Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jcarlosfox
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    What does this button d

Default Rooting Razr MAXX After ICS Download

Is there a method in place for rooting the Razr MAXX after the OTA update happens in the next few days? I looked at the forums and didn't see anything about it. Discuss, and Thanks!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: Rooting Razr MAXX After ICS Download

Download the RootKeeper app. Otherwise, you will probably need to flash an updated superuser zip.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    What does this button d

I have Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper installed. Do I simply run the unroot option and then re-run it after the update? That seems too simple, but after all it is the reason for the app.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

A ton of posta on the private soak forum about root causing install issues.... FYI

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    What does this button d

I've defrosted all the apps I froze with Titanium, and am waiting for the update to show up.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieL3 View Post
    I have Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper installed. Do I simply run the unroot option and then re-run it after the update? That seems too simple, but after all it is the reason for the app.
    I believe so; I'd double check, I've never had to use it personally but I know many that swear by it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

That's y you need to b 100% stock to update. You should b able to use voodoo unless somethings changed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

In order to BOTH preserve root AND successfully update, you need to:

1) UNFREEZE anything you have frozen with Titanium. NOTE: Post Update your Titanium will NOT show what was recently "Unfrozen" - so if you have a special list if apps you want to freeze and you want to keep them frozen in the future, make a list or take a screen shot.

2) If you are using a firewall to block access to certain programs - disable it. (I don't know if this is necessary, but if you want a "stock" system, this is likely something you should do.)

3) Use Voodoo to BOTH save a copy of your root, and to temporarily unroot your phone.

4) Download and update your phone OTA.

After you update, just run Voodoo, and you will be unrooted. No problems and no issues.

All of the above assumes you have an otherwise STOCK system that you simply rooted. If you have something else - smarter people than I will have to tell you.
    Thanked by 2:
    bradenfontaine and dmmarck like this.

I had no problem retaining root using Voodo after the ICS update
    Droid MAXX Rooted on 4.4
    Thanked by 2:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    What does this button d

I just unrooted my Maxx using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. When I re-ran Voodoo, there is no way to re-root the phone. I haven't received the OTA update yet, but I thought I'd test it out to see how it would work.

Can someone help me out here? I also tried to download another copy of Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, but it doesn't show up in the Google Play store any more.

Thanks again for all your help.

ROM
    Arctic HD

If I'm not mistaken you have to backup your root with voodoo then when you go to get it back it uses that backup to restore it

Is there a method in place for rooting the Razr MAXX after the OTA update happens in the next few days? I looked at the forums and didn't see anything about it. Discuss, and Thanks!
    Check this out. A really simple method.

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    What does this button d

I received the OTA update this morning. It still hasn't installed. It downloads, then goes about a quarter of the way through the install, then I get a triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the update fails.

I've done a factory reset, and I didn't add anything to the phone after it restarted. The Superuser app is still installed on the phone, even though I did a complete data reset. Is there a way to get that app off the phone? I think that's what's causing the installation error. The phone is completely stock, except for the root I did with the Motofail exploit.

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

ROM
    Arctic HD

I received the OTA update this morning. It still hasn't installed. It downloads, then goes about a quarter of the way through the install, then I get a triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the update fails.

I've done a factory reset, and I didn't add anything to the phone after it restarted. The Superuser app is still installed on the phone, even though I did a complete data reset. Is there a way to get that app off the phone? I think that's what's causing the installation error. The phone is completely stock, except for the root I did with the Motofail exploit.

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    You have to flash completely stock. A factory reset doesn't remove root. Never has never will. Been said a million times

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS