NFC Chip

BIGsinner

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I asked a Verizon rep if the Razr (and the Razr Maxx) really had an NFC chip. He confirmed it did, but it was unactivated because of security concerns.

While I'm excited to hear about my Razr Maxx really does have an NFC chip, I can't help but doubt security concerns that Verizon has. I mean if security was really an issue, why would Motorola put it there in the first place?

I'm wondering if Verizon plans to activate the NFC chip when it updates its Razr(s) to ICS. Howerver, now that Motorola is now owned by Google, I don't think it is going to happen since Google Wallet conflicts with ISIS, the mobile payment system that is backed by AT&T, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile.

Unfortunately as far as this NFC chip goes, I don't think Motorola is going to play nice with Verizon. :(

----------------------------------------------

Time to get all your Archer jokes out of the way.

Last edited:

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not buying it that the RAZR has nfc. My gnex had it. But I highly doubt the RAZR does unless there's a way to prove this. It would say on the battery regardless. I understand the RAZR battery is non removable but it would still say on the battery and would have to pass FCC anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It was there in the tear down, just the drivers aren't there. It could easily be activated with the release of ICS, hopefully.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure if there was a NFC chip someone would have the drivers for a rooted phone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It was there in the tear down, just the drivers aren't there. It could easily be activated with the release of ICS, hopefully.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

I don't see anywhere. Where does it say nfc? Or near field communication? It would have to show if it was there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Motorola Droid Razr story in NFCWorld
Interesting. I guess it all depends on what sources you trust. I'm really liking this phone more and more everyday. We know ICS is coming with facetime and all, the other day we learned it will get an update as a world phone and now NFC possibilities even though it was never advertised. It's like xmas every month:) The Maxx HD will probably have all of this packed into it under that HD display. Nice. Still like mine too.

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Not to throw too much fuel on the fire, but I saw the attached image on a different site and was asking myself why would Google Wallet list the Droid Razr as a device. Check out the image.

***EDIT: It will not install on the current ROM version, but maybe the next ICS version... maybe not, but it does make me think it's possible.

dellenrules

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not to throw too much fuel on the fire, but I saw the attached image on a different site and was asking myself why would Google Wallet list the Droid Razr as a device. Check out the image.

***EDIT: It will not install on the current ROM version, but maybe the next ICS version... maybe not, but it does make me think it's possible.

FYI
The play store will list all the devices associated with your account that you didn't hide.
It's not a list of devices compatible with that app, but rather devices you currently have registered with google or previously owned and neglected to "hide in menus"

If it is BLACK.it means it's compatible.
If it is GRAY then it's not.

Being grayed out DOES NOT mean it will be compatible in the future. It just means that the device is registered to you and it's not compatible. Nothing more.

EladII

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I saw on a Motorola promo piece that with the Jelly Bean update, the Maxx would have NFC Beam capabilities. Then when I went to the place that it directed me to turn it on, the NFC button wasn't there.

Do we have this chip and the capability to use Android Beam? Thanks in advance.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nfc framework was added to our release. It would require nfc hardware which seems to be a battery. Even if the option was there it would still be, missing the hardware.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers