Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

Default Newbie question regarding silencing the phone

My daughter just got the Maxx, we have always had Samsung or HTC phones up to now, so this is unfamiliar territory. She needs to be able to entirely silence her phone while at school, but doesn't want to turn it off. The silence toggle on the lock screen seems to just put it onto vibrate, and she needs vibrate off as well.

She found that she can turn off the vibrate function, but then she has to go back in and turn it back on after school. What is the fastest way for her to go from volume and vibrate ON to volume and vibrate OFF?

Should this be handled with a Smart Action? Is there some manual way to do it very easily? Are there widgets that control these functions?

There are lots of free widgets in the Google Play Store. Just search for "silent mode" and give them a try.

Default Re: Newbie question regarding silencing the phone

Yes.... There is a widget in the Google Play Store called Silent Toggle Widget that will do exactly what she needs to do.... The widget lights up to tell you what mode it's in. Green = vibrate and sound enabled, Yellow = vibrate only, and Red = no sound or vibrate.

Hope that helps....
    Thanked by:

Go into Settings > Sound > Vibrate > select Never.... then on the lock screen you will have Sound is ON and Sound OFF (Silent without vibrate).
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Go into Settings > Sound > Vibrate > select Never.... then on the lock screen you will have Sound is ON and Sound OFF (Silent without vibrate).
    She still wants the vibrate on when she turns the sound back up, and that sounds like she would have to go back into settings and turn the vibration back on.

But that widget mrcraft2u mentions above sounds perfect!

Thanks guys!

I like an App called "Shush!"
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    I like an App called "Shush!"
    Awesome, she likes downloading and trying out multiple apps to see which one she likes!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    She still wants the vibrate on when she turns the sound back up, and that sounds like she would have to go back into settings and turn the vibration back on.

But that widget mrcraft2u mentions above sounds perfect!

Thanks guys!
    Then it's very simple... Never was not the only option available... Settings > Sound > Vibrate > select "Only when not in Silent mode"
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

Perfect!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use an app called My Profiles

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Then it's very simple... Never was not the only option available... Settings > Sound > Vibrate > select "Only when not in Silent mode"
    But than vibrate mode wouldn't work because it would be disabled. You can't have both modes by default. I know Vance asked for it to vibrate on ringer and by that, you are correct. It wouldnt hurt to use the widget and give more options though. I have toggles from Beautiful Widgets but that costs money. Silent Toggle Widget will provide the exact actions Vance is asking for so I suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    But than vibrate mode wouldn't work because it would be disabled. You can't have both modes by default. I know Vance asked for it to vibrate on ringer and by that, you are correct. It wouldnt hurt to use the widget and give more options though. I have toggles from Beautiful Widgets but that costs money. Silent Toggle Widget will provide the exact actions Vance is asking for so I suggest that.

I must disagree... my solution works just fine for what the OP asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    My daughter just got the Maxx, we have always had Samsung or HTC phones up to now, so this is unfamiliar territory. She needs to be able to entirely silence her phone while at school, but doesn't want to turn it off. The silence toggle on the lock screen seems to just put it onto vibrate, and she needs vibrate off as well.

She found that she can turn off the vibrate function, but then she has to go back in and turn it back on after school. What is the fastest way for her to go from volume and vibrate ON to volume and vibrate OFF?

Should this be handled with a Smart Action? Is there some manual way to do it very easily? Are there widgets that control these functions?
    By setting the Sound > Vibrate > "Only when not in Silent mode"... this will allow the lock screen Sound switch to go between Sound ON and Vibrate ON to Totally Silent (Sound OFF, Vibrate OFF).

I must disagree... my solution works just fine for what the OP asked...

By setting the Sound > Vibrate > "Only when not in Silent mode"... this will allow the lock screen Sound switch to go between Sound ON and Vibrate ON to Totally Silent (Sound OFF, Vibrate OFF).
    I wasn't trying to say you were wrong because your solution definitely meets their needs. I was only stating that this application will allow them to have it ring and vibrate, just vibrate, or do nothing and be silent.

Your disagreement is fine, just giving another option.

Is there a app that turns everything off except the ringer and alarm when you are sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by CSI Guy View Post
    Is there a app that turns everything off except the ringer and alarm when you are sleeping?
    My Profiles app can. One of my most used apps.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    My Profiles app can. One of my most used apps.

I'm going to try the free version of MyProfile because it seems to do as my Blackberry did back in the day and I miss that.

I'm going to try the free version of MyProfile because it seems to do as my Blackberry did back in the day and I miss that.

I went ahead and got the full version. I was able to create a Ring Only profile. Something that was standard on Blackberry, but missing in Android.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I went ahead and got the full version. I was able to create a Ring Only profile. Something that was standard on Blackberry, but missing in Android.

Ring only as in? No notifications in email, text, etc? That would be great!

Ring only as in? No notifications in email, text, etc? That would be great!

Yes. All notifications off except for incoming phone calls. Useful when I don't want to be notified of other notifications, but would rather be notified of an important phone call.