Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How request enhancements for Smart Actions (to Motorola)

Loving Smart Actions...and while it could have more functionality I can live with the limitations...except one thing...I really want to see them add the ability to control the MEDIA volume in addition to the ringtone volume (and if it's not there, notifications as well). Example, when connected to bluetooth in the car I would want my media volume control to be up higher. When disconnected I would want it lower. When at work I would want it off.

Anyway, I'd like to submit a request for it but not sure how to.

Well, the Smart Actions application shows up in the Market, so you could certainly post comments there, or use the contact information from the app to contact them directly.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How request enhancements for Smart Actions (to Motorola)

You can also try posting it here https://forums.motorola.com/pages/home
    -Corey

I'd like to be able to have it automatically turn on wifi when I get home. How could they miss that? lol
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".
    Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super Turtleman View Post
    I'd like to be able to have it automatically turn on wifi when I get home. How could they miss that? lol
    The problem with that is that they use wifi to determine a location (it tells you this when you set up a location-trigger). So, w/o wifi, it won't know you are at home. I don't see it being an issue for them to use GPS to find your location, but then you'd have to leave GPS on all the time (arguably a bigger battery waster than wifi).

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.

Yeah, you're right about that. Still, I wish there was a way. Lol. Oh well, at least I have a toggle widget on the home screen ready to go.
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl View Post
    You can also try posting it here https://forums.motorola.com/pages/home
    I can tell you that Motorola does troll their own forums, so posting there should get some action.
    Proud owner of: LG G2 & G3, + Nexus 7 & 10
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, SG3, M8

Try Verizon Wi-fi Auto On from the market. Works great for me! Then you can trigger other things from the presence of your wifi network.

Deluxe Member

Quote Originally Posted by ricebw View Post
    Try Verizon Wi-fi Auto On from the market. Works great for me! Then you can trigger other things from the presence of your wifi network.

That would work....but that app uses GPS to figure out if you're in range of a set wifi signal. It will just waste battery a lot more than just leaving wifi on the whole time (as GPS will constantly be pinging to see if you're near one of your locations). Plus, if you're not at a preset 'location' but close to it, its going to put wifi on and keep searching for your signal. So now, your GPS and wifi signal are BOTH on and constantly searching.

An alternative would be to just get to a location and turn your wifi on with the power save bar.

The lesson here is that if its a Verizon-branded app, its probably not that useful to anyone.

It doesn't use the GPS radio; it uses cell towers. I have GPS turned off.
    Deluxe Member

It doesn't use the GPS radio; it uses cell towers. I have GPS turned off.
    Are you sure you have ALL of your GPS selections unchecked? From what I know, your cell signal CAN'T give your location UNLESS you're making a phone call or sending texts. You receive a signal in order to get your strength bars, but you only send a signal when you are sending texts or making a phone call. Also, the app explicitly lists GPS in its permissions to determine location, NOT your signal. So, even if you have GPS off, the app may be turning it on in order to work.

If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.

Yes, I have my GPS on but I guess what I was thinking is that it was not using it because the GPS notification never comes on. I thought it was using the cell towers or some other means. If it is, your point is well taken that I might be using more power by "watching" for my GPS location all day.
    Deluxe Member

Yes, I have my GPS on but I guess what I was thinking is that it was not using it because the GPS notification never comes on. I thought it was using the cell towers or some other means. If it is, your point is well taken that I might be using more power by "watching" for my GPS location all day.
    I figured you had to have GPS on. Even with a cell signal, that 'location' would be based off triangulation, and that is not accurate enough to say you're at a specific address. You'd need GPS to get your exact location.

As I said, its using GPS, and constant GPS pinging will drain your battery as fast as anything else will. You're better off not using that app and just leaving wifi on.