How to turn off 4G

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I know that this must be out there somewhere, but I can't find it.

I just wanted to experiment a little with the difference between 3g and 4g, to see what difference it makes. Also, I will be traveling out of my 4g area for a vacation where there is very little even 3g coverage.

How do you turn off the 4g??

Sorry, that I haven't been able to find this. I know it must be discussed somewhere. I have seen references to it, but no instructions.

Thank you, kindly, in advance.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
i cannot be specific because we have different brands, but you should go into settings, then mobile network. click on that and you should find an option in there to switch between the two

Reactions: covard

covard

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
OK. I guess you just have to think like a programmer.....

I didn't see 3g/4g anywhere, but that's because they call it CDMA/LTE instead. Why didn't I think of that???? They just can't make it easy to understand, I guess.

Thanks, for knocking me upside the head :D

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
See if we programmers make it user friendly, then all you users might get uppity. We have to maintain our superiority by baffling you and writing things in code only we know. User friendly should be a myth

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There are also a few widgets out there that can bring you to this option in your menu with a single click. Search "4g toggle" in the Play Store. I don't think you can actually toggle 4g on and off directly, but the widget will bring you to that part of the settings menu.

kcromar

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My phone just upgraded its OS last friday and now I can't seem to access the 3G menu - it is grayed out. I even tried the 4G toggle and it brings me to my screen but Preferred network: LTE/CDMA is grayed out so I can't change it. It is driving me crazy whenever I put my phone near a speaker it buzzes.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
on ICS on the Razr you cannot toggle 4G/3G. you would have to download an app, or root. see above. on the SIII the setup is different and does not apply to our phones...

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You can get into the Testing Menu and turn it off that way I believe. *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer, do not press SEND. It will give you an option to select the network type.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That's pretty cool. So if you go to Phone Info and select hit "turn on lte ram dump" to make it "turn off lte ram dump" that kills the 4G and you are 3G from thereon? Does it affect any other radio signals?

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
That's pretty cool. So if you go to Phone Info and select hit "turn on lte ram dump" to make it "turn off lte ram dump" that kills the 4G and you are 3G from thereon? Does it affect any other radio signals?

I don't know about that. I do know that what you do is go to Phone Info and about midway you'll see LTE/CDMA/EvDo right above a button that has "Turn off radio". Hit the LTE/CDMA/EvDo and you will see a drop down that gives you quite a few options. If you want 4G keep it on LTE/CDMA/EvDo and if you want 3G hit CDMA auto(PRL).

I haven't noticed any ill affect on radio signal. Sometimes when you switch it, you won't see a 3G or a 4G at all on the top right of your phone screen. Wait a few minutes and if it still doesn't show up I usually turn airplane mode on for a couple seconds to fix it and some folks will just restart their phone.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
There's a free app in the Play Store called LTE OnOff - HTC Thunderbolt that allows you to switch between 3G and 4G LTE. Even though it has HTC in the app title, it works on other phones including my Droid Razr Maxx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek