Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By socarwolverine
  • 1 Post By socarwolverine
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB data trasfer on RAZR

Hi Folks, been having a hard time connecting my Razr Maxx to my computers. When I would plug my HTC Incredible in I would see drive icons on the desk top for both built in and SD card memory locations. I can't figure out how to connect my Maxx. I frequently transfer mp4 movies from my computer to my phone. I tried the Motocast thang, but now it crashes on gallery EVERY time I try use that APP. Any suggestions on transferring data to and from the Maxx (or Razr).

One side note, I was able to put the SD card into a reader, but this seems somewhat archaic and I seem to lose my tone associations when I reinstall it.

Thanks for you assistance.

Default Re: USB data trasfer on RAZR

Are you using the cord that comes with the phone? The micro usb I was using with my other phones wouldn't do anything but charge the Maxx, it would never allow me to connect to a pc.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by socarwolverine View Post
    Are you using the cord that comes with the phone? The micro usb I was using with my other phones wouldn't do anything but charge the Maxx, it would never allow me to connect to a pc.
    I am not using the cord that comes with the phone. That really makes a difference huh?

Did for me, I was using an LG one that had come with my old EnV Touch. It worked with my Eris and Incredible but wouldn't work at all with the Maxx, no data transfer whatsoever, it would only charge it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Did for me, I was using an LG one that had come with my old EnV Touch. It worked with my Eris and Incredible but wouldn't work at all with the Maxx, no data transfer whatsoever, it would only charge it.
    That's good to know. When using the included cord, do you just plug it and then one of those drive icons appears on the computer. In other words, is there any procedure required besides just plugging it in?

Once I used the correct cord, it just popped up like an two external drives, one for internal storage and one for the sd card. I didnt have to go through anything extra.
    rkortes likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Once I used the correct cord, it just popped up like an two external drives, one for internal storage and one for the sd card. I didnt have to go through anything extra.
    PERFECT!! I'll give it a shot when I get home and report back. Thanks!!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by rkortes View Post
    PERFECT!! I'll give it a shot when I get home and report back. Thanks!!
    That worked.... Thanks! I'm not sure why other cables don't work..... but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rkortes View Post
    That worked.... Thanks! I'm not sure why other cables don't work..... but they don't.
    That's good to hear, you're welcome.
    rkortes likes this.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

My first Razr Maxx worked just fine with the included cable but my replacement only brings up the usb icon in the notification bar for a split second (not long enough to drop down the notification bar and choose any option) the first time plugging it in any of my 3 usb ports. After that 1st time plugging it in any of them, on my windows xp sp2 laptop it comes up with a message stating "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED" Then the explanation states "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctuned, and Windows does not recognized it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." It says this message after every time plugging it in each USB port after the very first time as I stated earlier. My Mac laptop that's running Lion isn't acknowledging it either after the first time like on the Windows computer. The only difference is I don't get any error message after plugging it in on the Mac after the first time. I can only think that it's this replacement phone that is the issue since my previous Maxx worked perfectly fine on both computers.

PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by natew View Post
    My first Razr Maxx worked just fine with the included cable but my replacement only brings up the usb icon in the notification bar for a split second (not long enough to drop down the notification bar and choose any option) the first time plugging it in any of my 3 usb ports. After that 1st time plugging it in any of them, on my windows xp sp2 laptop it comes up with a message stating "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED" Then the explanation states "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctuned, and Windows does not recognized it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." It says this message after every time plugging it in each USB port after the very first time as I stated earlier. My Mac laptop that's running Lion isn't acknowledging it either after the first time like on the Windows computer. The only difference is I don't get any error message after plugging it in on the Mac after the first time. I can only think that it's this replacement phone that is the issue since my previous Maxx worked perfectly fine on both computers.

PLEASE HELP!
    I'd say this is most likely the replacement device. Call VZW and get them to send you another. You should probably go ahead an try a hard reset and see if that helps. They're gonna make you do a hard reset before they even bother sending another device. I haven't heard of this issue before with the MAXX, but if it can be replicated on different computers with a cord that was working previously, then in all likelihood it's the phone.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I'd say this is most likely the replacement device. Call VZW and get them to send you another. You should probably go ahead an try a hard reset and see if that helps. They're gonna make you do a hard reset before they even bother sending another device. I haven't heard of this issue before with the MAXX, but if it can be replicated on different computers with a cord that was working previously, then in all likelihood it's the phone.
    Ok thanks that's what I was thinking also. And btw, the hard reset didn't work either.

It could also be the device drivers (phone drivers)...download the latest ones from Motorola's website and see if that helps.