Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Heaphone Jack no longer works

Having same problem, been using headphones while on train for months now. Suddenly this morning there is no sound. When I go to settings the volume is up for media, but the speaker has a line through it. Tried the link trick, didn't work. HELP!

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

step 1. Plug in extension cable. Sound still through speaker. Step 2. Plug regular head phones into other end if extension cable. Sound now comes through headset. Step 3. Remove headset and plug in aux cable. I now have sound to my radio. Yay. Seems like there's no lint problem but it takes regular headphones to activate the switch. Yeah I know it's wonky but it's the only way mine works.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

could be the coating used on some headphones... some use gold plating, or say they do... i'd venture to say a bad coating, or sub par quality materials...
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had a problem occur where audio would not come out of my phone's speaker, and was resolved by rebooting the phone.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
    I had a problem occur where audio would not come out of my phone's speaker, and was resolved by rebooting the phone.
    that is a known hardware issue buddy. sad to say, but try pressing on the bezel directly below the speaker and see if it comes back if this happens again.

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    that is a known hardware issue buddy. sad to say, but try pressing on the bezel directly below the speaker and see if it comes back if this happens again.
    Thanks.. However, the reboot did the trick this time.. It hasn't happened since, thankfully.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
    Thanks.. However, the reboot did the trick this time.. It hasn't happened since, thankfully.
    Work that time but if it stops working you need to just send it to them for hardware failure.

sent from the fingers of a madman
    BradenFontaine@gmail.com

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Add me to the lint-pickers. Was having the problem about an hour ago...read your posts and even though I could not see lint, I used a toothpick to eventually pull out enough to fill any "inward turned belly button"
    I chatted with Moto and they said the grommets are not available from them... I will let you know if I can find the plugs for the phone jack and the other holes...
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by cobydoodle View Post
    Add me to the lint-pickers. Was having the problem about an hour ago...read your posts and even though I could not see lint, I used a toothpick to eventually pull out enough to fill any "inward turned belly button"
    I chatted with Moto and they said the grommets are not available from them... I will let you know if I can find the plugs for the phone jack and the other holes...
    I'm an expert at plugging holes., pretty much any 3.5 millimeter plug will work.

sent from the fingers of a madman
    BradenFontaine@gmail.com

so do you accept paypal for that quarter? =D - saved my day!
    Quote Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
    This happened to me on my DX. Turns out, lint from my pocket got down in there. Dumb sounding, I know. Bend a staple so it's pretty straight, hold the phone upside down and dig around in there a little. Then mail me a $0.25 tip if that was it

Figures, just ordered my warranty replacement for same issue. Will try lint trick layer today.

RAZR sharp

I also had this problem. Mine worked. But any wiggle of the headeset plug at all and it'd bzzzz, then shut off the headset sound. I posted it here and someone mentioned the lint possibility. I blew in mine and tapped it a little bit. Works perfectly now.
    A moderator needs to stick this thread please. This is very important and a known issue.
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

I owe you a quarter!

You guys rock. Getting read to pursue warranty when I read this thread. A little compressed air did the trick. Yes!!!

Happened to a few different phones i had, if blowing into it didn't work (which it usually did), a q tip ripped down to fit with a little contact cleaner worked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Thumbs up Re: Heaphone Jack no longer works

Do you accept pay pal.. lol seriously though thanks

Thanks, Straightening out a paperclip and digging around in the jack with the phone upside down worked for me.
    bradenfontaine likes this.

this happened to me 2....
    the thing with the headphones....it sucks.

My razor Maxx broke around October and i eventually got a replacement, now about two weeks ago it broke again. The store said that this wasn't a known problem... ill be taking me second one in shortly. I use my phone as my primary mp3 player, as i lost or sold my past ipods. Every day in school I usually listen to around an hour to two hours of music, and not being able to kinda blows. Just for a final kick in the balls i just got really nice headphones...

My 2 cents for this thread !!
    My Vivid has the same problem; I was very worry about, so I checked inside and see nothing, all shinny and clean.
    I grab some 96 grade alcohol and a toothpick, I cleaned inside and try to wiggle all around; after that done wet the tip of my well cleaned earphones, connect and disconnect; blow well and VOILA !!
    all is working fine again ! Thanks you guys rock !!

Plugging in headphones, making a call, switching to speakerphone, disconnecting the headphones and reconnecting the headphones worked for me.

I found that I didn't have much lint in the headphone jack, but the inside of mine was dirty and not making good contact.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Turn off your phone
    2. find a q-tip and remove+discard some of the cotton so the q-tip is small enough to fit snugly down into the headphone jack
    3. dip the end of the q-tip in rubbing alcohol
    4. Stick the wet q-tip into the headphone jack and spin it around a few times. Work it in and out a few times
    5. Pull the q-tip out and let the phone sit for a half hour or so
    6. power it up, and you should be back in business.

You could also try a damp toothpick and stick it in there and just pull out in all directions and hopefully you will get some lint out.
    Hope this helps-
    Isaac
    Razr Maxx- THE BEAST
    Droid 4
    Droid 3
    -Isaac-

Hello. I too experienced this problem and like another reply I cleaned the port with a paper clip then sucked out a very small partical came out. Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
    This happened to me on my DX. Turns out, lint from my pocket got down in there. Dumb sounding, I know. Bend a staple so it's pretty straight, hold the phone upside down and dig around in there a little. Then mail me a $0.25 tip if that was it
    Holy crap! I've already sent my first phone back because of this problem. Now it's doing it again and I thought I'd have to send it in again. Then I saw your post, straightened a stapler, and viola! A big ol' piece of lint! Where do I send the $0.25?!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast