Razr Maxx/Hlp me undrstnd 16GB intrnl storage vs 16 GB extrnl crd

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the Droid Razr Maxx one week ago and I am digging the phone so far.

One thing that I am confused about is the 16GB of "internal storage" and the 16GB Card that was included with the phone.

I have started downloading apps.

My prior phone was the Droid Incredible and under "manage apps," you could move applications to the SD Card.

When I open "manage apps" on the Razr Maxx, the language is different and the choice is to "Move to Media Area"

Can someone tell me what this means ??

My past strategy on my DINC, was always to try and move apps. to the SD Card, when supported and keep internal memory as unused as possible.

Where should I be storing my downloaded applications and how do I know whether they are being saved to the internal storage or to the 16GB card that came with the phone ??

Could someone educate me ?

thanks!

Last edited:

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I came from the DInc as well. Just plug your phone into a computer or download a file manager to see where they are being saved.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Razr Maxx/Hlp me undrstnd 16GB intrnl storage vs 16 GB extrnl

The Maxx has 16GB of built-in internal storage, of which only 8 GB is available to use since the other 8 GB is used for the system and uninstallable bloatware. The phone refers to this 8 GB as either "Internal storage" or "Media area." The 16GB SD card that came pre-installed on your Maxx is referred to as "SD card" or "external SD card." It can be very confusing, because if you're using a file manager, you'll often see the internal storage listed as an SD card, and the actual SD card is called an external SD card.

As far as I know, you can only move apps to the 8GB of internal storage ("media area"). I haven't done a search yet, so maybe someone else can tell us if there's a way to move apps to the external SD card.

The stock camera does give you the choice of saving pictures or videos to either internal storage or the SD card--just check the settings of the camera.

Reactions: jasonvancouver

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Forgot to mention that if you use the stock Motorola File Manager app, you can see that there is "internal phone storage" (the built-in memory) and "SD card" (the SD card)(duh).

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

The other day when I plugged my phone into my laptop, it only gave me access to the internal phone memory...not the sd card. That's a change from my Droid X. Will have to figure out if I can access the media card through the phone or if I have to remove the card from the phone to access it on my laptop.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

The Maxx has 16GB of built-in internal storage, of which only 8 GB is available to use since the other 8 GB is used for the system and uninstallable bloatware. The phone refers to this 8 GB as either "Internal storage" or "Media area." The 16GB SD card that came pre-installed on your Maxx is referred to as "SD card" or "external SD card." It can be very confusing, because if you're using a file manager, you'll often see the internal storage listed as an SD card, and the actual SD card is called an external SD card.

As far as I know, you can only move apps to the 8GB of internal storage ("media area"). I haven't done a search yet, so maybe someone else can tell us if there's a way to move apps to the external SD card.

The stock camera does give you the choice of saving pictures or videos to either internal storage or the SD card--just check the settings of the camera.

Thanks P Diddy.

I hooked up my Maxx to my PC and wasn't able to "see" internal or SD card memory, but it looks like there is an option to install "Motocast"..... maybe this will help.

I mounted the phone in "PC mode" to my desktop.

I will spend some more time on this when I can. I wish there was an easier interface so we could understand where our data is being saved and easily make changes, etc.

For example, I would like to store my music on the SD card, etc.

When I manage individual apps., I see any option to move the app to the "media area," which you mentioned is internal storage. So, maybe be default, downloaded apps. are being stored on the SD card, which is good.

Seems like a simple concept where an improved interface could decrease confusion.

On the other hand, maybe the phone is powerful enough that is doesn't really matter where the apps, music and pictures are being stored. I don't overload the memory, so maybe it's fine wherever the end up being saved.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In order to see the internal memory and SD card when you connect your phone to the computer, you need to connect it as "USB Mass Storage," not "PC Mode." To do this, when you connect the phone, swipe down the notification bar, tap "USB Connection," and then tap "USB Mass Storage." On your PC, you should then see two separate drives--one labeled "MOT" and another labeled "MOTO" (assuming you haven't renamed your SD card). "MOT" is the internal memory and "MOTO" is the SD card.

When you connect your phone, it will always ask you if you want to install Motocast--you can always just exit out of that popup. There's no way to disable that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

So to clarify, when you connect your phone to your PC and you see the Autorun window pop up on the PC screen asking you if you want to run Motocast, just exit out of that window. After a few seconds, depending on how Autorun is configured on your PC, you will probably see 2 successive Autorun windows pop up for drive "MOT" and drive "MOTO." Exit out of those windows, and just go to your PC file manager to find those drives and explore them.

Reactions: Super Turtleman

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
All apps will store on phone it has more then enough room on the phone. No need to move Apps to SD. Also the pc mode is on the phone so when u plug in to PC pull down statues bar and click the icon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

So to clarify, when you connect your phone to your PC and you see the Autorun window pop up on the PC screen asking you if you want to run Motocast, just exit out of that window. After a few seconds, depending on how Autorun is configured on your PC, you will probably see 2 successive Autorun windows pop up for drive "MOT" and drive "MOTO." Exit out of those windows, and just go to your PC file manager to find those drives and explore them.

I bet you're right. Now that I think of it I went into the phone side and after I was done there was another Auto-Run window popped up. Thanks for the tip.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

APP2SD is a free app that will allow you to move apps that you DL to sd card.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

All apps will store on phone it has more then enough room on the phone. No need to move Apps to SD. Also the pc mode is on the phone so when u plug in to PC pull down statues bar and click the icon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So, you're saying the apps ( by default) will store on phone or "internal storage" which is also known as the "media area," as discussed in the earlier thread.... Do I understand that correctly ???

It is confusing, when I look at "settings" > "Applications", then "manage applications," I select an app and can move applications between the "media area" and "move to phone." ....But I thought the "media area" was the same thing as internal memory or "the phone." I have 2 choices on where to store, for example, Google earth :

1. "move to phone" 2. move to media area. Another app that give me the same choices HSW ( How stuff works).

So....which is the best choice ??

What items to we want to have stored on the external SD Card ( 16GB)... I am thinking music, etc.?

In my droid incredible, it was easier, there was only one option to move apps to "The SD Card."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

"Move to media area" refers to the phone's internal storage, the supposed 16 GB of onboard storage memory that is advertised (but is actually more like 8 GB). This is considered to be an SD card by the system, even though it is non-removable (and is separate from the actual 16 GB SD card that came preinstalled and is removable). Applications that are moved to this media area might start up a tiny bit slower.

"Move to phone" refers to the 3 GB of RAM that is the phone's application storage. Applications here typically will start up a little faster. I'm not a super-technical techie, but think of the "phone memory" as similar to your desktop's main hard drive, and "media area" as an external hard drive connected via USB. Starting up and running a program on your main hard drive will generally be faster than running it from an external hard drive, but the advantage of the external hard drive is usually that it has significantly more storage space than your main hard drive.

In general, for the sake of performance, you should install your apps to the phone memory unless it's a huge app, because the Maxx has significantly more phone memory than other phones I've tried, and you're less likely to run out of memory as quickly. If it's a huge app, the default may be to install to the media card anyway--you can see where it installed under Settings->Applications.

I haven't tried App2SD, but you'd need to see if it gives you the option of moving an app to the EXTERNAL(removable) SD card, as opposed to the media area (which, as mentioned above, the system still considers an SD card).

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, figured I'd better clarify a couple of things you asked about:

So, you're saying the apps ( by default) will store on phone or "internal storage" which is also known as the "media area," as discussed in the earlier thread.... Do I understand that correctly ???

As discussed in my previous post, "phone memory" is different from the "media area." Phone memory is the 3GB of direct app storage that allows for fastest access, while the media area is the 8 GB available of the 16 GB of internal storage.

So....which is the best choice ??

Phone memory allows for fastest access, so it's usually the best choice. For huge apps, consider moving to the media area, but only if you're running low on phone memory. Remember, the Maxx has 3 GB of application storage space in the phone memory, which is more than 3 times that of the Incredible, so you're less likely to run low.

What items to we want to have stored on the external SD Card ( 16GB)... I am thinking music, etc.?

You can set the camera or camcorder to save to either "Internal phone storage" (which is the "media area") or "SD card" (which is the external SD card). I set it to SD card. If you like to have your music on your phone, the external SD card is also the best place to store it, as well as videos or movies.

Anyone else, please correct me if I am off base on any of this, thanks!

Reactions: jasonvancouver

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, figured I'd better clarify a couple of things you asked about:

As discussed in my previous post, "phone memory" is different from the "media area." Phone memory is the 3GB of direct app storage that allows for fastest access, while the media area is the 8 GB available of the 16 GB of internal storage.

Phone memory allows for fastest access, so it's usually the best choice. For huge apps, consider moving to the media area, but only if you're running low on phone memory. Remember, the Maxx has 3 GB of application storage space in the phone memory, which is more than 3 times that of the Incredible, so you're less likely to run low.

You can set the camera or camcorder to save to either "Internal phone storage" (which is the "media area") or "SD card" (which is the external SD card). I set it to SD card. If you like to have your music on your phone, the external SD card is also the best place to store it, as well as videos or movies.

Anyone else, please correct me if I am off base on any of this, thanks!

Ok, good explanation, thank you !!

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I haven't tried App2SD, but you'd need to see if it gives you the option of moving an app to the EXTERNAL(removable) SD card, as opposed to the media area (which, as mentioned above, the system still considers an SD card).

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

I use it and no it doesn't allow the option of moving it to the removable SD card, which is what i thought it was doing all along. So is the the removable SD card considered USB storage and if so can apps be moved here and used?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22