Wierd problem with Smart Actions

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I set up my Smart Actions for a sleep mode as follows.

Triggers:
-Time 0000-0530
- On charger

Actions:
-Ringer Vol silent
-VIP caller mode
-Background sync off

My goal is for my phone to be silent for everything but the numbers in my VIP list. No email, no text, and no facebook or any other notifications.

Everything seemed good until about 4am when I got a weather warning (Weather Bug Elite) for a wind advisory. When I looked at the phone I could see the alert pop up in the notifications bar with an alert tone, followed by the smart action silencing the phone, and then the alert, and then the smart action....

It got stuck cycling from smart action to the alert in a 2-3 second rotation. It was like they were both fiting for control.

Is there a selection that will prevent that fight from occuring again?

taskellusaf

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I would advise you to control all that through weather bug.... who cares about the wind.... I only turn on notifications if I know there's gonna be tornadoes.... anyways turn off all sounds, excetera through weatherbug elite.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
this is the one reason i am not using smart actions for night time. smart actions needs to have a "notifications" enable or disable action for this reason.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'd make a change to WeatherBug.... and also, one BIG note to OP (Original Poster): Turning off Background Sync will not stop SMS messages., it will Silence it, but the notification light will still brink... the SMS come over phone, not data.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd make a change to WeatherBug.... and also, one BIG note to OP (Original Poster): Turning off Background Sync will not stop SMS messages., it will Silence it, but the notification light will still brink... the SMS come over phone, not data.

simple fix for the led is just flip the phone over, face down, and you won't see any light at all.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
so is there no way to silence everything but the ringer?

Coming from a Blackberry, I was a tiny bit dismayed to find that it's anarchy when it comes to alerts/notifications in Android-land. There's no centralized facility for managing them, so each application handles its own alerting. This means there's no way to wedge some code into an "Alert Manager" that filters and/or reroutes alerts. So if your app doesn't support alerting the way you want it, you're probably out of luck.

As stupid as I think that situation is, though, I would never go back to a Blackberry.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm using Bedside for night and it seems to have the effect of silencing all alerts and LED blinking while allowing calls to come through. I also had a Weather Bug alert when I woke up this morning however it was waiting for me rather than having woken me up.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
so is it the case that there is no way to use smart actions to have no volume on notifications except keep VIP phone numbers able to ring?

ronniesherard

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the general idea behind Smart Actions, but it feels incomplete to me. I have the same type of issues. So, I went back to Profile. Doesn't change settings automatically, but it's very easy to customize and it takes little effort to switch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing that if you have more than 3 actions it doesn't always apply them all. I had it set to trigger on time, motion, and charge to deactivate sync, ringer, apply vip list, and time out display at 1 min.
It never timed out display (maybe because settings are to leave on while charging) and it continued to sync because I got woken up by email.
I removed the motion trigger and the screen time out and now it works.
I would think if you tell it to time out display in smart actions it would overide the phone settings. It does that when you tell it to not ring.