Going Razr, a few questions

BerryCracked

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Finally moving from BB. Razr Maxx seems like the best option at the moment. Would have liked a higher rez display, but not willing to trade it for no microSD slot.

--The phone (razr) came out 7 months ago? Long time in current release cycles, but there doesn't seem to be anything concrete on the horizon (DInc 4G?)?

--The moto forums note an issue with some displays having block blotches and lines when the display is turned down and showing mostly black. Movies showing black in a dim room seem to be a common demonstrator. Is this common enough that I will likely need to swap a device or two to find a decent one? Or is this not really a problem?

--Any difference between picking up a unit at a corp store (not going to get someone else's reject) rather than VZ online?

--Insurance? Given the size of the device and occasional LCD crack reports, do most people get insurance? It will live in a seidio case/holster.

Looking forward to the droid experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The black splotch thing is very common with LCD screens. I've seen it with the HTC Droid Incredible, Sony Xperia Play, Acer Iconia A500 and A100, and the Microsoft Zune HD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

isaacdibb1095

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Finally moving from BB. Razr Maxx seems like the best option at the moment. Would have liked a higher rez display, but not willing to trade it for no microSD slot.

--The phone (razr) came out 7 months ago? Long time in current release cycles, but there doesn't seem to be anything concrete on the horizon (DInc 4G?)?

--The moto forums note an issue with some displays having block blotches and lines when the display is turned down and showing mostly black. Movies showing black in a dim room seem to be a common demonstrator. Is this common enough that I will likely need to swap a device or two to find a decent one? Or is this not really a problem?

--Any difference between picking up a unit at a corp store (not going to get someone else's reject) rather than VZ online?

--Insurance? Given the size of the device and occasional LCD crack reports, do most people get insurance? It will live in a seidio case/holster.

Looking forward to the droid experience.

I have had it with both of my maxx's but it is pretty much just how they install them.. it looks like fingerprints to me..

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
When I first heard of this, I looked real hard and didn't notice any but on the other hand I never use the phone without screen illumination. Can't see what I'm doing with it dark.

I suspect keeping the screen black is a hold over from phones that suffer weak batteries an is not a problem here. I just keep it on automatic and so if the problem exist I can't see it.

Reactions: djrakowski

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
No difference in getting the phone from the corp store or online. In fact, think about getting it from Best Buy or Costco. With Best Buy, you get 30 days (45 for premier silver members) to return it, and 90 at Costco I think. In that time, maybe the Razr HD will be released and you can swap.

I always go with no case/screen protectors on my phones and have never had any issues. I'm careful however. This phone seems pretty durable.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The DROID Fighter is on the horizon, even if there isn't anything official yet. Personally, I wouldn't buy a phone that was already over half a year old. That being said, the DROID RAZR is an excellent phone that shouldn't let you down.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I always get insurance. At a replacement price if $650, and the highest insurance monthly payment being $7 means that over a 24 month contract you pay $168 insurance. If you have one claim you come out $382 ahead ($650-168-100 deductible) The math makes it a simple choice for me. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Excellent analysis, cordoni! I find that insurance just gives me peace of mind.

Reactions: cordoni

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
When I first heard of this, I looked real hard and didn't notice any but on the other hand I never use the phone without screen illumination. Can't see what I'm doing with it dark.

I suspect keeping the screen black is a hold over from phones that suffer weak batteries an is not a problem here. I just keep it on automatic and so if the problem exist I can't see it.

Same here. No reason to dim the maxx screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol