Signal/Radio Quality on ICS for MAXX

cerktman

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone who has the release version of ICS for the MAXX seen a poorer signal quality with the radios supplied with ICS?

I'm generally seeing approximately -20dBm lower for LTE. With 2.3.6 GB, I would see a reading of about -73 to -90dBm.

Now with ICS, I am seeing around -96dBm to -110dBm in the exact same locations (work/home) that I use the phone.

Even the WiFi radio seems weaker.

This is same type of issues that the GNex has.

I'm guessing that more testing is needed before I come to the conclusion that ICS has a crappy radio stack in the software.

I'm thinking of rolling back to GB using DroidRazrUtility 1.7, but I wanted some other opinions before I do so.

thybrutalthrone

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone who has the release version of ICS for the MAXX seen a poorer signal quality with the radios supplied with ICS?

I'm generally seeing approximately -20dBm lower for LTE. With 2.3.6 GB, I would see a reading of about -73 to -90dBm.

Now with ICS, I am seeing around -96dBm to -110dBm in the exact same locations (work/home) that I use the phone.

Even the WiFi radio seems weaker.

This is same type of issues that the GNex has.

I'm guessing that more testing is needed before I come to the conclusion that ICS has a crappy radio stack in the software.

I'm thinking of rolling back to GB using DroidRazrUtility 1.7, but I wanted some other opinions before I do so.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmmm. It may be just you. My signal strength and transition rom 3g to 4g has been much better. I can't give you dBm's, but I can definitely say that my signals have never been better including wifi.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Gnex. The reason he Gnex appears to have worse signal strength is that it's the only phone that displays LTE strength. Other phones display CDMA signal, even though they are on LTE. Perhaps now the RAZR line is displaying true signal when on LTE? If that's the case, don't worry about what the numbers say. If the phone works correctly,you're good to go.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Gnex. The reason he Gnex appears to have worse signal strength is that it's the only phone that displays LTE strength. Other phones display CDMA signal, even though they are on LTE. Perhaps now the RAZR line is displaying true signal when on LTE? If that's the case, don't worry about what the numbers say. If the phone works correctly,you're good to go.

This is correct. I expect to see more of these types of threads soon...lol.

On 1x, 3G and 4G it showed 3 different decibel and bar readings on ICS all in the exact same spot. And 4G had the worse readings. As always...real world use is all that matters. Going from GB to ICS....the readings changed, but my 4G didnt get worse.

And....whatever the decibel and bar reading was in Settings, About Phone....thats what showed up in the notification area. So yea I will say it shows a truer 4G reading now.

If anything....the RAZR on ICS is on the same playing field as the G Nex as far as decibel and bar readings. Which could now help ppl get a clearer idea if they compare phones and one has issues. Some pics I posted for another site. Notice how the pics in About Phone area has 3 different readings. Thats all in the exact same location.

RAZR ICS Android Signal info pictures by jroc7474 - Photobucket

Last edited:

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the DBM readings are not has strong as they were on 2.3.6. One odd thing under System Settings, About Phone, Status and Network Type and Strength, I notice it shows 1x at -85dBm and 3G and -67dBM. I wonder why the two signals show such a big difference when both 3G and 1x signals are coming off the same tower.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually think my connection is better with ICS I have not seen the data drop at all. I have noticed the DBM readings are not has strong, but the phone seems more solid as far as performance goes.

BuMMeR-X

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Finally testing out 3G/4G today, WIFI was great at home all weekend since i got ICS loaded. But today is the true test, in my office at work I hardle can ever even get 3G and never 4G (super thick reenforced cement walls with one small window), today still not getting 4G but have had 3G all day with no problem. When I head outside for a break the last few weeks only had 3G/4G in white and never blue and would even completly loose all signal. Today 4G is running like a champ outside and staying blue the entire time, have never even seen a 3G signal today when I'm outside.

So i'm really happy with the signal so far, going to be keeping a close eye on it the next week or so.

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I will say that when I had a GNexus I wasn't getting 4G in my home but with my Maxx I'm getting 4G throughout the house. My wife and I both had GNexus phones and we would lose all connection in the basement. With the Maxx no problems anywhere. I read the whole article about the signal strength and I understand but the Maxx works better for us.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it's worse but I heard it's based on my LTE signal now rather than all of the other signals. I have not experienced any signal strength related issues so no big deal.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

cerktman

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I just find it odd that even when forcing CDMA (auto prl), that the indicated signal strength is lower than it was with GB. With GB, I was able to see -67dBm to -85dBm and now with ICS, I see -75dBm to -95dBm. Not a huge difference, but what really is the correct signal strength.

Does this mean that in GB, the signal was really not as strong? It was being reported as higher than it actually was?

If so, why change the perception of what is signal is being provided in ICS to the user?. Not all RAZR users are techie geeks like us.

I'm not complaining about this, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for this change. If the voice & data work as intended, then so be it. The general public may not understand it as much.

Fbrn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed it being worse and I don't live in a 4G area so I know that is not the problem. I actually had to upgrade early because when my Gnex went from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 I started dropping calls and had no signal pretty often. With I got the Maxx my signal was awesome and I have not dropped a call yet. But the ICS update has definitely hurt my signal strength. Even with lower signal on the Maxx it is not dropping calls or giving me any problems. And I love me some ice cream sandwich. :)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just find it odd that even when forcing CDMA (auto prl), that the indicated signal strength is lower than it was with GB. With GB, I was able to see -67dBm to -85dBm and now with ICS, I see -75dBm to -95dBm. Not a huge difference, but what really is the correct signal strength.

Does this mean that in GB, the signal was really not as strong? It was being reported as higher than it actually was?

If so, why change the perception of what is signal is being provided in ICS to the user?. Not all RAZR users are techie geeks like us.

I'm not complaining about this, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for this change. If the voice & data work as intended, then so be it. The general public may not understand it as much.

I dont understand why they are. IMO....since its a phone I would think the phone signal would take priority over data. Maybe once VoLTE comes out we need to know accurate data readings. Dont really know.

In GB..it just means 4G reception wasnt being as accurate or wasnt given priority. I cant remember now....but I'm thinking on GB it was showing the 1x readings. When I got ICS on my RAZR...in the About Phone area...1x had -78, 3G had -85. On my RAZR before ICS and Droid X1....I averaged those numbers where I used to live. But I cant remember which one was the main one.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Actually, my signal has gotten better, I was always dropping data and since the upgrade it hasn’t happened and even my wifi has gotten a lot better.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Like some of these posts mentioned....their reception hasnt gotten worse or it has gotten better.

As always real world use is all that matters. I know perception is reality n all...but just try to go by real world use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome