New to Android and Maxx - question on internet browsing ??

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just ventured into the world of Android yesterday. I have been using a windows phone for a long time and an iPaq before that. I do know computers, but some of the navigation around the MAXX pass all understanding right now. Maybe it's just brain overload.

I have been browing around the forum for a few weeks in anticipation of getting this new MAXX. Now, I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer for.

When I set up the phone, I told it to use WiFi since I have a home connection. Then as I was playing around and trying a few new things, I wanted to turn it off of the WiFi and see what it was like just on the 4G connection, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

This morning I am at work, and there are two WiFi networks available, but we are not allowed to connect to them. Now when I try to get to the internet, it gives me error messages. It says the "Web page is not available", which I know is not true. Suggestions are "Check to make sure your device has a signal and data connection" which I would like to do, but can't seem to figure out.

Please help :confused: :-[

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The answer is simple.. however I do not know it.

Off topic though.. there are 2 wifi networks available at your work, and they won't allow you to connect your devices to them? Lol. Harsh

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, there's a "wireless" menu under settings that'll allow you to turn Wifi And mobile data on and off. Unfortunately, I don't have the MAXX yet, so I can't giveyou anything more specific than that.

You may also want to pin a power control widget to your home screen. I think it's either built into Android or into Moto's skinned version of it.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Off topic though.. there are 2 wifi networks available at your work, and they won't allow you to connect your devices to them? Lol. Harsh
:D

Not sure about the OP, but I can't connect personal devices to our corporate WiFi. But I work in the defense industry, so that makes perfect sense to me.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ventured into the world of Android yesterday. I have been using a windows phone for a long time and an iPaq before that. I do know computers, but some of the navigation around the MAXX pass all understanding right now. Maybe it's just brain overload.

I have been browing around the forum for a few weeks in anticipation of getting this new MAXX. Now, I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer for.

When I set up the phone, I told it to use WiFi since I have a home connection. Then as I was playing around and trying a few new things, I wanted to turn it off of the WiFi and see what it was like just on the 4G connection, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

This morning I am at work, and there are two WiFi networks available, but we are not allowed to connect to them. Now when I try to get to the internet, it gives me error messages. It says the "Web page is not available", which I know is not true. Suggestions are "Check to make sure your device has a signal and data connection" which I would like to do, but can't seem to figure out.

Please help :confused: :-[

Settings/Wireles & networks/Wi-Fi and uncheck it. I use a Switch widget from the android market for quick changes. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...et&feature=more_from_developer&token=_vZkgpKN

Reactions: covard

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the help. I can already tell that I am going to enjoy my new toy.

And, yes, they expect me to work at work. BLAH.... Can't figure that one out?!? :D

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
There is a widget right on you phone. Press on an empty spot on your Home screen. Select Widgets and scroll to you see Toggles. There are 5 choices. I use the "Power Control". You get Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, Refresh (use caution here) and Brightness.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a widget right on you phone. Press on an empty spot on your Home screen. Select Widgets and scroll to you see Toggles. There are 5 choices. I use the "Power Control". You get Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, Refresh (use caution here) and Brightness.

The problem with the stock "Toggle - Power Control" widget is that you actually can't turn off mobile data (3G/4G) with it. There is a free widget on Google Play called Power Controls by Painless Death that is free, customizable, and includes a toggle for mobile data. Don't be fooled by the icon for mobile data, which shows as 3G--it will still turn on and off your mobile data even if it is 4G.