Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Default Re: Razr Maxx - Battery Life

I get about 40 hours out of my Razr Maxx on a 3 to 5 hour charge. I have only charged it at home and not in the car. I really do not surf the web much or go on facebook with it. I have heard pros and cons for installing an apps killer, as well as problems with battery if you charge it over night or on a long car ride.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM

Fully charged yesterday at 3pm Central standard time. Unplugged it and usd phone like normal. Phone calls, texts, emails, facebook, games, took pictures, app store shopping, checking out app operations, checking stettings options and so forth. Used the smart app for the "sleep" option. I also used the bluetooth this morning to pair my phone to my car during my drive.

Just added a battery widget to get a more precise account of battery supply. Now 5pm Central time the next day I still show 15% battery life (estimate a little over an hour left os use). Checked my running apps and what I show running are:

Settings, Facebook, Words, scramble, Chat on, battery widget, My gallery, weather (?), Google Services, Maps, Backup assistant, Verizon location Agent, Sync Service IM and swype

Just noticed Google locations services is on and may have been on since 5pm yesterday when i was checking out the map. I have never opened weather, or IM at elast to my knowledge. But 26 hours this far is much more than my previous device.

GPS, and WiFi off all day, Bt minimal time, screen brightness maybe at 20%. Not sure what else I could do to see how much more battery I could actually get out of the phone. Overall I am pretty satisfied. Oh and when I got the phone I did the most recent update as well so can't compare to previous update version.

ROM
    ?

All of the phone manufacturers need to take notice what Motorola has done with the MAXX the battery life makes me smile

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastmr2 View Post
    All of the phone manufacturers need to take notice what Motorola has done with the MAXX the battery life makes me smile

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Agreed. If phone makers are now insisting on making the battery inaccessible and unreplaceable, then they'd better make sure the battery they put it is awesome.

Didn't use it much this week but used it when I needed to and this is what I got. Not too shabby:-)

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx
    Last edited by rbess1965; 05-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Hi All,

What about the fact that the battery is not replaceable... Is this going to be an issue ?

Thanks,

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

I look at it this way. A battery's life actually depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles. With my old Droid Incredible, I started noticing the battery discharging more quickly at around the 2 year mark, so let's say that battery would have become pretty bad at around the 3 year mark. Most smartphones need to be charged up at night with typical use, so the practical duration of each charge is maybe 12-18 hours.

Now, with my Maxx, I go 2-3 days between charges. Conservatively, that's around 3 times as long as your average smartphone's charge duration. So hypothetically, if the Maxx's battery has the same number of charge cycles in its lifespan as your average smartphone battery and you're going 3 times as long with each charge, then the battery should last 3 times as long, which means somewhere in the 6-9 year range. By that time, Skynet or the Borg will have taken over, and we'll have smartphones implanted in our brains, so you won't really need your Maxx any more.
    hazelgreen and Donna Rae like this.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

ive been told, and have read in a number of places that leaving you phone on the charger overnight is the worst thing you can do for it. im trying to break my wife of this now and have been just charging it sporadically throughout the day. i wonder what everyone's charging habits are and their run times...

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Maybe with older batteries it WAS bad... nothing wrong with charging these batteries as much as possible. I also charge mine every night, all night. Have done this with this type of battery for years with other smartphones without issues.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

"Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling."

"Limit the time the battery resides at 4.20/cell (full charge), especially if warm."

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries
    Last edited by bradenfontaine; 06-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

So I have had the Maxx for 2 weeks or so, came from a Fascinate and very much glad I did. Anyway the battery life was awesome initially but have noticed it seems to be getting worse..still better than the Fascinate. I am running Go EX Launcher, among other things. Been reading previous posts and pretty much having been following advice. One thing though. I plug it in at night when I go to bed and leave it plugged in all night. Should I not do that? Should I unplug once fully charged? Suggestions?

Lovin it though!
    BB S1>BB S2>Samsung Fascinate>Razr Maxx
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

personally, i say unplug at 100%, and if you cant do that at night, just plug it up once you get to work, on the way to work, at the gym...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Quote Originally Posted by briang00 View Post
    So I have had the Maxx for 2 weeks or so, came from a Fascinate and very much glad I did. Anyway the battery life was awesome initially but have noticed it seems to be getting worse..still better than the Fascinate. I am running Go EX Launcher, among other things. Been reading previous posts and pretty much having been following advice. One thing though. I plug it in at night when I go to bed and leave it plugged in all night. Should I not do that? Should I unplug once fully charged? Suggestions?

Lovin it though!
    I say leave it plugged in all night, every night. I've been doing this with these types of batteries for years in several different Andoid and Blackberries. I'm not new to smartphones... and it seems the people here at AC have enough confidence in me to make me an Advisor and post this sticky thread.

I've used Go EX Launcher in the past with other ROMs... it's nice, but I felt it was overkill with Motorola's skin, so I did not load it.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by briang00 View Post

Lovin it though!
    The charging system on any phone made in the past 5 years at least is smart enough to not overcharge the battery - they top it up and stop, just restarting when the battery drops off a bit. Just leave it plugged in.

The battery in the Maxx is great stuff. Plus you get the advantage of a somewhat beefier handset, which makes using the thing a lot more pleasant. I understand the stylistic statement being made by the super thin phones, but at some point the phone has to stop being a fashion accessory and actually function well from a usability standpoint. The Maxx does that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    The charging system on any phone made in the past 5 years at least is smart enough to not overcharge the battery - they top it up and stop, just restarting when the battery drops off a bit. Just leave it plugged in.

The battery in the Maxx is great stuff. Plus you get the advantage of a somewhat beefier handset, which makes using the thing a lot more pleasant. I understand the stylistic statement being made by the super thin phones, but at some point the phone has to stop being a fashion accessory and actually function well from a usability standpoint. The Maxx does that.

I have had the Maxx two months and the battery does not last as long as at the outset. In addition Verizon is throttling me to the point that it's anyone's guess when the data connection will come up, or seemingly not at all. I have use WiFi. This is a breach of my agreement because I have unlimited data, but how does one take on the 800 pound gorilla? I will start with the FTC and FCC..
    Any other suggestions. I have been with Verizon 10 years. In addition, the Maxx will not transmit imbedded pictures. They say it's the phone. That includes Moorland, Verizon and my ISP
    I do not have that problem on my Tablet or Laptop.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Anyone else notice Smart Actions eating up their battery? My wife has the same phone and I've noticed that her battery lasts a lot longer. The only difference app wise is that I use Smart Actions. Checked the battery use this morning and it was up over 60%.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by jdtruong View Post
    Anyone else notice Smart Actions eating up their battery? My wife has the same phone and I've noticed that her battery lasts a lot longer. The only difference app wise is that I use Smart Actions. Checked the battery use this morning and it was up over 60%.
    I use Smart Actions... one for at night when it's charging, I turn off sync'ing and put it on Silent... the other is for Work, I turn it to Vibrate only based on my location (Wifi location works, but I don't turn on the full GPS).

All that and when I just checked my battery I don't even see Smart Actions on the battery use list. I'm running version 2.1.2.0 of Smart Actions... what version are you using?
    Flames Wallpaper

I thought I read somewhere it's better to charge your battery in short bursts as opposed to keeping it plugged in all night. Don't know where I read it, or even why. I used to charge my X every night, and I'm trying not to do that with this.
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
    I thought I read somewhere it's better to charge your battery in short bursts as opposed to keeping it plugged in all night. Don't know where I read it, or even why. I used to charge my X every night, and I'm trying not to do that with this.
    I guess if that is what you want to believe... then do it.
    Flames Wallpaper

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I am on version 2.1.2.0 I am going to test today with all Smart Actions turned off.

does anyone know what RILD does, and can I kill it or constrain it somehow? it seems to be the major culprit in my battery usage.
    thanks.

I just picked up my Razr Maxx the other day and notice a few things that I did not expect.

In the past on my Droid X my main battery culprit has always been the display, but with the Maxx it seems the Android OS takes up anywhere from 40-50% of my battery. This is very shocking to me. Does anyone know why this is? I have the exact same apps and same home screen and sync setups on the Maxx as I did the DX.

Also, I expected a little more out of the battery. With very minimal use I am getting 24 hours out of it, however when I go to sleep and allow it to discharge, I have been losing about 15-20% overnight. This seems very high. I had Smart Actions set to disable sync from midnight-5am. I just turned off the Smart Actions to see if that makes a difference.

I also turned off LTE and went strictly 3G for a day and the battery still seemed to discharge at the same rate as LTE. I assumed if I went 3G only with light use I should easily get a day and a half out of this giant battery. I got that long out out of my Droid X on 3G.

Any thoughts?

I havent noticed any issues other than having to charge my phone every night. Better than the gnex where I would have to limit my uses 4 to 5 hours into the day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well, as I type, it's been running for about 50 hours with about 35% left. I suspect I can easily get to 60 hours with about 25% left. My Maxx drains about 10% overnight. I have Smart Actions on which disables wifi, syncing, bluetooth, silent from 11pm to 6:30am.

This has only been my third charge cycle, with each approaching 10% before I stick it back on the charger. My first charge cycle lasted way shorter than this, 24 hours.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast