Shared Data Package

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys and gals....I just saw the pricing for the packages....not sure what to think about that just yet but I just have one main concern. If you go to a family data package and you already have a 4g phone with the 4gigs of data, do you lose that? Lemme know what you think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Right off the article

•1GB shared data - $50
•2GB shared data - $60
•4GB shared data - $70
•6GB shared data - $80
•8GB shared data - $90
•10GB shared data - $100

If you go with individual data for each line, you get to keep the 4GB. If you go the shared route, you're sharing out of those options above. It's either shared, or individual, not both. But don't worry, Verizon is kind enough to use lube before they bend us over. After this contract is up, I'm out.

hehubado

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Plus you tack on an add'l $40/smartphone on your family plan to the pricing structure above...yikes!!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
But don't worry, Verizon is kind enough to use lube before they bend us over. After this contract is up, I'm out.

I'm not understanding comments like this. I understand for heavy data users, and by that I mean mostly data abusers, this will not be welcomed. But, for me and most others with 3+ smart phones on their account it will save them money.

And as far as leaving VZW? I've seen a lot of comments from people say they are done. Most will wait until their contract is up, and by then Sprint will have done away with unlimited. So where will you go when you are done with VZW?

It's not that bad, really. Sit down and look at your bill, and see how much data you actually use and how much you are spending. There's a lot of over reaction every time Verizon does something like this. It's business.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Plus you tack on an add'l $40/smartphone on your family plan to the pricing structure above...yikes!!

The $40.00 is unlimited voice/text. So if you are paying an additional fee for unlimited text on each line, this is probably a good deal for you. Same for the data: if you have a few lines on your family plan, you are paying ~90 a month for data. Look at your bill and see how much you actually use.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
It's not that bad, really. Sit down and look at your bill, and see how much data you actually use and how much you are spending. There's a lot of over reaction every time Verizon does something like this. It's business.

Ok.
*sits down and looks at bill*
Well, it shows here that I pay $25/per month for unlimited data (with corporate discount). My options are to either keep this, or switch to a $30/month data plan for 2GB. Or, share 1GB for $50. Where do the savings kick in again?

hehubado

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The way it sounds to me is if I opt for the 1 gig plan its $50....I have two smartphones on my family share so that's an add'l $80...so i'm paying a total of $130 for 2 smartphones sharing a total of 1 gig

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok.
Well, it shows here that I pay $25/per month for unlimited data (with corporate discount). My options are to either keep this, or switch to a $30/month data plan for 2GB. Or, share 1GB for $50. Where do the savings kick in again?

Right, for some this is not going to work. I get the corporate discount too, and two of my 3 lines are unlimited. So roughly 80 bucks in data. On those lines, I'm paying 10 (or maybe 20) for unlimited text/mms. I'm not a heavy data user, so I'm actually getting ripped off the way it is now.

You get the option of keeping what you have, so it makes sense for you to do so. Don't just look at the data pricing. Remember, it's 40 bucks for unlimited voice and text. You would pay at least 70 for a 700 minute plan, plus text. And throw in the mobile hot spot, which is normally an additional 20 bucks.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok.

Dovahkin.... I don't think it would apply to you...sounds like it's just you on the plan you currently have... Then you are correct...you wouldn't save any money on the shared plan. But in my case it would actually save me $$$. The way it is now...I pay $165 a month for mine and my wifes smartphones with unlimited texting for us and my 2 daughters...who have dumbphones. Under the new shared plans... It would only cost me an additional $10 to $20 a month to get both of my daughters on smartphones. Under the current plans...to have both of my daughters with smartphones/data it would cost me well over $200 a month.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Dovahkin.... I don't think it would apply to you...sounds like it's just you on the plan you currently have... Then you are correct...you wouldn't save any money on the shared plan. But in my case it would actually save me $$$. The way it is now...I pay $165 a month for mine and my wifes smartphones with unlimited texting for us and my 2 daughters...who have dumbphones. Under the new shared plans... It would only cost me an additional $10 to $20 a month to get both of my daughters on smartphones. Under the current plans...to have both of my daughters with smartphones/data it would cost me well over $200 a month.

They're still gonna get you. An additional line on the old structure was $10.
On the new plans, a smartphone is $40. So currently, a $30 2GB plan plus $10 for the additional line is $40. Under the new shared plan, one single smartphone will still cost the same ($40) and still have to share the bucket of data.
Don't kid yourself, this is only an illusion of savings. There are no real savings to be had here.

I'm not understanding comments like this. I understand for heavy data users, and by that I mean mostly data abusers, this will not be welcomed.
Why are we considered data abusers? We bought into a service that was claimed to be unlimited. There was no threat of throttling or disconnecting the service for exceeding a certain amount. That's what was marketed to me, that's what I wanted, so that's what I paid for. The amount of use is beside the fact.

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
They're still gonna get you. An additional line on the old structure was $10.
On the new plans, a smartphone is $40. So currently, a $30 2GB plan plus $10 for the additional line is $40. Under the new shared plan, one single smartphone will still cost the same ($40) and still have to share the bucket of data.
Don't kid yourself, this is only an illusion of savings. There are no real savings to be had here.

Ok, let's try again.

Currently: 700 minutes is 69.99 + 30.00 data + 20.00 unlimited text/mms = 120.00.

Add 10 bucks for another smartphone + 30.00 for data + 20.00 for unlimited text = 60.00. So that $180.00 total.

New plan: 80.00 for two smartphones. That is for unlimited voice and unlimited text and includes mobile hotspot. Add 2 GB of data for 60.00 and that's $140.00.

That's a $40.00 savings. Even jumping to 4GB is a $30.00 savings. Where's the illusion? I didn't even factor in the 20 bucks some spend to the hot spot.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Why are we considered data abusers? We bought into a service that was claimed to be unlimited. There was no threat of throttling or disconnecting the service for exceeding a certain amount. That's what was marketed to me, that's what I wanted, so that's what I paid for. The amount of use is beside the fact.

I agree with you there. When they came out with unlimited data, it was before services like NetFlix and other streaming services. So I don't think there was much of a concern. That being said, you are at least allowed to keep the unlimited data; they are not forcing you to switch.

If all else fail, blame it on the iPhone to taking away unlimited data! :)

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they allow for more than 10gb shared. As it is now, I pay $280 a month for 4 lines(3 smartphones & 1 dumb), 1400 min, unlimited data and messaging on 3 of the lines.. I use alot of data, but I am on a grandfathered unlimited, and obviously 4g.. I could lessen my usage fairly easily. It doesn't look so bad really. Problem however is, 2 of the 3 smartphones on my acct aren't 4g yet, and not due for upgrades on either till next summer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, let's try again.

Currently: 700 minutes is 69.99 + 30.00 data + 20.00 unlimited text/mms = 120.00.

Add 10 bucks for another smartphone + 30.00 for data + 20.00 for unlimited text = 60.00. So that $180.00 total.

New plan: 80.00 for two smartphones. That is for unlimited voice and unlimited text and includes mobile hotspot. Add 2 GB of data for 60.00 and that's $140.00.

That's a $40.00 savings. Even jumping to 4GB is a $30.00 savings. Where's the illusion? I didn't even factor in the 20 bucks some spend to the hot spot.

Unlimited text is actually $30, so that reduces your savings to $30. But strangely, $30 is the price for 2GB. You're now paying $60 for sharing 2GB.
Under the normal plan, $60 is enough for 4Gb for 2 lines. There is no savings. I repeat. No savings. You get only an illusion. Is 2GB enough for you two? Maybe. But 2GB =/= 4GB
It's like saying you're gonna save on dinner because you and your girlfriend will split a sandwich, instead of each ordering an entire sandwich.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
just looked at last months bill. i have 4 lines, 3 are smart phones. together we used 13.23 gigs of data, i dont think there is even a plan for that.... ill stick with my unlimited thank you.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited text is actually $30, so that reduces your savings to $30. But strangely, $30 is the price for 2GB. You're now paying $60 for sharing 2GB.
Under the normal plan, $60 is enough for 4Gb for 2 lines. There is no savings. I repeat. No savings. You get only an illusion. Is 2GB enough for you two? Maybe. But 2GB =/= 4GB
It's like saying you're gonna save on dinner because you and your girlfriend will split a sandwich, instead of each ordering an entire sandwich.

If you say unlimited text is 30 and not 20, that's 10 extra per line, or 20 bucks. So I'm saving even more on the new plan, not less. You see what I'm saying? I'll break it down again:

CURRENT
=========
Smartphone 1:
$70.00 for 700 minutes
$30.00 - Data
$30.00 - Unlimited Text
----------
$130.00

Smartphone 2:
$10.00 - Add a line fee
$30.00 - Data
$30.00 - Unlimited Text
---------
$70.00

Total: $200.00

NEW PLAN
=========
Smartphone 1:
$40.00 - Unlimited voice and text

Smartphone 2:

Shared Data:
$70.00 - 4GB

Mobile Hotspot:
Free

Total: $150.00

That's saving 50 bucks a month. I currently don't even use close to 4GB a month on my lines. I could save even more by going to a 2GB plan.

It's not an illusion, so smoke and mirrors. These are factual numbers. I'm not sure I understand where you aren't seeing the savings in this scenario.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If you say unlimited text is 30 and not 20, that's 10 extra per line, or 20 bucks. So I'm saving even more on the new plan, not less. You see what I'm saying? I'll break it down again:

CURRENT
=========
Smartphone 1:
$70.00 for 700 minutes
$30.00 - Data
$30.00 - Unlimited Text
----------
$130.00

Smartphone 2:
$10.00 - Add a line fee
$30.00 - Data
$30.00 - Unlimited Text
---------
$70.00

Total: $200.00

NEW PLAN
=========
Smartphone 1:

Smartphone 2:

Shared Data:
$70.00 - 4GB

Mobile Hotspot:
Free

Total: $150.00

That's saving 50 bucks a month. I currently don't even use close to 4GB a month on my lines. I could save even more by going to a 2GB plan.

It's not an illusion, so smoke and mirrors. These are factual numbers. I'm not sure I understand where you aren't seeing the savings in this scenario.

I had a math fail I came to correct, but I had to comment on your commitment to typing up a small graph. Not bad. The unlimited text only applies once though, it's unlimited for the entire family on one fee, not for each phone. You're "saving" $20, but paying an extra $10 for a mobile hotpot inclusion. If $10 is worth losing unlimited, then that's fine I guess.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
just looked at last months bill. i have 4 lines, 3 are smart phones. together we used 13.23 gigs of data, i dont think there is even a plan for that.... ill stick with my unlimited thank you.

Not to get personal, but what is using most of the data? I know my son likes to stream form NetFlix and that uses a lot. But that's only when he is away form home and not near wf-fi.

I'll stick with unlimited too, even though I could save by switching. 2 of my 3 lines are unlimited, and I'll purchase phones at full price in the future just to keep it that way.