Home screen Doesn't Rotate?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not a feature of Gingerbread. Homescreens do rotate with Honeycomb. Not sure about ICS, but I assume so. The app drawers do autorotate with change of orientation, though.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my confusion, but I don't speak geek, so are you saying that this non-rotation of the home screens is normal?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, non-rotation of homescreens is normal.

The appdrawer comes up when you tap on the icon "Apps" in the lower right had corner of the screen--it's just the list of all of your apps, which can be customized by adding custom drawers (e.g., "Games" or "Travel"). You can then put a shortcut to your custom drawer on a homescreen, which I find avoids the slowdown that can happen if you create folders on the homescreens instead.

If you open the appdrawer, that screen will rotate when you move the phone around.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Try loading Go Launcher Ex from the market. It free. It's customizable and everything rotates if set to do so. First install an app called Home switcher so u can switch between them. If you like it then go back to your regular ui and remove all the Widgets so they won't continue running too and then make Go Launcher your default launcher.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Seems totally daft that the rest of the phone rotates, but that deosn't, but then WTFDIK?

As for me, not having the home screen rotate works best.
Keep in mind that it's a phone first and foremost.
I've installed a custom launcher that replaces the one pre-installed on the phone.
I prefer the custom launcher because it has quite a few options to make it my own.
I can also set my home screen to rotate both vertically & horizontally.
I ended up disabling the home screen rotation, because it became quite annoying.
Whenever I wanted to make a phone call, I had the hold the phone straight in a vertical position.
If I held it with a slight tilt, I would find myself chasing the Phone icon because the screen would keep changing positions. That's one of the reasons why I feel they don't allow the home screen, phone dialer, & contacts to rotate.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Cdf3 a agree with you. Even though Go Launcher can rotate the home screen I don't either because your right, it's very annoying. I use GL because it has 17 transitions and can customize the heck out of it.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I go back and forth between ADW and GO and disable home screen rotation in both.
It's quite irritating to see the home screen flip when you tilt the phone.

CRitter

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried home switcher, but when I added Go Launcher, it kept crashing. Had to delete Go Launcher to get my regular home screen back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol