Swap SIM card between devices?

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Since the announcement of ICS for the Razr MAXX, and the added feature of GSM global roaming, I've decided to jump ship. My Maxx will arrive at work tomorrow sometime. Oh ya, I almost forgot, I'm also locked into unlimited data now!!!...or until I upgrade again.

My question is: Can I really swap my LTE sim card between my G-Nexus and Razr MAX? Or does this not work like GSM phones?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think It depends how Verizon did your order, but when I swapped from the Nexus to the Maxx i kept the same SIM card.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
They told me I would have to use the NEW sim card to activate the Razr.

My questions is after that, can I swap the SIM card between my two phones just like people on GSM networks can? I would like to use my G-Nexus from time to time and my Razr Maxx others....

Midwestuser1

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The only time you'll need a new SIM card is if the new device is the smaller SIM card form factor. If the Nexus and Razr take the same size SIM card then you can swap them for certain.

Reactions: Ry and p08757

PDX_Unplugged#CB

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been doing this very thing for a couple months (going back and forth between Razr MAXX and Nexus, that is). Simply swap the SIM card from device to device and you are good to go.

That said, I had to take a 3G phone on a trip to Europe last month and after activating my number in a 3G phone my SIM card had to be replaced. Verizon informed me that any time my number gets associated FROM LTE to 3G I'll need a replacement SIM on the return to LTE...

Fun stuff!
-PDX

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the GNex & traded it for the Maxx.. But I had the thunderbolt. The SIM card for the T bolt is to big for the GNex &Maxx. There are 2 different size Sims.. That being said, the GNex & the Maxx both have the new small Sim so yes you can switch them between phones

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
It works as described. This is very cool, now I can take either phone out depending on which one I want to use.

Now I just need my ICS update. I was hoping it would ship with ICS installed......but I was wrong. :'(

gsm1717

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in knowing more about how this works. Will the SIM swap work between a handset and a tablet? Do your text messages transfer with the SIM from device to device? I do a lot of traveling receive a lot of texts. If I received a text on one device, would I be able to see it and reply to it on the second device? How about voicemails? If i receive a voicemail on the 1st device, can I access it on the second device?

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes. And any other Verizon phone that has the same size sim card. The Thunderbolt has the old bigger sim.

Sent by Accident

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in knowing more about how this works. Will the SIM swap work between a handset and a tablet? Do your text messages transfer with the SIM from device to device? I do a lot of traveling receive a lot of texts. If I received a text on one device, would I be able to see it and reply to it on the second device? How about voicemails? If i receive a voicemail on the 1st device, can I access it on the second device?

You can swap between phone and tablet. Sms will only show on the device received. Voice mail can be checked from any voice capable phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II