Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Shared Data Package

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonking View Post
    If you think the "Current Plan" will be around much longer you are insane.
    It wasn't even a year ago they told us that unlimited was grandfathered in for us forever, as long as we stayed current with Verizon.

And yes I am bitter, and unless your head is in the sand, I am not the only one.

Prices go up? Actually, as a product line matures, COST goes DOWN. No way do they Double.
    Don't forget that data usage has grown significantly over the past 2 years therefore the cell companies have to expand their "Access" which does cost more money. The reality is any business will do what it has to cover it's cost. If they don't they'll end up in financial trouble and then customers will be in a far worse position once that company goes under. There are two larger carriers right now that are in fairly large financial holes. Anyone is free to go and try one of the other carriers that might be less expensive to see what your experience is like. Others that are less expensive are for a reason as there are cost that they've cut that do affect the customers experience.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Un-rooted

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    If you say unlimited text is 30 and not 20, that's 10 extra per line, or 20 bucks. So I'm saving even more on the new plan, not less. You see what I'm saying? I'll break it down again:

CURRENT
    =========
    Smartphone 1:
    $70.00 for 700 minutes
    $30.00 - Data
    $30.00 - Unlimited Text
    ----------
    $130.00

Smartphone 2:
    $10.00 - Add a line fee
    $30.00 - Data
    $30.00 - Unlimited Text
    ---------
    $70.00

Total: $200.00

NEW PLAN
    =========
    Smartphone 1:
    $40.00 - Unlimited voice and text

Smartphone 2:
    $40.00 - Unlimited voice and text

Shared Data:
    $70.00 - 4GB

Mobile Hotspot:
    Free

Total: $150.00

That's saving 50 bucks a month. I currently don't even use close to 4GB a month on my lines. I could save even more by going to a 2GB plan.

It's not an illusion, so smoke and mirrors. These are factual numbers. I'm not sure I understand where you aren't seeing the savings in this scenario.
    Your getting ripped off now with unlimited text for $30 per line. We have unlimited text for all lines for $20.

I have the family share 1400 with 5 lines (3 smartphones, 2 dumb phones) and pay around $250 a month.

This looks tempting since I have my son wanting to get a smart phone. With the new plan it would workout that I'd pay an extra $10 a month to add a smartphone on his line.

The issue is that dad doesn't want give up his unlimited. lol.

All 3 of the smartphones on my account are unlimited. It makes me sick to see that my wife and daughter only use 100-200 mb each of their unlimited. So I'm currently over paying for their data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Deluxe Member

Here's my take on this:

1 - We are all getting screwed. As someone said, the unit cost (1 gig) for data is going up from $15 to $30 on this shared plan. It's the trick some food manufacturers use (ice cream and peanut butter, specifically come to mind) where they charge you the same amount (or more in some cases) but reduce the amount of product you get for the price. You think you aren't spending more, but you are.

2 - If you use the wifi tether as a 'plus' with these new plans, you need to re-think your reasoning. The wifi tether is a HOG of data, as you're more likely to do more on a larger device than on your phone. If you think you're saving money by just getting the 1 GB plan and getting Wifi tether as a bonus, you are in for a rude awakening once that data overage hits.

3 - On paper, yes, some people's bills will be smaller. But, again, if you choose the wrong data plan, you will be sorry.

4 - Don't say 'no one is forcing you to change your plan' because that is exactly what Verizon is doing. If they weren't, then they wouldn't be getting rid of the unlimited plan, would they? No one will pay retail for a phone in order to keep unlimited, as the cost of the new phone doesn't justify it in relation to the going rate of the data. Also, if too many people keep their unlimited plans, don't doubt Verizon won't get rid of them altogether eventually.

5 - Sharing data is not good. If you use your phone for business, and have family on the plan as well, you're asking for trouble. Say you're close to your limit and your son decides to stream a movie and your daughter updates a few apps, just before you are planning to send a large file to a couple people at work. Hello extra $50 charge.

Droid Razr Maxx: This is the Droid I'm looking for.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by MA2GA28 View Post
    Here's my take on this:

1 - We are all getting screwed. As someone said, the unit cost (1 gig) for data is going up from $15 to $30 on this shared plan. It's the trick some food manufacturers use (ice cream and peanut butter, specifically come to mind) where they charge you the same amount (or more in some cases) but reduce the amount of product you get for the price. You think you aren't spending more, but you are.

2 - If you use the wifi tether as a 'plus' with these new plans, you need to re-think your reasoning. The wifi tether is a HOG of data, as you're more likely to do more on a larger device than on your phone. If you think you're saving money by just getting the 1 GB plan and getting Wifi tether as a bonus, you are in for a rude awakening once that data overage hits.

3 - On paper, yes, some people's bills will be smaller. But, again, if you choose the wrong data plan, you will be sorry.

4 - Don't say 'no one is forcing you to change your plan' because that is exactly what Verizon is doing. If they weren't, then they wouldn't be getting rid of the unlimited plan, would they? No one will pay retail for a phone in order to keep unlimited, as the cost of the new phone doesn't justify it in relation to the going rate of the data. Also, if too many people keep their unlimited plans, don't doubt Verizon won't get rid of them altogether eventually.

5 - Sharing data is not good. If you use your phone for business, and have family on the plan as well, you're asking for trouble. Say you're close to your limit and your son decides to stream a movie and your daughter updates a few apps, just before you are planning to send a large file to a couple people at work. Hello extra $50 charge.
    Yea I agree. I called the verizon store here in town and she told me I would come out cheaper leaving things as they are. I told her I wanted to upgrade my 3rd line and get a smartphone and she said I would still come out cheaper. Seems like this family shared data really isn't for everybody.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MA2GA28 View Post
    Here's my take on this:

I'll gladly pay full retail for a device if it means I keep unlimited data. I would never pay the going rate for 1 GB each month and have to worry about going over. The moment Verizon decides to force me off of unlimited data is the moment I drop down to a dumb phone. Mobile data is nice, but in no way will I pay that much for a gig of data. I thought the 2GB/4GB prices were ridiculous. This is getting out of hand already.
    Super Turtleman likes this.

I decided to have some fun at Verizon's expense. I have unlimited data on my phone, but only use about 1 GB due to using wireless at home and work. Thankfully, I just upgraded to Razr Maxx and my wife had just upgraded her dumb phone, so I will not need to worry about changing plans for 2 years.

We also have the 700 family share plan, and use no more than 500 minutes any month. When they announced the family data plan a few months ago, I figured it would benefit me a little, but they surprised me by only offering unlimited talk and text with it, in order to keep the prices up.

SO, I have turned wireless off. I will now run all of my data through 4G/3G rather than wireless. And to top it off, I also decided to stream the U.S. Open through the App yesterday, and my usage went from 700mb with 6 days left in my cycle, to 2.1GB today before starting to stream the app again.

I have always overpaid for my wireless service, because I wanted the service. I thankfully will continue to have the same service (with unlimited for almost 2 more years), but I will now make it cost Verizon Wireless more for me being a customer by using more of their data.....I will try hard each month to push as much data through my phone each and every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    I decided to have some fun at Verizon's expense. I have unlimited data on my phone, but only use about 1 GB due to using wireless at home and work. Thankfully, I just upgraded to Razr Maxx and my wife had just upgraded her dumb phone, so I will not need to worry about changing plans for 2 years.

We also have the 700 family share plan, and use no more than 500 minutes any month. When they announced the family data plan a few months ago, I figured it would benefit me a little, but they surprised me by only offering unlimited talk and text with it, in order to keep the prices up.

SO, I have turned wireless off. I will now run all of my data through 4G/3G rather than wireless. And to top it off, I also decided to stream the U.S. Open through the App yesterday, and my usage went from 700mb with 6 days left in my cycle, to 2.1GB today before starting to stream the app again.

I have always overpaid for my wireless service, because I wanted the service. I thankfully will continue to have the same service (with unlimited for almost 2 more years), but I will now make it cost Verizon Wireless more for me being a customer by using more of their data.....I will try hard each month to push as much data through my phone each and every month.
    So what do you plan to accomplish with this change you've made?

Global Posts
    2,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You really stuck it to them didn't you?? I'm sure because of your carefully thought out plan, they will have to throttle data for everyone and come up with even more new data plans just to recover from all the data you are using. Not to mention the money they are losing because of it.

Bottom line is all you are doing is using more battery on your phone to stream over the radio instead of wi-fi. You are still paying the same amount of money each month regardless.

While you are at it, why not make prank phone calls to use up all of your 700 minutes? Same premise right??
    Thanked by 4:

The reality is carriers HAVE to go away from unlimited data plans. With the amount of devices on the networks now and the usage getting heavier & heavier (people streaming the radio, dowloading movies/music) the users who use the most data SHOULD pay more than a moderate to low user. So for those who use a lot understand that the carriers cannot afford to offer unlimited data any longer. If they didn't adjust then the network would just run slower and slower for everyone. When the Carriers (who by the way are the ones who invest billions of dollars to give us these capabilities) have to adapt you can bet the users have to adapt as well. If you don't like losing your unlimited data feel free to start up your own carrier and offer that to your customers
    Thanked by 2:
    rutter207Ry 

Lmao some of this stuff is so 3'rd grade.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    Lmao some of this stuff is so 3'rd grade.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.
    Lol....Right

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

You sure showed them......................
    Thanked by 3:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

I pay for unlimited data, so I am going to use, unlimited data. Suck it Verizon.

Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Default I'm a Data/ Voice Hog!

VZW used the eminent demise of unlimited plans to push sales of the TB on their new 4G network.

Now they are using the threat of losing subsidized upgrades to push sales of the new S3.

They load our phones with data hungry bloatware, promote Cloud storage, all the while marketing the
    bandwidth they save by pushing us out of unlimited data to other markets.

I am a data/voice hog, using 27 GB and 3300 minutes with two phones on a family plan for about $308.

I normally only tether for email from corporate domain, but use the phone as a lifeline with family and friends and watching DroidTV. I'm on the road 7 to 8 weeks at a time and use the phone for entertainment and communication.

Isn't this the way VZW advertised their products?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestuser1 View Post
    So what do you plan to accomplish with this change you've made?
    Nothing on a grand scale. Just start to make me feel I am getting more for my money, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    You really stuck it to them didn't you?? I'm sure because of your carefully thought out plan, they will have to throttle data for everyone and come up with even more new data plans just to recover from all the data you are using. Not to mention the money they are losing because of it.

Bottom line is all you are doing is using more battery on your phone to stream over the radio instead of wi-fi. You are still paying the same amount of money each month regardless.

While you are at it, why not make prank phone calls to use up all of your 700 minutes? Same premise right??
    yes, still paying the same. Only using more of their data, instead of my home data, or work data. I figure if everyone else is a data hog, why not become one too, right...

Quote Originally Posted by rutter207 View Post
    You sure showed them......................
    Not my intent, but thanks for thinking about me....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I like this. That gave me a good laugh tonight....

yes, still paying the same. Only using more of their data, instead of my home data, or work data. I figure if everyone else is a data hog, why not become one too, right...
    He has a point there...if you have unlimited 4g and a capped home plan, it would be economically foolish to choose wifi. Of course factoring in added power consumption (higher battery drain = earlier/more prolonged recharges) and the fact that many don't have much trouble staying under current home caps makes the point fairly irrelevant.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Noble_Logistics View Post
    VZW used the eminent demise of unlimited plans to push sales of the TB on their new 4G network.

Now they are using the threat of losing subsidized upgrades to push sales of the new S3.

They load our phones with data hungry bloatware, promote Cloud storage, all the while marketing the
    bandwidth they save by pushing us out of unlimited data to other markets.

I am a data/voice hog, using 27 GB and 3300 minutes with two phones on a family plan for about $308.

I normally only tether for email from corporate domain, but use the phone as a lifeline with family and friends and watching DroidTV. I'm on the road 7 to 8 weeks at a time and use the phone for entertainment and communication.

Isn't this the way VZW advertised their products?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    So you're the guy we should be blaming for all this. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I'll gladly pay full retail for a device if it means I keep unlimited data. I would never pay the going rate for 1 GB each month and have to worry about going over. The moment Verizon decides to force me off of unlimited data is the moment I drop down to a dumb phone. Mobile data is nice, but in no way will I pay that much for a gig of data. I thought the 2GB/4GB prices were ridiculous. This is getting out of hand already.
    I agree with this as of right now. However, being locked in for 2 years (unless they change something else), who knows what my thoughts will be then.
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

I have 5 smart phones on my account 4 are unlimited data and 1 is on a 2gig plan, add insurance on a couple of them and I pay 227.42 for data, Ins and line charges on top of that I pay additional 62.00 for the 700 min and unlimited text for a total of 289.42...how will shared save me money ??
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otew257 View Post
    I have 5 smart phones on my account 4 are unlimited data and 1 is on a 2gig plan, add insurance on a couple of them and I pay 227.42 for data, Ins and line charges on top of that I pay additional 62.00 for the 700 min and unlimited text for a total of 289.42...how will shared save me money ??
    How much data do you use?

Do you have any discounts on your service?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Does people using more data really cost verizon more to provide?

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast