Different notification alerts/sounds help?

tkl0085

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i am a new maxx user, coming off an incredible 2.
Can i change the notification sounds between the ones for text messages and email alerts? Or with Motorola are they all lumped together? And how do i assign an individual contact a particular customized tone or notification sound, if possible? Thanks

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I think they're lumped together as far as texts and emails are concerned.

If you want to customize notifications for each person, get a texting app like Handcent or Go SMS. They both support lots of customization.

For phone calls, you can edit each persons ringtone in contacts. Select a person, hit your menu button, click options, edit ringtone.

Reactions: dbannister99

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I have changed mine so that my email alerts have no sound, and yet my test messages do. You can change the selected ringtone for the email by hitting the menu button when you are in your email. It brings up an email settings screen and you select the notifications. If you have more than one email, you have to set each one separately, so you can have a separate tone for each one, I would guess. The notification sound for text messaging is accessed the same way. Go into text messaging, hit the menu button, and select messaging settings. Notifications is down the screen, so scroll down.

I haven't done any customizing with contacts and selected ringtones. Sorry!

Hope this helps. :)

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you can have a separate sound for everything, but just not text for each contact. While each app is open, set the tone you want. Done and done.

FYI, there is a bug that may change the tones you set at random. Doesn't hit everyone, but figured I'd mention it jic.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually....You can have different sounds assigned to specific contacts when getting texts. I use handcent as my app for texting and it allows you to assign each contact it's own notification sound and color of the LED alert.

Demasiao

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Can you use multiple tones for a single notification. Like diferent tones for one thing, that way its not the same one over and over again but diferent.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
like the Gents said above, you have to go into each app, like email and messaging, and go into the settings for that app, and from there you can change the notification tones.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Same question I guess but still trying to understand if it's possible to use a separate tone for a Contact sound when receiving a text. I?ve set up a contact for the text I?m receiving then in settings, set ringtone, and chosen something different for that contact. Problem is when the text comes in it defaults to the System tone set up in the Sounds in the System Settings. I?m guessing this means that the Ring Tone option in the Contacts is only for a phone call? And that I?ll have to use something suggested above like Handcent?

4xxblessed

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about what the others have suggested, but I use the app Ringo: Ringtones & Text Tones. It's free. It's for text messages, and you can select a different notification sound for each contact. I have one sound for when my kids text me, another for my husband, and others for several friends I text regularly. It has always worked perfectly. I'm not sure what the difference is between the free Ringo and the Pro version, but the one I use is fine for specific text notifications.
Here is a link for you:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...5lbGVjdHJpY3BvY2tldC5yaW5nbyJd&token=cSsbjXAz

Same question I guess but still trying to understand if it's possible to use a separate tone for a Contact sound when receiving a text. I?ve set up a contact for the text I?m receiving then in settings, set ringtone, and chosen something different for that contact. Problem is when the text comes in it defaults to the System tone set up in the Sounds in the System Settings. I?m guessing this means that the Ring Tone option in the Contacts is only for a phone call? And that I?ll have to use something suggested above like Handcent?

InfinityDevil

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Go SMS Pro which I use has this option, along with the ability to customize reminder tones that play if you don't pick up the txt within a certain amount of time.

It also allows me to customize vibration pattern for txt which makes it easy to know if I got an email or txt when the phone is on vibrate in my pocket.

--
InfinityDevil

InfinityDevil

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
LED notifications are limited on recent Motorola devices. Look up the website for the Lite Flow app to learn more. I found that app to slow down my phone too much for my taste.
--
InfinityDevil

Ja Koe

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I want the same thing with my Kyocera Hydro. Changing my notifications settings when in email didn't work. I don't want to assign a different sound for each contact. I just want to receive a sound notification of an SMS, but not get a sound for an email notification. A friend phone has them separate, but mine doesn't. Not sure if it's Ice Cream Sandwich or Kyocera, but not well thought out at all. I want to be woken up if I get a SMS, but not if I get an email.

Anyone know of a simple app that can do this?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae