Not sure I want ICS

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
either take off the tin foil hat, or explain how if you're rooted and running a custom rom, you'll NEVER upgrade, but you don't get kicked off the network..

also: the vzw rep we deal with kept denying the GB update for her droid x until they got it fixed...and they never booted her off the network(and don't say that was because she was a vzw rep, that's a cop out and definitely untrue)

Verizon knows what you're running and whether you're running the latest software. If your phone has an update available that includes new radios they CAN and WILL force you to accept the update or disable your phones access to the network. That is stated very plainly in your contract.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon knows what you're running and whether you're running the latest software. If your phone has an update available that includes new radios they CAN and WILL force you to accept the update or disable your phones access to the network. That is stated very plainly in your contract.

False. They do not force you to update at anytime. If you take it into the store they may tell you to update but they will not shut your phone off because you aren't on the latest version. Quit spreading B.S.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
False. They do not force you to update at anytime. If you take it into the store they may tell you to update but they will not shut your phone off because you aren't on the latest version. Quit spreading B.S.

Lmao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Not spreading BS. Its in your contract and verizon has done it before. They will force you to update, and they are getting far more aggressive about it.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind updating if it means better battery life. Less lag. And less bugs. (Or bug free)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Not spreading BS. Its in your contract and verizon has done it before. They will force you to update, and they are getting far more aggressive about it.

There is nothing in the contract saying "you have to update to the latest update" not to mention it is usually smart to wait since they have a history of putting out some buggy updates and pulling them a day later because it causes more problems than it fixes ala thunderbolt where they specifically tell you not to update.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing in the contract saying "you have to update to the latest update" not to mention it is usually smart to wait since they have a history of putting out some buggy updates and pulling them a day later because it causes more problems than it fixes ala thunderbolt where they specifically tell you not to update.

I went looking for it and I dont see it. This is one of those "pics or it didnt happen" moments. I'm still on 2.0.1 on my Droid 1 after sbfing back. I'm not getting prompted for an OTA and it keeps saying my phone is up to date tho.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

There is, actually. When I'm not on a mobile device I'll post the relevant section.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess I didnt have too many issues with the updates on my Droid X because I immediately used Swype. Loved it on my Droid 1. Thats all I really use. And I dont use streaming apps too much expect for Netflix. Maybe Tune In radio here n there.

I barely use my camera so camera issues I didnt really see. Guess it depends on how we use our phones.

With ppl happy with their RAZR's and Maxx's as is...says alot about what Moto has done with Blur on GB. I think Bionic folks are happy as is too.

Blur has certainly improved over the last few devices. It seems to flow pretty well on the Photon.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There is, actually. When I'm not on a mobile device I'll post the relevant section.

I call shenanigans as well. Its silly to think Big Red, or any company for that matter, would risk losing subscribers by cutting service because you are running version 7.3.5 instead of 7.4.8, even if its in the contract.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
This is the relevant section:

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device.

And the section about them being able to end your service:

We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (1) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) resell your Service; (c) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (d) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission; (e) steal from or lie to us; or, if you're a Postpay customer, (f) do not pay your bill on time; (g) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (h) provide credit information we can't verify; or (i) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; or (2) if you, any user of your device or any line of service on your account, or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.

In Verizon's eyes, if you refuse to upgrade your software, you are violating your contract.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but contracts will always have language like that. Basically, Verizon does have the right to terminate your service in this situation, but will they realistically? Probably only once in a blue moon.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

In Verizon's eyes, if you refuse to upgrade your software, you are violating your contract.

Uhhh, still not seeing supporting evidence there. Please highlight where it says if you don't upgrade via an OTA they will cancel your service.

It says they will send the updates to your phone, but nowhere does it say the user is required to install them.

Reactions: Premium1

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

They reserve the right to do this, but I've never once heard of them actually doing it in the case of a software update. It's just a legal way to cover their behind, not a prime directive.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Uhhh, still not seeing supporting evidence there. Please highlight where it says if you don't upgrade via an OTA they will cancel your service.

It says they will send the updates to your phone, but nowhere does it say the user is required to install them.

Agree no where does it say anything about having to install the updates pushed.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Agree no where does it say anything about having to install the updates pushed.

If you don't accept the update, your device is no longer 'certified' for their network. You don't have a choice. Soon the updates will become mandatory. (as in, unable to be declined)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I do remember where at some point you had to accept it unless you were rooted with a custom recovery. It would do it automatically. I think the G Nex does it now alot quicker than us with Droid 1's did. Us with a Droid 1 had it so we could permanently decline OTA's with a custom recovery.

At the same time...there were no sim cards on Verizon back then. I did read where Verizon mentioned sim card software...that I can understand. But OS updates? Even tho they have radio updates...its not the same as sim card software.

I will sbf or install stock 2.1 or 2.2 on my Droid 1 and see if I get prompted for an OTA. if I still dont...I dont think they meant OS updates. Who knows...Its just when I read that before you posted it...I didnt take it to mean OS updates either.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you don't accept the update, your device is no longer 'certified' for their network. You don't have a choice. Soon the updates will become mandatory. (as in, unable to be declined)

That goes for if you root your device too and run outside programs or builds. Is VZW shutting off all rooted phones then?