Camera - - is it a dealbreaker?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nope I'm using the stock camera with no apps to modify pics. With those pics all settings were set to normal. I always try to long press the camera button instead of quickly tapping it so that you don't get the shake from the quick touch.

via Razr MAXX

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As a father of a 3 year old son & daughter due next month, the camera is a HUGE selling point. We have a DSLR, but don't often bring it with us wherever we go. Our Android phones are always with us.

I was hoping that the Droid Incredible 4g LTE was going to have the ImageSense camera from the HTC One series, so I may hold out for the next HTC on VZW that does.

I agree that 3rd party camera apps can perform better than the stock one, but a software enhancement can't fully take the place of better hardware.
If a software can make it look better it isn't because of a lack of software, unless we are referring to digital entrancement but I don't believe the apps referred to do that kind of work. Apps doing digital rework like optical/digital zoom is what I am referring. Hardware is great ont his phone. I defiantly agree with low lighting situations though. It is like the flash and camera are out of sync completely on this aspect.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
From my Maxx on auto. I think the outdoor shots are great.

45f9c931-6b80-d650.jpg

45f9c931-6bed-fa93.jpg

45f9c931-6ba1-f5db.jpg

Sent from Droid Razr MAXX

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I just wanted to update this thread since I've gotten the Maxx. So far the camera has been better than I expected. Could be because my X had the worst camera ever and my expectations were low, but I've been happy with it thus far. The screen too. I think the pictures look very crisp and clear. Certainly not as good as an iphone or my hubby's Rezound, but I think they're still pretty good. No regrets here!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This camera is ok but I find the pictures really dark even in sunlight.

You can try adjusting the exposure--however, this will cause the brighter areas of the photo to look washed out. The camera unfortunately doesn't deal with high contrast too well, so outdoor shots when it's sunny will show a lot of contrast between bright and dark areas. The LED flash isn't strong enough to act as a fill flash either, so there's not much you can do about it. You could always try an app like HDR Camera, which takes several versions of the same shot at different exposures and combines them to form one picture with more even exposure throughout, but it requires the scene to remain pretty still.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

nothing wrong with this camera...

Nice picture! But you can still see the wide contrast between the very bright sky and more muted intensity of the planes--that's what I was talking about. It'd be nice if the camera had a way to do more directed metering--that is, indicate an area of the viewscreen that should be the reference point for exposure. Instead, I think the metering is averaged over the entire viewscreen, which is why if the sky is bright and foreground objects are in some shade, the latter will look really dark at the expense of a normal looking sky. If you can somehow have the foreground objects fill most of the viewscreen, then they'll look better, but then the sky will look super-washed-out. (Hence, the need for high dynamic range camera apps like HDR Camera.)

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
You will have a hard time finding any camera on a smartphone that will do well in low light situations. Even the iPhone 4s has problems. You need to base the camera decision on how it works in good light and I can say that the Maxx is much better than my Galaxy Nexus. My wife has a Rezound and they are about the same. You might want to wait for the Droid HD. It is supposed to have a 13 MP camera and HD display.

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The camera is one of the weak points for this phone. heck half the time i get better pics off my blackberry bold 9930 . But the video is better on the razr

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I rarely take pictures with my phone but my friends were curious about the vehicle I was buying so I took one at the dealership. Overall, the camera performs better than I expect from a phone so I'm very happy with the results.

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
4ad7e247-1dbb-f428.jpg

Taken at a dark museum... Not too bad.. It is only a phone...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect it to be a camera, I also never use the stock camera always use either camera zoom fx or hdr camera plus. It fits my needs just fine.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.

Reactions: TitoRoE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital