Shared Data Package

rutter207

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I decided to have some fun at Verizon's expense. I have unlimited data on my phone, but only use about 1 GB due to using wireless at home and work. Thankfully, I just upgraded to Razr Maxx and my wife had just upgraded her dumb phone, so I will not need to worry about changing plans for 2 years.

We also have the 700 family share plan, and use no more than 500 minutes any month. When they announced the family data plan a few months ago, I figured it would benefit me a little, but they surprised me by only offering unlimited talk and text with it, in order to keep the prices up.

SO, I have turned wireless off. I will now run all of my data through 4G/3G rather than wireless. And to top it off, I also decided to stream the U.S. Open through the App yesterday, and my usage went from 700mb with 6 days left in my cycle, to 2.1GB today before starting to stream the app again.

I have always overpaid for my wireless service, because I wanted the service. I thankfully will continue to have the same service (with unlimited for almost 2 more years), but I will now make it cost Verizon Wireless more for me being a customer by using more of their data.....I will try hard each month to push as much data through my phone each and every month.

You sure showed them......................

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I decided to have some fun at Verizon's expense. I have unlimited data on my phone, but only use about 1 GB due to using wireless at home and work. Thankfully, I just upgraded to Razr Maxx and my wife had just upgraded her dumb phone, so I will not need to worry about changing plans for 2 years.

We also have the 700 family share plan, and use no more than 500 minutes any month. When they announced the family data plan a few months ago, I figured it would benefit me a little, but they surprised me by only offering unlimited talk and text with it, in order to keep the prices up.

SO, I have turned wireless off. I will now run all of my data through 4G/3G rather than wireless. And to top it off, I also decided to stream the U.S. Open through the App yesterday, and my usage went from 700mb with 6 days left in my cycle, to 2.1GB today before starting to stream the app again.

I have always overpaid for my wireless service, because I wanted the service. I thankfully will continue to have the same service (with unlimited for almost 2 more years), but I will now make it cost Verizon Wireless more for me being a customer by using more of their data.....I will try hard each month to push as much data through my phone each and every month.

HlVBa.jpg

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Data/ Voice Hog!

VZW used the eminent demise of unlimited plans to push sales of the TB on their new 4G network.

Now they are using the threat of losing subsidized upgrades to push sales of the new S3.

They load our phones with data hungry bloatware, promote Cloud storage, all the while marketing the
bandwidth they save by pushing us out of unlimited data to other markets.

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/Medium/products/wireless/mobile_broadband/

I am a data/voice hog, using 27 GB and 3300 minutes with two phones on a family plan for about $308.

I normally only tether for email from corporate domain, but use the phone as a lifeline with family and friends and watching DroidTV. I'm on the road 7 to 8 weeks at a time and use the phone for entertainment and communication.

Isn't this the way VZW advertised their products?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You really stuck it to them didn't you?? I'm sure because of your carefully thought out plan, they will have to throttle data for everyone and come up with even more new data plans just to recover from all the data you are using. Not to mention the money they are losing because of it.

Bottom line is all you are doing is using more battery on your phone to stream over the radio instead of wi-fi. You are still paying the same amount of money each month regardless.

While you are at it, why not make prank phone calls to use up all of your 700 minutes? Same premise right??

yes, still paying the same. Only using more of their data, instead of my home data, or work data. I figure if everyone else is a data hog, why not become one too, right...

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
yes, still paying the same. Only using more of their data, instead of my home data, or work data. I figure if everyone else is a data hog, why not become one too, right...

He has a point there...if you have unlimited 4g and a capped home plan, it would be economically foolish to choose wifi. Of course factoring in added power consumption (higher battery drain = earlier/more prolonged recharges) and the fact that many don't have much trouble staying under current home caps makes the point fairly irrelevant.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
VZW used the eminent demise of unlimited plans to push sales of the TB on their new 4G network.

Now they are using the threat of losing subsidized upgrades to push sales of the new S3.

They load our phones with data hungry bloatware, promote Cloud storage, all the while marketing the
bandwidth they save by pushing us out of unlimited data to other markets.

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/Medium/products/wireless/mobile_broadband/

I am a data/voice hog, using 27 GB and 3300 minutes with two phones on a family plan for about $308.

I normally only tether for email from corporate domain, but use the phone as a lifeline with family and friends and watching DroidTV. I'm on the road 7 to 8 weeks at a time and use the phone for entertainment and communication.

Isn't this the way VZW advertised their products?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So you're the guy we should be blaming for all this. :)

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll gladly pay full retail for a device if it means I keep unlimited data. I would never pay the going rate for 1 GB each month and have to worry about going over. The moment Verizon decides to force me off of unlimited data is the moment I drop down to a dumb phone. Mobile data is nice, but in no way will I pay that much for a gig of data. I thought the 2GB/4GB prices were ridiculous. This is getting out of hand already.

I agree with this as of right now. However, being locked in for 2 years (unless they change something else), who knows what my thoughts will be then.

otew257

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 smart phones on my account 4 are unlimited data and 1 is on a 2gig plan, add insurance on a couple of them and I pay 227.42 for data, Ins and line charges on top of that I pay additional 62.00 for the 700 min and unlimited text for a total of 289.42...how will shared save me money ??

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have 5 smart phones on my account 4 are unlimited data and 1 is on a 2gig plan, add insurance on a couple of them and I pay 227.42 for data, Ins and line charges on top of that I pay additional 62.00 for the 700 min and unlimited text for a total of 289.42...how will shared save me money ??

How much data do you use?

Do you have any discounts on your service?

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not understanding comments like this. I understand for heavy data users, and by that I mean mostly data abusers, this will not be welcomed. But, for me and most others with 3+ smart phones on their account it will save them money.

And as far as leaving VZW? I've seen a lot of comments from people say they are done. Most will wait until their contract is up, and by then Sprint will have done away with unlimited. So where will you go when you are done with VZW?

It's not that bad, really. Sit down and look at your bill, and see how much data you actually use and how much you are spending. There's a lot of over reaction every time Verizon does something like this. It's business.

Owns stock in vzw . Lol I'm not a data abuser but really ? They give us less we pay more and they expect the majority to think like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does people using more data really cost verizon more to provide?

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

Yes. Towers can only support so many users and so much bandwidth. More users using more data means that they need more towers, which are expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Towers can only support so many users and so much bandwidth. More users using more data means that they need more towers, which are expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

But Verizon is making so much money! They should make their plans cheap and give everyone free phones! lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums