Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
03-24-2012 03:42 PM
204 replies
Like Tree45Likes
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Well, as I type, it's been running for about 50 hours with about 35% left. I suspect I can easily get to 60 hours with about 25% left. My Maxx drains about 10% overnight. I have Smart Actions on which disables wifi, syncing, bluetooth, silent from 11pm to 6:30am.

This has only been my third charge cycle, with each approaching 10% before I stick it back on the charger. My first charge cycle lasted way shorter than this, 24 hours.
    I'm obviously not doing something right then. I just hit 50% at 13 hrs on moderate usage. Mine has averaged this since I've owned it. 50 hrs with 35% left is insane. Are you actually using it? On 4G? Ridiculous :-) Maybe you could publish your setup for the rest of us loosers. Thanks in advance.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Default Re: Razr Maxx - Battery Life

I did a quick test last night. I turned off all Smart Actions and I lost 12% over night. It was off the charger for 4 hours during that time. So far it has been off the charger for 6 hours and I have 84% remaining. (Important note: I have only gone through 3 full charge cycles, so I do not know if that makes a difference, and hopefully the battery gets stronger after a few more?)

Here are my stats:
    Android OS - 55%
    Phone idle - 21%
    Cell standby 16%
    Display - 5%
    Gmail - 2%

I still am having trouble comprehending the Android OS being so high. I am hoping maybe ICS can solve this in the next week or so when it is expected to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    I'm obviously not doing something right then. I just hit 50% at 13 hrs on moderate usage. Mine has averaged this since I've owned it. 50 hrs with 35% left is insane. Are you actually using it? On 4G? Ridiculous :-) Maybe you could publish your setup for the rest of us loosers. Thanks in advance.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx
    Well, I'm new to Android so you'll have to guide me to where I can find the setup stats. All I did was use Smart Actions to shut off pretty much most of the battery hog functions overnight.

As for usage, when I'm home I use WiFi and I do work from home but my house is in a 4G area so most of the time I see a 4G registered on the status bar. Some times I see a 3G so it does flucuate between 3 and 4, but mostly 4.

I'm not a phone hog so I have a few calls a day, say under 10 but a few are 1 hour teleconferences. I'm also playing around with the phone now with since I'm still learning the features and what cool apps that I can install.

BTW, I checkd this morning and the battery is at 27%. I took it off the charger Friday night at around 9pm and it's Monday morning....about 60 hours!

OK, I figured out where you can find the stats.

Here's what I see:

2d 12h 12 m 19s on battery

Wi-Fi - 32%
    Android OS - 16%
    Voice calls - 14%
    Phone idle - 13%
    Cell standby - 10%
    Display - 9%
    Bluetooth - 2%
    eBay - 2% ()

I think you being on Wi-Fi a majority of the time is what's helping you achieve those numbers. While you’re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you’re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. That helps. When you leave the house and go on network, the 4G icon will turn blue meaning it's now active. I'm the opposite, I spend 90% of my day out in a 4G area, using Bluetooth in my car and using about 15GB a month on 4G. I'm betting if you start doing that you'll start seeing my numbers. Thanks for the update.

I think that when we report battery life results on here, our ideas of usage patterns vary enough to make our comments left to interpretation only. Therefore I propose that when we state that we get this or that on light, moderate or heavy use, that we also include our average monthly data usage on 3 or 4G and specify which it is, so that the rest of us can properly gage what kind of user we are verses someone else stating 60hrs. It's only fair. I'll start by saying I average 15gb a month on 4G and challenge all of you to state your usage this way instead of saying low, medium, high or extreme. What do those terms mean to us without real usage numbers anyway. While I average only 24 hrs a charge out of mine at 15GB a month, a person averaging only 1GB a month is obviously using their device way less than I am and therefore would indicate to us that they're idling while mine is hard at work. I’d like to know that as part of knowing someone is achieving 60hrs from theirs making me feel like there’s something wrong with mine. If they happen to be using it as much as me, then maybe there is something wrong with mine so let’s be honest people. Disclose these things to keep these reports fair and balanced shall we. I would appreciate it.
    bradenfontaine likes this.

rbess, that makes sense. The next time I'm on a multi-day business trip, I'll keep an eye on it. For this past weekend, I was out a lot and therefore not using my home WiFi. Now with the week days here my battery should last even longer! Yeah!

And thanks for the blue vs. white indicator explanation. I was meaning to look that up to see the meaning of what the color differences are but never got around to it.

Keep us updated. I hope you continue to have great results with it. I do love this phone. I had a Samsung Droid Charge before this and although it was not bad, bad, it was never this good. Battery life as well as user experience. Aside from just the battery, everything is better with the Maxx. Signal, sound and call quality, bluetooth connection, memory and processing. The Samsung would reboot on me all the time and now the only time I experience a reboot is when I chose to. Awsome phone, keep us updated on your tricks and tips

I can't seem to get over 30 hours, how on earth is everyone getting over 60 hours??!!! I can get over 24 hours though, so I'm not totally complaining. Anyway, here are today's stats for battery - - do they sound good? Anything I can do to prolong battery?

1d 3h 49 m 36s (I am currently at 30%) - - and this is on 3g NOT 4g. I'm afraid what the 4g will do to the battery if I last 24 hours on 3g.

Display - 29% - 3h 46m 7s
    Android OS – 20 % - 46m 57s
    Phone Idle – 11% - 1d 0h 3m 28s
    Cell Standby - 10 % - 1d 3h 49m 36s - - Time w/o signal 2%
    Facebook 10% - CPU Total 20 m 59s; CPU foreground 10m 48s; Keep awake 1m 25s
    Browser – 8% - CPU Total 16m31s; CPU foreground 16m 29s; Keep awake 19s
    Mediaserver - 4% - 7m34s
    Voice Calls – 4% - 4m 10s
    Android Central Forums – 2% - CPU Total 3m 55s; Keep Awake 5s
    Gmail – 2% - CPU Total 3m 31s; Keep Awake 11m 34s
    Pandora – 2% - CPU Total 2m 6s; Keep Awake 38m 4s

Quote Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
    I can't seem to get over 30 hours, how on earth is everyone getting over 60 hours??!!! I can get over 24 hours though, so I'm not totally complaining. Anyway, here are today's stats for battery - - do they sound good? Anything I can do to prolong battery?

1d 3h 49 m 36s (I am currently at 30%) - - and this is on 3g NOT 4g. I'm afraid what the 4g will do to the battery if I last 24 hours on 3g.

Display - 29% - 3h 46m 7s
    Android OS – 20 % - 46m 57s
    Phone Idle – 11% - 1d 0h 3m 28s
    Cell Standby - 10 % - 1d 3h 49m 36s - - Time w/o signal 2%
    Facebook 10% - CPU Total 20 m 59s; CPU foreground 10m 48s; Keep awake 1m 25s
    Browser – 8% - CPU Total 16m31s; CPU foreground 16m 29s; Keep awake 19s
    Mediaserver - 4% - 7m34s
    Voice Calls – 4% - 4m 10s
    Android Central Forums – 2% - CPU Total 3m 55s; Keep Awake 5s
    Gmail – 2% - CPU Total 3m 31s; Keep Awake 11m 34s
    Pandora – 2% - CPU Total 2m 6s; Keep Awake 38m 4s
    Everyone isn't. Your results look pretty normal to me. I'm on the war path with these people reporting 60 hrs and not disclosing certain things. I'm not denying that they can get that much. I'm simply asking them to be clear about the usage and conditions that got them there. Things like how much they actually used the device, type of Data used and if it's rooted or not. This is a great phone and I work it over pretty hard. I thankfully make 24 hrs while actually using it a lot and what I'm trying to counter on here is false expectations from people like you and possible new owners. If someone reads a post on here that simply says this phone can get 60 hrs, then that person and others will begin to expect those results and view them as the norm when in reality those are not the norm. From what I’ve read, most everyone on here is getting from 18 on very heavy usage to 30-40 on light usage. Not saying 60 isn't achievable or that they shouldn't post that, just saying it's not normal daily usage. There are conditions allowing them to get that far.

With that said, I am doing an experiment with mine as we speak. Switched it to 3G, removed the live wallpaper, set the Data Saver to download on Wi-Fi only, set all my Social feeds to Manual and so on. It’s a stock phone and I’m trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can on this charge. It's 3pm here and so far I'm still above 70% at 23hrs with very minimal use. I started around 4pm yesterday, Wi-Fi at 7pm till 6am this morning, sleep mode from 12am to 6am, not streaming anything. I've checked these boards a little today, been on internet a couple of times, taken two short phone calls, texting with my wife some and still checking my work & home emails. Like I said, minimal. My goal? To reach 60 hrs so I too can say I did. Will I make that? Looks like I will exceed it. Do I miss actually using it normally? You bet. My reality? To actually use and enjoy everything about this phone and make the most out of the great 24hrs that I do get out of it. You too, should enjoy it because I see a lot of others that would prefer it over what they have.

. While you’re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you’re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. .
    you sure? i'm on my home wi-fi and the wifi and 3g symbols are both blue

I'm on a war path with these people getting 60 hrs and not disclosing certain things like how much they actually use the device and where, or if it's rooted or not.
    60hrs is possible but the phone will be on standby for a lot of the time (smart actions). Remember that theres 24hrs in a day so its only 2.5 days with very minimal useage. When they quote the 60 hrs that inc night time when the phones on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by FredBassett View Post
    you sure? i'm on my home wi-fi and the wifi and 3g symbols are both blue
    On the Droid Charge I use to have the 4G icon would go away completely while on Wi-Fi.
    I'll look at it again but mine seems to be either/or. One is white and the other blue and just don't remember them being on at the same time. I'll watch it more closely. Others have had this question also:
    WiFi /4G Blue Color. Issue Though?
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...ted-wi-fi.html

I think you being on Wi-Fi a majority of the time is what's helping you achieve those numbers. While you’re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you’re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. That helps. When you leave the house and go on network, the 4G icon will turn blue meaning it's now active. I'm the opposite, I spend 90% of my day out in a 4G area, using Bluetooth in my car and using about 15GB a month on 4G. I'm betting if you start doing that you'll start seeing my numbers. Thanks for the update.
    Actually, according to the Maxx manual, a blue icon means you're connected to your Google account, while a white icon means you're not. Check out the manual here, on page 10:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/...axx_manual.pdf
    chevyman29 likes this.
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Actually, according to the Maxx manual, a blue icon means you're connected to your Google account, while a white icon means you're not. Check out the manual here, on page 10:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/...axx_manual.pdf
    I noticed when you have data enabled, the icon is white
    When you turn on "Background Data", it goes blue. Turning background data off makes it go white again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    I noticed when you have data enabled, the icon is white
    When you turn on "Background Data", it goes blue. Turning background data off makes it go white again.
    Probably because syncing with the Google server is the most common use of background data?
    One Man Wolfpack

Global Posts
    1,001 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Probably because syncing with the Google server is the most common use of background data?
    Probably. I have all auto-syncing turned off though. Figured it really meant ALL of it. Google is excluded, I guess.

Here's another data point but I'm probably not your average user as I *mostly* work from home and thereby have WiFi available. I also have Smart Actions on at night when I sleep, pretty much turn off WiFi, GPS, sync, etc.

Battery Level - 12%

2d 14h 3m 14s on battery

Voice calls - 29%
    Wi-Fi - 23%
    Android OS - 15%
    Phone idle - 9%
    Display - 9%
    Cell standby - 7%
    Google Play Store - 2%
    Bluetooth - 2%
    Zedge - 2%

I know I may not be the "average user" but I'm happy with the run time I'm getting on a single charge!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    I know I may not be the "average user" but I'm happy with the run time I'm getting on a single charge!
    And there is the answer to all the unrest in this thread.

This is just my opinion, but personally I could care less if Moe gets 70 hours per charge Larry gets 45 and poor old curly only gets 30.

You are never going to get a thread on here to define average battery life because average use is to many different things.

There are way to many variables on battery use to beat yourself up if you only got 24 hours before charging. 3G, 4G or wifi? How are your smart actions set up? How many hours was you screen on, did you stream music, how many phone calls did you make? Do you use live wallpaper or a solid black background, do you auto sync? Add in another 100 im not including or forgetting and you can see the madness and total randomness average involves.

I had a Nexus before this phone and was charging or switching batteries 3 and 4 times a day, so you will have to forgive me for finding humor in a thread where people are pounding the hell out of their phone all day and ONLY getting 24 or 32 hours per charge.

No other phone comes close to what this delivers in battery life, some people would kill for 24 hours, be happy with the run time you get for how you use the phone, not how Moe, Larry and Curly use it.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

CORRECT! As long as I'm happy or feel that the phone is "worth it" I don't give a rat's azz on what other people are getting! LOL!

(Unless of course, if my phone dies after 2 hours then I know something is technically wrong but I don't think we are talking about that here.)

Carrier
    Apex Launcher Pro

Will a non stock launcher effect battery life significantly? I use launcher pro plus on my phone (razr maxx), and I generally get something like 18 hrs or so before my phone tells me it needs to be plugged in to it's charger (15%). I use seven home screens with 12 widgets: Launcher Pro's calendar, youtube, evernote, pandora, pulse news, the digital clock, stock weather, doubletwist, 8tracks, wifi and bluetooth toggles and launcher pro's twitter.

Pulse refreshes every 6 hours, facebook updates hourly and I get push notifications from cnn, but I'm not sure how often it refreshes. Does this seem like a setup that will drain my battery unusually fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Em_Es_Judd View Post
    Will a non stock launcher effect battery life significantly? I use launcher pro plus on my phone (razr maxx), and I generally get something like 18 hrs or so before my phone tells me it needs to be plugged in to it's charger (15%). I use seven home screens with 12 widgets: Launcher Pro's calendar, youtube, evernote, pandora, pulse news, the digital clock, stock weather, doubletwist, 8tracks, wifi and bluetooth toggles and launcher pro's twitter.

Pulse refreshes every 6 hours, facebook updates hourly and I get push notifications from cnn, but I'm not sure how often it refreshes. Does this seem like a setup that will drain my battery unusually fast?
    Sounds like it's working just fine for you.

My phone was burning through the battery and the phone's temperature was unbearable. I dld Go Power Master, pressed the "optimize" button and now all is well. My battery on a normal day would be at 50% by noon (I get up real early). Now it's at 75%. Plus the heating problem has stopped. What ever it optimized worked! It must have cleared out something that was causing problems.

Carrier
    Stock .905

I'll have to snag Go Power Master...

So far my Maxx is on the longest battery charge yet. I do think a big factor is because I'm now using wifi both at home and work. Still only on 3g other times.

1d 5h 43m 47s -- 38 % left

Display 25% - 3h 53m 41s
    Android OS 20% - 1 h 3m 34s
    Wifi 15% - 16h 56m 1s
    Phone Idle 10% - 1d 1h 50m 6s
    Cell Standby 8% - 1d 5h 43m 47s
    Browser 7% - 20m 39s
    Facebook 5% - 13m 59s
    Voice calls 4% - 6m 45s
    Alarm & Timer 3% - 8m 45s (Keep awake 13m 55s)
    Gmail 2% - 4m 59s (Keep awake 14m 36s)
    com.motorola.home 2% - 3m 27s (not sure what app this is for)

Not going to charge until I get home from work tonight, very curious to see if it will last the remainder of the day.

*edited b/c I can't spell today
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast