner information you've supplied in the Owner Information configuration option . . . especially useful for ICE info.

What I've Found So Far

#1 above seems to be at least partially addressed by Smart Actions. What I can't get it to do through SA rules is to turn off the freakin' LED and set the brightness to a low-enough level. I do know I can load an app as part of an action, so I'm hoping that solves the alarm clock display part of my desires.

I really like a dark room at night, and the BB's lowest brightness level is perfect, along with it's automatic disabling of the LED.

#2 seems as though it has half of the solution figured out. Although the MAXX doesn't appear to have a "sleep magnet" sensor, it does support something called Pocket Sensing. I'm not sure what it actually senses (light level?), but it seems as if it can tell when it's in a pocket, it should be able to tell when it's removed from a pocket (or holster).

#3 just seems like a stupid omission, or possibly a basic inability on my part to find this feature. EDIT: Looks like this can be solved with an app, but I'm surprised it's not part of the core system.

So . . . is there hope? I'm truly loving the MAXX, but it's just not quite perfect for me, at least yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: djnikadeemas

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually just switched from a 9650 to this phone as well. i was trying to find an answer to #1. while i'm not concerned with the screen brightness ( i just flip the phone over, so no light at all), i don't want notifications dinging all night. what i have found is an app called Hush. it lets you set volume for ringer, notifications, etc. basically i mute everything but the ringer for the night.

i think smart actions does this same thing, however, it doesn't mute the notifications. have you found that it does?

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
A former BB user myself, I've been using an app called Quick Profiles to handle problem #1. As far as I know though, it is only for sound....not for lighting of the screen or LED.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've completely resolved #3 with Widget Locker. It's a screen lock replacement that includes an Owner Info option, along with a LOT of additional capabilities (like the ability to install widgets on the lock screen . . . how cool is that?).

I'm still looking into options for the other two. I may have found a partial solution for the LED issue; LightFlow provides for enabling/disabling the LED on a schedule, along with offering different LED colors for different notifications (email vs. SMS vs. missed calls etc.).

Thanks all for your suggestions!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Former 9650 user here and what I do and works well for me is to set a smart action to turn off data when plugged into the wall charger(not usb)only. I charge all nite long so this works for me. This way no led flashing, no email alerts and phone calls can still come thru. I found on the market a free app called "nite clock" that allows the time to be displayed either portrait or flip for horizontal. I like this much better than BB's desktop mode as it can be fully adjusted for brightness. I have it very dim as I also prefer a dark room. I always thought BB desktop mode was a bit to bright for me anyway.
Don't use a holster so dunno about that.

MeridianSun

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I came from blackberry last year and had similar problems. You can customize notifications in each app instead of a central location like profiles, in some ways that provides more customization.

I also use widget locker and love it.

You should check out gentle alarm for night time.

Welcome to the world of Android.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, MeridianSun. Gentle Alarm is fantastic, and improves upon a feature offered by the Blackberry that was missing from Android.

The only remaining feature I'd love to see is a "turn on screen on unholster" option. It goes dark just fine when I put it in the holster, but it doesn't light up when I remove it. Oh well, if that's the worst thing I have to put up with, I can't say I'm suffering much. In every other respect, this device is a dramatic improvement over the BB and I'm loving it.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You have to remember that everything on Android is an app. All of the stock functions (email, calendar...) are just apps, and you can use just about any other app that suits your needs. Even the interface is just an app (launcher). Some of the stock apps might do you just fine. There may be ones that work better for you instead. The nice thing with Android is that you can customize it to your liking. It's also somewhat of a slight downfall, since you really need to adjust and try things to get it to be best for you. BlackBerry devices come pretty much with one way of doing things, so it can seem simpler, especially if you use that as your meter.

1) I use QuickProfiles. With it, you can adjust screen brightness, volume, even turn off/on wifi and bluetooth. I have a profile for night (turns off most sounds, lowers brightness), daytime (adjusts volumes and brightness), driving (sets brightness to auto, turns off wifi, turns on bluetooth), and home (sets lower brightness level, adjusts volumes, turns off bluetooth, and turns on wifi). It is very versatile.

2) There is a proximity sensor on the front, so there could be an app that detects when things are close to the screen, like when it turns the screen off while in a phone call. I would think this would use more power, though. I did like the auto-holster stuff when I was using my Tour, but I don't miss it as much these days.

3) The lock screen is an app, and can be switched out with another (as you figured out).

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Bedside is a great app for nightime. Turns off led and sound while still allowing calls to come through. Also allows dimming of the screen within the application, and changing of the clock colors.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been following this thread with great interest as I am also new to Android and just migrated from a BB Storm last week.

The first thing I noticed was the Maxx doesn't go automatically to bedside mode when connected to a charging source.....really miss that feature.

I have looked at several of the apps mentioned here but don't understand if any of these auto start when the charger is plugged in. I don't need fancy just auto switching showing the time at a dim setting.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this thread with great interest as I am also new to Android and just migrated from a BB Storm last week.

The first thing I noticed was the Maxx doesn't go automatically to bedside mode when connected to a charging source.....really miss that feature.

I have looked at several of the apps mentioned here but don't understand if any of these auto start when the charger is plugged in. I don't need fancy just auto switching showing the time at a dim setting.

"Gentle Alarm" can be configured to automatically switch to the "Night Display" mode when you plug your Maxx into the charger. Night Display can be configured to be very, very dim.

Gentle Alarm will also put it in "Flight Mode" which turns off all the radios, and also has a "Mute Notifications" option that purportedly quiets email and other notifications but still allows the phone to ring. It's under $3 at both Amazon and Android Market.

On a related note: One thing I don't like about Gentle Alarm is the non-configurable wake-up screen (too bright, red and white!) and the redundant confirmation dialog that follows the chosen "off!" or "snooze" action. The developer is listening, though, so there may be a change to this in the future.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Bedside also has the ability to automatically launch when plugged in.

Dodge DeBoulet (love the name)...so Gentle Alarm...does it gradually get brighter as you are waking up? That's something I'd love to see in an app...the screen being able to go from extremely dimmed while I'm asleep, to gradually getting brighter as my alarm time gets closer, and then being at full brightness when the alarm starts sounding.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
"Gentle Alarm" can be configured to automatically switch to the "Night Display" mode when you plug your Maxx into the charger. Night Display can be configured to be very, very dim.

Gentle Alarm will also put it in "Flight Mode" which turns off all the radios, and also has a "Mute Notifications" option that purportedly quiets email and other notifications but still allows the phone to ring. It's under $3 at both Amazon and Android Market.

On a related note: One thing I don't like about Gentle Alarm is the non-configurable wake-up screen (too bright, red and white!) and the redundant confirmation dialog that follows the chosen "off!" or "snooze" action. The developer is listening, though, so there may be a change to this in the future.

Well, I downloaded Gentle Alarm and it does seem nice but can not figure out how to configure for autmatic launch when plugged in. Some help would be appreciated.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
From the main screen, press the menu button, choose "Other Preferences," and look under the "Docking / Charger" options. You can configure it to launch when it's on the charger only between 8pm and 6am, for example, or whenever its on the charger regardless of time.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
From the main screen, press the menu button, choose "Other Preferences," and look under the "Docking / Charger" options. You can configure it to launch when it's on the charger only between 8pm and 6am, for example, or whenever its on the charger regardless of time.

That did it, works great. I haven't messed about with the alarms and profiles but being retired I only set an alarm about 3X a year.

TundraDome

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

The first thing I noticed was the Maxx doesn't go automatically to bedside mode when connected to a charging source.....really miss that feature. . . .

Hi bluwtr49, and to all,

I just ordered the Motorola Razr Maxx today, and I too, am switching from the Storm 2 (had the original Storm before that), so I'm jumping platforms - a hard thing for me to do - through a wormhole and into the future with the RAZR Max; but I don't have to tell you why - You are all already here.

Just chiming in and thanking you all for this (and other) thread(s) - as I learn how to obtain some of the BB functions through apps.

loooney2ns

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Leaving BB was the best choice I ever made. I started with the original Droid, then the Droid X, and now the Razr. The only feature I miss is the magnet. Unfortunately, I don't think any other manufacturer can use it.

erekshun

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Android is great for games and apps but it lacks the ability to customize it like you can with a blackberry. I have a droid charge. I am just waiting for the large screen blackberry to come out so that I can edit my profiles, set notification lights to different actions and to be able to change the font size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech