Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madisonjar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    4.0.4 AOKP

Default Should I ditch the G-Nex for a Razr Maxx?

I can't stand the battery life of my G-Nex. It won't get 10 hours on a charge, i know the Razr Maxx battery is amazing, but i'm worried about how fast the Maxx is and if the screen is a lot worse than the nexus screen (The verizon store in my town doesn't have a razr Max on display). So help me weigh the pros and cons

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    ROM
    There will be many...

Default Re: Should I ditch the G-Nex for a Razr Maxx?

I am a Gnex refugee. The Maxx in stock form is decently quick, and since I sideloaded the first ICS leak ( I am able to RSD back to GingerBread for the official) I have never once longed to have my Gnex back.

Radio strength is outstanding compared to the Gnex.
    The screen isn't as horrible as most others have said. It is a little pixelated, but not enough for me to complain.
    Battery life is bar none.
    The camera (like on the Gnex) is OK. Nothing to write home about.
    Once the bootloader bypass allows for both processor cores to be functional, it will be an absolute beast.

I have no regrets...
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    4.0.4 AOKP

Thanks. I bought the Nexus the day it came out and didn't even think i cared about battery life, but i was so terribly wrong.

I think the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. I upgraded to the Razr Maxx a month ago and at first I was going for the GN.

However, 2 things steered me toward the Razr Maxx

1. speaker quality on the GN seemed lacking... as in playing music. Not that I do a lot of this, but it is a nice feature to have. One of the VZW reps had a GN and we could barely hear music at full volume.

2. battery life is amazing on the Maxx. Some days I forget to get in on the charger and can usually get through a second day if I am not using it heavily.

All that being said... the Nexus seems to me to be a very good phone and is even larger ( I believe) than the Razr Maxx.

Unless you have extra cash, I would probably keep the Nexus.... as the Maxx will probably cost you 299.00 on VZW.

Bottom line - I think they are both good phones
    Thanked by:

I've had both. I had the razr for three weeks, then traded it for the Gnex on release day. Just bought the Maxx off contract because the Gnex was so pitiful.

--The radios in the Maxx get 4G where the Gnex struggled to get 3G.

--Gnex Speaker and external speaker were bad and got worse, I couldnt hear the person I was trying to talk to.

--Gnex, Within 10 minutes the mic stopped on EVERY call.

--Gnex= random reboots.

--Gnex is a great phone, while tethered to a power source playing games. Its not worth a dang for making calls.

--Maxx has great signal, sound, and battery life. Only fault I can find is no voice recorder.

--The Gnex display is slightly better, but washes out in the sunlight. My Maxx doesn't.

So, if you want to play games and jump from rom to rom looking for battery life, go with the Gnex. If you want to use your phone ALL day without charging, and actually make phone calls, go Maxx.
    Thanked by 2:

I ditched the gnex for the maxx as well. The build quality, battery life and radios are waaaaay better than what you get on the gnex. E maxx will have ics this month and that was the only reason I got the gnex at first. I haven't looked back.
    Thanked by:

Also switched from gnex to the razr maxx. Has a bit of "trader's remorse" at first, but that quickly changed once I loaded an ics rom on it and saw what the battery can do.

So far I've noticed:

Amazing battery life. I'm talking like 6 hours+ screen on time. I've used the phone moderately on wifi and had over 80% after 7 hours.

Build is solid. Using a screen protector and skin on this, no case. I like the thin feel, feels very sturdy as well. Didn't have any complaints about the gnex build quality either though, aside from the battery door.

Screen is fine imo. Looks good to me, and what's nice with the extra battery is you don't have to keep the screen dimmed all day either. You can put the backlight up a bit and see the colors pop.

Signal is strong. Holding 3-4 bars in a 4g area. Signal on my Gnex was also good though, surprisingly from what I hear.

Camera is meh. I'd take the gnex camera over this, even though it's lest pixels. Gnex camera was faster and had better focusing.

Overall I'd say make the trade. This phone's a beast and you can actually use it all day without having to be worried about plugging it into a charger. That right there is a simpler joy, that is overlooked.
    Follow me @ItzAstonish
    Thanked by:

Absolutely.
    Best phone decision I ever made after going through 4 faulty GN's

dang I didnt need to read this thread, I have been thinking of trading my gnex for the maxx and this thread is just fueling my fire!
    austinmueller99 likes this.