Razr Maxx - Battery Life

jd_jim

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had the Maxx two months and the battery does not last as long as at the outset. In addition Verizon is throttling me to the point that it's anyone's guess when the data connection will come up, or seemingly not at all. I have use WiFi. This is a breach of my agreement because I have unlimited data, but how does one take on the 800 pound gorilla? I will start with the FTC and FCC..
Any other suggestions. I have been with Verizon 10 years. In addition, the Maxx will not transmit imbedded pictures. They say it's the phone. That includes Moorland, Verizon and my ISP
I do not have that problem on my Tablet or Laptop.

jdtruong

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice Smart Actions eating up their battery? My wife has the same phone and I've noticed that her battery lasts a lot longer. The only difference app wise is that I use Smart Actions. Checked the battery use this morning and it was up over 60%.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice Smart Actions eating up their battery? My wife has the same phone and I've noticed that her battery lasts a lot longer. The only difference app wise is that I use Smart Actions. Checked the battery use this morning and it was up over 60%.

I use Smart Actions... one for at night when it's charging, I turn off sync'ing and put it on Silent... the other is for Work, I turn it to Vibrate only based on my location (Wifi location works, but I don't turn on the full GPS).

All that and when I just checked my battery I don't even see Smart Actions on the battery use list. I'm running version 2.1.2.0 of Smart Actions... what version are you using?

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere it's better to charge your battery in short bursts as opposed to keeping it plugged in all night. Don't know where I read it, or even why. I used to charge my X every night, and I'm trying not to do that with this.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere it's better to charge your battery in short bursts as opposed to keeping it plugged in all night. Don't know where I read it, or even why. I used to charge my X every night, and I'm trying not to do that with this.

I guess if that is what you want to believe... then do it.

jimr1

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know what RILD does, and can I kill it or constrain it somehow? it seems to be the major culprit in my battery usage.
thanks.

chrisamico1

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up my Razr Maxx the other day and notice a few things that I did not expect.

In the past on my Droid X my main battery culprit has always been the display, but with the Maxx it seems the Android OS takes up anywhere from 40-50% of my battery. This is very shocking to me. Does anyone know why this is? I have the exact same apps and same home screen and sync setups on the Maxx as I did the DX.

Also, I expected a little more out of the battery. With very minimal use I am getting 24 hours out of it, however when I go to sleep and allow it to discharge, I have been losing about 15-20% overnight. This seems very high. I had Smart Actions set to disable sync from midnight-5am. I just turned off the Smart Actions to see if that makes a difference.

I also turned off LTE and went strictly 3G for a day and the battery still seemed to discharge at the same rate as LTE. I assumed if I went 3G only with light use I should easily get a day and a half out of this giant battery. I got that long out out of my Droid X on 3G.

Any thoughts?

rexbitz

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I havent noticed any issues other than having to charge my phone every night. Better than the gnex where I would have to limit my uses 4 to 5 hours into the day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, as I type, it's been running for about 50 hours with about 35% left. I suspect I can easily get to 60 hours with about 25% left. My Maxx drains about 10% overnight. I have Smart Actions on which disables wifi, syncing, bluetooth, silent from 11pm to 6:30am.

This has only been my third charge cycle, with each approaching 10% before I stick it back on the charger. My first charge cycle lasted way shorter than this, 24 hours.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, as I type, it's been running for about 50 hours with about 35% left. I suspect I can easily get to 60 hours with about 25% left. My Maxx drains about 10% overnight. I have Smart Actions on which disables wifi, syncing, bluetooth, silent from 11pm to 6:30am.

This has only been my third charge cycle, with each approaching 10% before I stick it back on the charger. My first charge cycle lasted way shorter than this, 24 hours.

I'm obviously not doing something right then. I just hit 50% at 13 hrs on moderate usage. Mine has averaged this since I've owned it. 50 hrs with 35% left is insane. Are you actually using it? On 4G? Ridiculous :) Maybe you could publish your setup for the rest of us loosers. Thanks in advance.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

chrisamico1

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I did a quick test last night. I turned off all Smart Actions and I lost 12% over night. It was off the charger for 4 hours during that time. So far it has been off the charger for 6 hours and I have 84% remaining. (Important note: I have only gone through 3 full charge cycles, so I do not know if that makes a difference, and hopefully the battery gets stronger after a few more?)

Here are my stats:
Android OS - 55%
Phone idle - 21%
Cell standby 16%
Display - 5%
Gmail - 2%

I still am having trouble comprehending the Android OS being so high. I am hoping maybe ICS can solve this in the next week or so when it is expected to come out.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm obviously not doing something right then. I just hit 50% at 13 hrs on moderate usage. Mine has averaged this since I've owned it. 50 hrs with 35% left is insane. Are you actually using it? On 4G? Ridiculous :) Maybe you could publish your setup for the rest of us loosers. Thanks in advance.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Well, I'm new to Android so you'll have to guide me to where I can find the setup stats. All I did was use Smart Actions to shut off pretty much most of the battery hog functions overnight.

As for usage, when I'm home I use WiFi and I do work from home but my house is in a 4G area so most of the time I see a 4G registered on the status bar. Some times I see a 3G so it does flucuate between 3 and 4, but mostly 4.

I'm not a phone hog so I have a few calls a day, say under 10 but a few are 1 hour teleconferences. I'm also playing around with the phone now with since I'm still learning the features and what cool apps that I can install.

BTW, I checkd this morning and the battery is at 27%. I took it off the charger Friday night at around 9pm and it's Monday morning....about 60 hours! :D

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, I figured out where you can find the stats. :)

Here's what I see:

2d 12h 12 m 19s on battery

Wi-Fi - 32%
Android OS - 16%
Voice calls - 14%
Phone idle - 13%
Cell standby - 10%
Display - 9%
Bluetooth - 2%
eBay - 2% :)D)

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think you being on Wi-Fi a majority of the time is what's helping you achieve those numbers. While you’re at home the 3G/4G indicator will be present but if you’re on Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi icon will be blue and the 3G/4G icon will be White meaning you aren't using your phone radios at all. That helps. When you leave the house and go on network, the 4G icon will turn blue meaning it's now active. I'm the opposite, I spend 90% of my day out in a 4G area, using Bluetooth in my car and using about 15GB a month on 4G. I'm betting if you start doing that you'll start seeing my numbers. Thanks for the update.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think that when we report battery life results on here, our ideas of usage patterns vary enough to make our comments left to interpretation only. Therefore I propose that when we state that we get this or that on light, moderate or heavy use, that we also include our average monthly data usage on 3 or 4G and specify which it is, so that the rest of us can properly gage what kind of user we are verses someone else stating 60hrs. It's only fair. I'll start by saying I average 15gb a month on 4G and challenge all of you to state your usage this way instead of saying low, medium, high or extreme. What do those terms mean to us without real usage numbers anyway. While I average only 24 hrs a charge out of mine at 15GB a month, a person averaging only 1GB a month is obviously using their device way less than I am and therefore would indicate to us that they're idling while mine is hard at work. I’d like to know that as part of knowing someone is achieving 60hrs from theirs making me feel like there’s something wrong with mine. If they happen to be using it as much as me, then maybe there is something wrong with mine so let’s be honest people. Disclose these things to keep these reports fair and balanced shall we. I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradenfontaine

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
rbess, that makes sense. The next time I'm on a multi-day business trip, I'll keep an eye on it. For this past weekend, I was out a lot and therefore not using my home WiFi. Now with the week days here my battery should last even longer! Yeah!

And thanks for the blue vs. white indicator explanation. I was meaning to look that up to see the meaning of what the color differences are but never got around to it.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Keep us updated. I hope you continue to have great results with it. I do love this phone. I had a Samsung Droid Charge before this and although it was not bad, bad, it was never this good. Battery life as well as user experience. Aside from just the battery, everything is better with the Maxx. Signal, sound and call quality, bluetooth connection, memory and processing. The Samsung would reboot on me all the time and now the only time I experience a reboot is when I chose to. Awsome phone, keep us updated on your tricks and tips:)

Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get over 30 hours, how on earth is everyone getting over 60 hours??!!! I can get over 24 hours though, so I'm not totally complaining. Anyway, here are today's stats for battery - - do they sound good? Anything I can do to prolong battery?

1d 3h 49 m 36s (I am currently at 30%) - - and this is on 3g NOT 4g. I'm afraid what the 4g will do to the battery if I last 24 hours on 3g.

Display - 29% - 3h 46m 7s
Android OS – 20 % - 46m 57s
Phone Idle – 11% - 1d 0h 3m 28s
Cell Standby - 10 % - 1d 3h 49m 36s - - Time w/o signal 2%
Facebook 10% - CPU Total 20 m 59s; CPU foreground 10m 48s; Keep awake 1m 25s
Browser – 8% - CPU Total 16m31s; CPU foreground 16m 29s; Keep awake 19s
Mediaserver - 4% - 7m34s
Voice Calls – 4% - 4m 10s
Android Central Forums – 2% - CPU Total 3m 55s; Keep Awake 5s
Gmail – 2% - CPU Total 3m 31s; Keep Awake 11m 34s
Pandora – 2% - CPU Total 2m 6s; Keep Awake 38m 4s

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to get over 30 hours, how on earth is everyone getting over 60 hours??!!! I can get over 24 hours though, so I'm not totally complaining. Anyway, here are today's stats for battery - - do they sound good? Anything I can do to prolong battery?

1d 3h 49 m 36s (I am currently at 30%) - - and this is on 3g NOT 4g. I'm afraid what the 4g will do to the battery if I last 24 hours on 3g.

Display - 29% - 3h 46m 7s
Android OS – 20 % - 46m 57s
Phone Idle – 11% - 1d 0h 3m 28s
Cell Standby - 10 % - 1d 3h 49m 36s - - Time w/o signal 2%
Facebook 10% - CPU Total 20 m 59s; CPU foreground 10m 48s; Keep awake 1m 25s
Browser – 8% - CPU Total 16m31s; CPU foreground 16m 29s; Keep awake 19s
Mediaserver - 4% - 7m34s
Voice Calls – 4% - 4m 10s
Android Central Forums – 2% - CPU Total 3m 55s; Keep Awake 5s
Gmail – 2% - CPU Total 3m 31s; Keep Awake 11m 34s
Pandora – 2% - CPU Total 2m 6s; Keep Awake 38m 4s

Everyone isn't. Your results look pretty normal to me. I'm on the war path with these people reporting 60 hrs and not disclosing certain things. I'm not denying that they can get that much. I'm simply asking them to be clear about the usage and conditions that got them there. Things like how much they actually used the device, type of Data used and if it's rooted or not. This is a great phone and I work it over pretty hard. I thankfully make 24 hrs while actually using it a lot and what I'm trying to counter on here is false expectations from people like you and possible new owners. If someone reads a post on here that simply says this phone can get 60 hrs, then that person and others will begin to expect those results and view them as the norm when in reality those are not the norm. From what I’ve read, most everyone on here is getting from 18 on very heavy usage to 30-40 on light usage. Not saying 60 isn't achievable or that they shouldn't post that, just saying it's not normal daily usage. There are conditions allowing them to get that far.

With that said, I am doing an experiment with mine as we speak. Switched it to 3G, removed the live wallpaper, set the Data Saver to download on Wi-Fi only, set all my Social feeds to Manual and so on. It’s a stock phone and I’m trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can on this charge. It's 3pm here and so far I'm still above 70% at 23hrs with very minimal use. I started around 4pm yesterday, Wi-Fi at 7pm till 6am this morning, sleep mode from 12am to 6am, not streaming anything. I've checked these boards a little today, been on internet a couple of times, taken two short phone calls, texting with my wife some and still checking my work & home emails. Like I said, minimal. My goal? To reach 60 hrs so I too can say I did. Will I make that? Looks like I will exceed it. Do I miss actually using it normally? You bet. My reality? To actually use and enjoy everything about this phone and make the most out of the great 24hrs that I do get out of it. You too, should enjoy it because I see a lot of others that would prefer it over what they have.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac