Screen cracking on the Razr Maxx?

cmms

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Getting ready to upgrade and was going to get the Razr Maxx. It seems to be THE perfect phone except I just started reading all those stories about the screen cracking for no reason. Is it a manufacturing defect? Is it too delicate to sustain regular use? I am really careful with my phones but now I am hesitant about making the move. Any suggestions/feedback?
Thanks.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I chucked mine at the wall yesterday, not one scratch. I'm sure it is just a isolated case

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I certainly haven't done any research on this, but spontaneous screen cracking is not something I've seen much of on any forum. It is Gorilla Glass, so it's pretty scratch resistant (but not scratchproof), but it's not immune to traumatic breakage.

You are correct, though--this is pretty much THE perfect phone. Some people would argue that it'll be perfect when it finally gets updated to ICS, but having had some experience with ICS on my tablets, I don't really think it'll be a quantum improvement for the Maxx to have ICS as well.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe its the digitizer that's cracking(the actual LCD) and not the GG. I bent my old DROID x almost into a U and it broke the inside screen ,not the GG. The GG just bent but never broke.

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have no screen protector on my MAXX. I take very good care of my phone. I would think if there screen issue we would see many post on it

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You would see many if you registered your phones at the Motorola Owners Forums... there is a BIG thread there on the issue.

lens pirate

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes the both the razr and the razr maxx seem to get cracks in the LCD under the the gorilla glass. I think its due to flex in the frame that the LCD can not handle. Mine cracked while in my pocket in a leather case. Not bumped just subject the stresses normal to front pocket carry. To its credit Motorola fixed it for free under warranty.

But yes based on my experience and what I have read on the subject the Razrs are subject to LCD cracking.

althomas39

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes the both the razr and the razr maxx seem to get cracks in the LCD under the the gorilla glass. I think its due to flex in the frame that the LCD can not handle. Mine cracked while in my pocket in a leather case. Not bumped just subject the stresses normal to front pocket carry. To its credit Motorola fixed it for free under warranty.

But yes based on my experience and what I have read on the subject the Razrs are subject to LCD cracking.

How did you get Motorola to fix it for free under warranty? While going through the process to send my phone for repair, I was entirely under the impression that physical damage of any kind was not covered under warranty.

jrduck1

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid them, cracked screens, like a 1st year car or bike, they always have flaws and recalls, but Motorola and Verizon say it's all your fault, that you abused your phone, voids warranty, what a joke, hmmmm, wonder if I can get away with this also, go put a Air Cond or heating system in someones house or building, give them a 1 year warranty, void it and say you abused it. LOL, my ass would be sued, guess the big companies can hide behind laws or something, good luck, please treat your phone like a egg, carry it very careful, I would like to buy one, put it in room, heat and cold, never move it, just video tape it and see if screen cracks. :-\, almost &
$600.00 tied up into this phone already. Sad.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid them, cracked screens, like a 1st year car or bike, they always have flaws and recalls, but Motorola and Verizon say it's all your fault, that you abused your phone, voids warranty, what a joke, hmmmm, wonder if I can get away with this also, go put a Air Cond or heating system in someones house or building, give them a 1 year warranty, void it and say you abused it. LOL, my ass would be sued, guess the big companies can hide behind laws or something, good luck, please treat your phone like a egg, carry it very careful, I would like to buy one, put it in room, heat and cold, never move it, just video tape it and see if screen cracks. :-\, almost &
$600.00 tied up into this phone already. Sad.

You dropped your phone. That's not a defect, it's user error.

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Getting ready to upgrade and was going to get the Razr Maxx. It seems to be THE perfect phone except I just started reading all those stories about the screen cracking for no reason. Is it a manufacturing defect? Is it too delicate to sustain regular use? I am really careful with my phones but now I am hesitant about making the move. Any suggestions/feedback?
Thanks.

I work outside everyday in a very very dangerous job &I am always dropping & smashing my Maxx against something & not even a Nick on it... I went thru 8 thunderbolts... So I know the Maxx is much better built..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bradenfontaine

tkolgen

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a lot of replacement MAXX phones due to the data dropping issue and one of them the screen cracked in my pocket without it getting hit or anything. I assumed it was a bad replacement phone due to the face it was all cracked on the outside edges. Looked to me like they sent me a phone that had a glass repair and they didn't do a good job repairing it. Either way they sent me another phone no questions asked. Besides that phone all others have been really solid on the screen.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Of "all" the issues people read about it, I bet the number of people without cracked screens is VERY much greater. Sometimes you get a not-so-realistic picture as to how many people are having problems, based on a forum thread.

Reactions: Eclipse2K