Heaphone Jack no longer works

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I use my headphone jack all the time. Yesterday afternoon no problems, last night it's not working. Nothing was changed.

I've checked every setting I can, used multiple headphones, and different apps to no result. I think the jack is fine though as when I use my car's aux cable I can hear static through my stereo as I plug it in. Just, no sound comes though anymore. I've blown it out and looked to see if anything was in the jack and it's clear.

Ideas? Or do I have to have a new phone sent out? I've only had it a month...

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I use my headphone jack all the time. Yesterday afternoon no problems, last night it's not working. Nothing was changed.

I've checked every setting I can, used multiple headphones, and different apps to no result. I think the jack is fine though as when I use my car's aux cable I can hear static through my stereo as I plug it in. Just, no sound comes though anymore. I've blown it out and looked to see if anything was in the jack and it's clear.

Ideas? Or do I have to have a new phone sent out? I've only had it a month...

I would go through warranty. Sucks :(

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
With headphones attached, make a call and put on speakerphone. Remove headphones from jack. Disconnect call and then attach headphones again and try listening to music. Sometimes this can fix problem.

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
With headphones attached, make a call and put on speakerphone. Remove headphones from jack. Disconnect call and then attach headphones again and try listening to music. Sometimes this can fix problem.

Sadly no, thanks though.

Went to the store today and got my warranty replacement sent out. It sucks because It's a great phone and I just got it, but there ya go.

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Reposting here because it's happened again, As you can see I got my new one around May 1st.

This afternoon, no issues, get in the car after work an hour ago and nothing. All sound is playing through main speaker.

I don't use my headphones extraordinarily. Hour commute to and from work 5 days a week I use it to play podcasts in the car. At work I sometimes use headphone to watch a movie or Hulu, usually though I play though the main speaker.

I'm really upset. Do I have to order a new phone every month or so 'cause it'll break again? And, every time I get a new one there goes 3+ hours downloading and resetting every app.

Am I the ONLY person this is happening to? I got my Razr MAXX on 3/25 here we are 6/21 and I'm about to order my 2nd replacement for a hardware failure that I could not have caused myself.

What gives?

JerakisM

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem where all of a sudden some "normal" headphones stopped working. However, when I use headphones that include a microphone, everything works just fine. I am assuming it's just a brand of headphones thing, but haven't quite figured that out since I currently have a set of headphones that works.

haberd

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me to- all of a sudden. No idea why. Have yet to try headphones with inline mic tho since I don't have any. Will post back if I find some and they work. Really bummed. Assumed it was hardware issue but maybe ICS?

fixxxer7

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Reposting here because it's happened again, As you can see I got my new one around May 1st.

This afternoon, no issues, get in the car after work an hour ago and nothing. All sound is playing through main speaker.

I don't use my headphones extraordinarily. Hour commute to and from work 5 days a week I use it to play podcasts in the car. At work I sometimes use headphone to watch a movie or Hulu, usually though I play though the main speaker.

I'm really upset. Do I have to order a new phone every month or so 'cause it'll break again? And, every time I get a new one there goes 3+ hours downloading and resetting every app.

Am I the ONLY person this is happening to? I got my Razr MAXX on 3/25 here we are 6/21 and I'm about to order my 2nd replacement for a hardware failure that I could not have caused myself.

What gives?

You're not the only one, this same thing happened to me with my first Maxx. Thankfully my new one hasn't suffered this.

trippinbillies40

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me on my DX. Turns out, lint from my pocket got down in there. Dumb sounding, I know. Bend a staple so it's pretty straight, hold the phone upside down and dig around in there a little. Then mail me a $0.25 tip if that was it :)

Reactions: berq

Freegoo

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me on my DX. Turns out, lint from my pocket got down in there. Dumb sounding, I know. Bend a staple so it's pretty straight, hold the phone upside down and dig around in there a little. Then mail me a $0.25 tip if that was it :)

Same thing happened to me, felt so stupid at the Verizon store when they fixed it. Easy fix though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AstonDB9

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain man. I just had my third headphone jack go today. My fourth Razr Maxx is now on the way to me. This one didn't even last two weeks before it wouldn't cut over to headphones and only plays from the speaker.

Three times with three phones and support says it's not a known issue. I find this very hard to believe. How bad could my luck really be.. I mean what are the odds. If it's happened twice to you and three times to me it's got to be a known issue.

Anyway... good luck sir.

What gives?

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
After I reposted here I did some more research. On the Motorola MAXX forums there is a similar thread. In it, Nearly all of the replies "assures" you that it's just lint. I used the best flashlight I had and saw nothing. But, I decided to blow some canned air in there.

I turned my phone upside down, blew some caned air and hoped. Plugged in my headphones and nothing. No sound at all, not even the primary speaker. Thinking this was weird I twisted the headphone plug and after a few twists and some static I'm back in business!

I guess Motorola knows this is an issue. So much so that if you go though them (I used the live support chat) you can request something called Motoactv Grommets (for FREE) to plug into your jack to protect it from the evils of dust. Mine are on the way. Per the forums, they know this is a flawed design from previous models and this is their attempt to fix it.

Dust was my first thought when it all originally happened but since I couldn't see any thing I dismissed it. Now I wonder If I went though all that replacement crap for nothing.

kingmeow

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if using contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack or other electronics stores like Fry's on the west coast) would be better since it's a liquid and really be flushing any particles out.

den 2012

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using something like the "headset blocker" app to manually turn the headphone jack on and off? Obviously it should switch back and forth automatically when you plug & unplug your headphones but I've been reading up on a software bug that sometimes develops on some of these phones and it doesn't always recognize when a headset is plugged in, or worse yet it thinks you have headphones plugged in and you don't. Not sure if it will help or not but might be worth a try.

ccarpen

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
This happened to my Razr Maxx this morning. Reboot did not resolve. After reading this blog "trippinbillies40" solution sounded crazy but something I could do. I straightened a paper clip and moved it around in the audio jack while holding the phone upside down. Never saw anything fall out but immediately after the audio jack started working again. Lent...who knew. trippinbillies40 did. Let me know where to send the .25 cents. Thanks,

ricebw

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have lint but I was able to resolve mine by spraying electronics contact cleaner on the headphone plug and spinning it within the jack. So the contacts must be barely making contact and any dirt or grime cuts the connection. I'm guessing this will be a maintenance issue that will only surface itself when I'm in the middle of a good workout! :(

ajflores_13

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my Droid Razr Maxx for a few months and everything worked fine. One day I went to plug in an auxiliary cord and it wouldn't play. When I connected headphones, nothing was coming out of the headphones. I looked closely in the headphone jack, and sure enough, there was a small ball of lint sitting in it. It works fine now, just be careful with what you stick in there to pull the lint out.

Reactions: berq

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae