Search Contacts Takes Forever And Email Issues
03-09-2012 05:37 PM
- Just received new Maxx four days ago and upgraded the software and then transferred all 1570 Contacts over from a BB Bold via Google Sync.
When searching any of the Contact Names, it takes at least 15-30 seconds for the Contact to show up. Is this normal? I tried Powering On and Off but makes no difference. Its the same whether i search form the Phone App or Contacts App
Also have set up all my IMAP Email Account from GoDaddy which is hit and miss. Sometimes delivers fine but today the Server cannot connect but works fine on all other devices.
Lastly the screen sometimes freezes for a few seconds.
I tried the Galaxy Nexus for a week and although the reception was terrible, everything else worked very fluidly with immediate response from all Apps.
Otherwise loving the phone!03-07-2012 12:27 AM
- UPDATE - After playing round with the Settings and Powering off and on a few times, the freezing of screen is ok but had to delete the EMail accounts and re-input all the info. Now just had delivery of all my Emails for the first time today.
Hope this won't be a regular occurrence.
Contact Search still takes forever compared to my old Bold that showed names as i typed in the letters instantly.
My Question is - do i need to replace the device or is this fairly normal behavior?03-07-2012 12:40 AM
- A long time to search doesn't sound quite right. Even with 1500+ contacts that you have.
For a comparison on search times, try some of the free search apps, such as Contact Lookup or even Gesture Search.
If these are quicker, then it might suggest that it's the built in application that is slow. If these apps are just as slow, then you might need to look at an alternative solution.03-07-2012 02:53 PM
- I also have about 1700 contacts and searches don't take more than a second or two at most. First I would turn off all data services and do a search and see if it takes as long at do a search as you described above. If that doesn't work I would hard reset your device and sync your contacts again and see if the problem is still there. As it sounds like something is bogging down your phone and I wonder if it's something you've loaded or just not installing correctly.03-07-2012 08:46 PM
- Thanks for the suggestions - I downloaded a couple of Contact Apps and a little better but still slow especially coming from a Bold and also an HTC that shows all names immediately as you type in the Letters.
If I do a Hard Re-set, what's the best way of importing all 1576 Contacts? i originally synced from my BB with Google Sync and then logged into my Google Account to import them all. Would it be better to copy all Contacts to SD or SIM Card?03-07-2012 11:31 PM
- First "IF" you hard reset make sure you have all your data backed up somewhere either local or on the cloud via google services.
Since all of your contacts are in your Google account they will be sync'ed back to your phone once you have hard reset your phone and are setting it back up. If you take this step make sure you don't load any apps on your phone before you test how fast you can search your contact. Also make sure your phone is finished sync'ing before you test how fast you can search. During the initial sync it will be slower than normal as it moves all your data back to your phone.
You understand the reason I suggested to turn off all data is to ensure you are not trying to search via the cloud or to say it another way that you are searching on your phone itself. If your phone displays a search of your contacts within 1 or 2 seconds then you might be searching via a networked data source which is the cause of your delayed results.
If you are unsure about any of these steps you might either ask more questions or visit a Verizon store and have them walk you through it. Either way I am happy to help any way I can.03-07-2012 11:43 PM
- Opening the App is not the Problem - its the time it takes to perform a search for an individual contact which takes about 20 seconds or more to find or just sits there with no results. Also have several occasions where the screen freezes just when I urgently need to check a voicemail or make a call.
Making me want to run back to my Blackberry! The Maxx is such a cool looking phone - hope I can make it work as well as my other devices. Will try the hard reset tonight after a back up.03-08-2012 06:35 PM
- MA2GA28Deluxe MemberOpening the App is not the Problem - its the time it takes to perform a search for an individual contact which takes about 20 seconds or more to find or just sits there with no results. Also have several occasions where the screen freezes just when I urgently need to check a voicemail or make a call.
Making me want to run back to my Blackberry! The Maxx is such a cool looking phone - hope I can make it work as well as my other devices. Will try the hard reset tonight after a back up.03-08-2012 07:59 PM
- OK - the Hard Re Set fixed my issues on the Maxx and now Searches on Contacts works normal with immediate results. Thanks for the help!
Took me about an hour to re set the whole damn phone again with K9 Email Accounts, settings etc and followed Coreymcl's advice which worked - much appreciated.
What do all you ex BB users do when on the run and wanting to call a contact quickly? Do you search Contacts, use Voice search or set up Speed Dial? I'm still adjusting to my old familiar one button press for numerous contacts on my old BB Keyboard.
Also what's the best Email App coming from a BB - stock App or K9 or other? thanks again!03-09-2012 05:37 PM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid Forums
- Droid RAZR MAXX
Search Contacts Takes Forever And Email Issues
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD