Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does my Maxx lose data?

So normally my 4G is nice and quick - sometimes faster than my wifi link to my fiber at home. But at times it's very very VERY slow - dropping from 15 meg or so down to less than 300k. I downloaded a program called FastReboot which doesn't really reboot at all, but closes unused and hung processes. Sometimes it helps, other times not. Motorola has a program called RestoreConnection which says it resets comms radio settings to normal then reboots the phone. That fixes it, but so does a simple reboot without running the program. I don't see why this should even be an issue, but it happens with some regularity. Motorola says they've noted the problem with the Easy Battery Saver and Task Killer app screwing up the 4G settings (which they say their app is supposed to be intended to fix), but I never have even downloaded it.

Why on earth does this happen? This is the first smartphone I've had that borks it's own radio.

Incidentally, when rebooting people are saying hold the volume down key and the power key. Why mess with the volume down key? Holding just the power key pops the option window that says turn off the phone. So does holding down the volume AND power key. I don't see the difference.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Why does my Maxx lose data?

As an update - and I'm sure this isn't news to a lot of people - this is very far from a new problem. I went Googling and it seems to have been around since the introduction of the Maxx. That's, well, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    So normally my 4G is nice and quick - sometimes faster than my wifi link to my fiber at home. But at times it's very very VERY slow - dropping from 15 meg or so down to less than 300k. I downloaded a program called FastReboot which doesn't really reboot at all, but closes unused and hung processes. Sometimes it helps, other times not. Motorola has a program called RestoreConnection which says it resets comms radio settings to normal then reboots the phone. That fixes it, but so does a simple reboot without running the program. I don't see why this should even be an issue, but it happens with some regularity. Motorola says they've noted the problem with the Easy Battery Saver and Task Killer app screwing up the 4G settings (which they say their app is supposed to be intended to fix), but I never have even downloaded it.

Why on earth does this happen? This is the first smartphone I've had that borks it's own radio.

Incidentally, when rebooting people are saying hold the volume down key and the power key. Why mess with the volume down key? Holding just the power key pops the option window that says turn off the phone. So does holding down the volume AND power key. I don't see the difference.
    My understanding is when the power and volume button is used it simulates doing a battery pull. Can the Easy battery Saver and Task Killer process be disabled to solve the problem for now? I have the same problem. I am going to disable all of the Smart Actions, do the battery pull method and run this config for a while to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the info.

THX
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    My understanding is when the power and volume button is used it simulates doing a battery pull. Can the Easy battery Saver and Task Killer process be disabled to solve the problem for now? I have the same problem. I am going to disable all of the Smart Actions, do the battery pull method and run this config for a while to see it fixes the problem. Thanks for the info.

THX
    As I said, easy battery saver and task killer is not and never was installed on my phone. I mention it because it appears on the Motorola Razr forums to be an issue and there is a notice on it accompanying the restore connectivity app in the market. But I never use battery savers.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    As I said, easy battery saver and task killer is not and never was installed on my phone. I mention it because it appears on the Motorola Razr forums to be an issue and there is a notice on it accompanying the restore connectivity app in the market. But I never use battery savers.
    I tried power cycle, battery pull, disabled all saver apps, reseated sim card and the moto app. Still have the problem. Next is to get a replacement sim card. On my charge it fixed the issue.