Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Razor Maxx Free WiFi??

Quote Originally Posted by thabears23 View Post
    So just to Make sure even though I have unlimited data plan I'm still paying?
    You're still paying for the unlimited plan. You're not paying Verizon's $15-$30 surcharge for tethering or wireless hotspot.

Yea thought so still using data but not paying Verizon extra for wat I'm using. Thanks bud

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Why not just take the time to root the phone, and then download Wifi Teather? No wires, and its free Wireless tethering. I have been using it since Day 1 of having my Maxx....

Don't wanna void the warranty plus I did it back on the og. Droid and tried it on my DROID charge and got to confused basically didn't want to break my phone

What is foxfi, can someone tell me where to find it, please?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

FoxFi is an app in the market place. My brother had a hard time finding it as well.

FoxFi App

I've also tried to attach the PDAnet 3.25 apk to this post...hope it works. Install both of these on your phone, then run wifi hotspot on FoxFi and you'll be set.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

A word of warning, when you're using this you're not paying Verizon their fee but you're still using your data. So if you're on a 2GB plan and you spend .5GB watching vids on your laptop, it's taking that out of your monthly allowance!

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Is there a root solution for the RAZR? If so the easiest way is to root and search for Wireless Tether it is a Google open source project and you will have to play around to find which one works for you. There are multiple release and release candidates so it takes some playing. I have found on most phones on Verizon that version 2.0.5 works.

This is all very interesting....so to summarize:

I have an unlimited data plan and a 5GB Wfi plan for $30.00.
    If I download the wifi app, I can teather wirelessly to my laptop using my unlimitled data package instead of the VZW $30.00 wifi plan.

However in addition to the wifi app I also need a pda app???

OK, this sounds pretty sweet but just how does it work? Does it just connect to the internet through a browser and than acts as a modem in some fashion??

It just seem to easy but somebody must get something out of this....or am I just to skepical.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post
    This is all very interesting....so to summarize:

I have an unlimited data plan and a 5GB Wfi plan for $30.00.
    If I download the wifi app, I can teather wirelessly to my laptop using my unlimitled data package instead of the VZW $30.00 wifi plan.

However in addition to the wifi app I also need a pda app???

OK, this sounds pretty sweet but just how does it work? Does it just connect to the internet through a browser and than acts as a modem in some fashion??

It just seem to easy but somebody must get something out of this....or am I just to skepical.
    Your phone basically becomes a wireless router. You use your laptop to find the network and join it and you'll just be using your "unlimited" data to surf through your laptop.

O.k., I'm not trying to sound beotchy but I'm feeling...well beotchy.

FoxFi is an application available in the market, and FREE.

You do NOT need PDA Net or anything else to get FoxFi to work. You MAY need to REBOOT your phone, however.

Open the FoxFi app, and check the box to start the wifi hotspot. This will result in a hotspot icon showing up in your notification bar. Do not interact with that icon at ALL. You are turning the hotspot on and off from the FoxFi application itself.

I'm not sure why some think PDA Net is needed.

Also, while I appreciate that everyone things rooting is fabulous, there are very valid reasons for why some of us will not root our phones for tether. So when someone is looking for a wifi tether option and especially when they ask for it for a NON rooted phone, please keep in mind that person may have very valid reasons for why they can't/won't root and they are asking for help on a NON rooted phone. Time and time again I see people post solutions for rooted phones when someone is asking for non-rooted help. And as an example of why someone might not root...those of us using Good to access Corporate email are booted off if our phones are detected to have root. It's important to me to get work email on my device so I can't root.
    Thanked by 2:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    O.k., I'm not trying to sound beotchy but I'm feeling...well beotchy.

FoxFi is an application available in the market, and FREE.

You do NOT need PDA Net or anything else to get FoxFi to work. You MAY need to REBOOT your phone, however.

Open the FoxFi app, and check the box to start the wifi hotspot. This will result in a hotspot icon showing up in your notification bar. Do not interact with that icon at ALL. You are turning the hotspot on and off from the FoxFi application itself.

I'm not sure why some think PDA Net is needed.

Also, while I appreciate that everyone things rooting is fabulous, there are very valid reasons for why some of us will not root our phones for tether. So when someone is looking for a wifi tether option and especially when they ask for it for a NON rooted phone, please keep in mind that person may have very valid reasons for why they can't/won't root and they are asking for help on a NON rooted phone. Time and time again I see people post solutions for rooted phones when someone is asking for non-rooted help. And as an example of why someone might not root...those of us using Good to access Corporate email are booted off if our phones are detected to have root. It's important to me to get work email on my device so I can't root.
    I tried your method and when I tried to go to a website got redirected to VZW. Added PDANet and I was not redirected. Simple enough solution IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Turtleman View Post
    I tried your method and when I tried to go to a website got redirected to VZW. Added PDANet and I was not redirected. Simple enough solution IMO.
    Did you include the reboot? Because I was unable to get mine to work until I rebooted. I do not have PDA Net on my Maxx and am able to use FoxFi stand alone. I'm not understanding how PDA Net would impact anything since it is intended for USB/Bluetooth connections and not wifi connections.

OK, based on the info here I just installed FoxFi, disconnected my labtop from the wifi network and turned on Foxfi without doning anything else.....fabulous as I am on the Raxr hotspot at this moment. Phone is connececte to 3g and the internet access is quite speedy. I did run a speed test and got 1.1mb/sec download an .47 upload. Not great but certainly good enough for most work.

As usual, you folks are a wealth on info.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Did you include the reboot? Because I was unable to get mine to work until I rebooted. I do not have PDA Net on my Maxx and am able to use FoxFi stand alone. I'm not understanding how PDA Net would impact anything since it is intended for USB/Bluetooth connections and not wifi connections.
    I did not reboot. I'll give that a shot when my Maxx arrives.

And PDANET is evolving to include wifi hotspot...

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Hi, I'm new here to the Android world. It's my second day having the Maxx. I just want to say that I got the free wifi to work with just FoxFi. I did a reboot after installing Foxfi, I did not download PDA Net. Getting 12mbps download and 10mpbs upload on speedtest.
    Jamfish likes this.

Great feedback and even better if PDA net can compete with FoxFi for those of us that can't root. I would gladly pay the developers of FoxFi once the app is a bit more stable. I've had some small issues but make no mistake it is a good app.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Great feedback and even better if PDA net can compete with FoxFi for those of us that can't root. I would gladly pay the developers of FoxFi once the app is a bit more stable. I've had some small issues but make no mistake it is a good app.
    FoxFi does not require root. Just install it and reboot your phone. That should work...if it doesn't fully read this thread.

I know nothing about rooting but when I installed the Foxfi app yesterday it ran immediatly without a reboot. Today I ran it for 4 hours and it dropped the battery from 100% to 80%. Not bad.

What sort of instablity should I be looking for???

Question though, can one also make and receive calls while it's doing the hot spot thing?? My BB sure wouldn't.

Yes it can u can receive and still make phone calls while on hotspot

Before you all diss PDANet bear in mind their tethering system masks the fact that your tethering to prevent the off chance that Verizon will flag you for tethering usage and redirect all your internet traffic from your connected devices to their web page to sign up for their $$ wi fi hotspot. The new version of PDANet 3.25 does work hand-in-hand with FoxFi to add some level of masking your tethering usage so as to make it appear all internet traffic is coming only from your phone.

If you have FoxFi working without PDANet, terrific. If you suddenly get flagged by Verizon and they redirect your internet traffic, then give PDANet a go with FoxFi.

I've rooted plenty of devices and have used the free WiFi tethering app for rooted phones. I've never been redirected. I've also used PDANet and FoxFi with non-rooted phones and have had no issues as well.

Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, where did the 3.25 version of PDA net come from? I checked both the Android Market and the dev website, and neither list it. No matter though, I just tried FoxFI with no issue. Installed, rebooted and it ran perfect, but I hesitate to use it unless I have PDA net hiding the tether.

How would VZW know if the data is being used by a computer and not the phone? Seems that it's all the same....isn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by hilhi2005 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did the 3.25 version of PDA net come from? I checked both the Android Market and the dev website, and neither list it. No matter though, I just tried FoxFI with no issue. Installed, rebooted and it ran perfect, but I hesitate to use it unless I have PDA net hiding the tether.
    Yeah, it's confusing. On your PC click on the download link and it should download the file pdaneta325.exe. Install it on your laptop and it will install version 3.25 on your phone as well. The market still shows only 3.02 available. They do a poor job of updating their site.

Tapped from my Droid Razr Maxx
    Last edited by MightyT; 02-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Phone: Rooted Droid Razr Maxx; Tablets: Nexus 7.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Rooted LG G Pad 8.3

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post
    How would VZW know if the data is being used by a computer and not the phone? Seems that it's all the same....isn't it??
    Carrier spyware installed on the phone. Remember CIQ?
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast