Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen

I found out if you disable the stock text message application and have a secondary text messaging app like GOSMS installed ICS will put it in its place.
    See screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen-screenshot_2012-06-26-08-35-54.jpg  
    Live, Laugh and Love Everyday.
    Thanked by 4:
    Dukins likes this.

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Default Re: Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen

That is awesome. This maybe a way to change all the icons with 3rd party apps. You may want to edit your post with detailed instructions im sure this is going to be gold mind information.

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

I haven't found a way o replace all the native apps on the lock screen besides the text, I am hoping someone will figure it out.

How do you disable the stock messaging app?
    Thanked by:

Just a guess but settings > apps > all > text messaging > disable

Still would like a way to put other apps in without rooting though

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX with ICS using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by apquijano; 06-26-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by apquijano View Post
    Just a guess but settings > apps > all > text messaging > disable

Still would like a way to put other apps in without rooting thigh

Yep - that worked. Handcent took the place of the stock Text app on lock screen. Thanks.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That is exactly what i did to figure it out.

Thanks Apquijano.

And does this only work on ICS or does it work on Gingerbread too? Is this a new ICS feature?

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    And does this only work on ICS or does it work on Gingerbread too? Is this a new ICS feature?
    As far as I know, this is only available through ICS, seeing as that this particular lock screen is a feature only on ICS.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen-uploadfromtaptalk1340742166275.jpg  

Right, I didn't so much mean JUST for the lockscreen though. I mean in general. Cause I use GO SMS and sometimes I get a notification from them AND the stock messaging app. so it would be cool to know if on Gingerbread, I could disable it and have it stop doing that.

Ah, I see. It's worth trying. I would try it out for you, but I'm already on ICS. I can't imagine it being any different, though. Disabling the Text Messaging app should stop the notifications, and if it used to ask which of the two to use by default, it should just automatically go to GO SMS as well.

By the time I get it all figured out, ICS will probably download. Not that i'd complain...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

In gingerbread you have to go into the stock text messaging application and hit the menu button and find the settings and turn off the notifications to stop being notified by it too.
    Thanked by:

I have used Go SMS Pro for the last couple years... great app... but I uninstalled it prior to ICS just to see what Google did with the stock text messaging app... I'm very happy with the stock and will not load Go SMS Pro, at least for a while.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    apquijano likes this.

What did you like about it specifically? Cause I WANT to like stock applications/features simply to cut down on what I have downloaded. Thanks in advance.

What did you like about it specifically? Cause I WANT to like stock applications/features simply to cut down on what I have downloaded. Thanks in advance.
    It's much easier to read... here is a screenshot I took after removing the number.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disable Stock Text app to get GOSMS On lock screen-screenshot_2012-06-26-16-58-50.jpg  
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper

I love that new style text app. Cant wait.

That looks awesome! Very clean and classy. Maybe I will give it a solid shot too. Do you use Swype at all on ICS? If so, how accurate and efficient is that?

That looks awesome! Very clean and classy. Maybe I will give it a solid shot too. Do you use Swype at all on ICS? If so, how accurate and efficient is that?
    Personally, I only use Swype since I got my Maxx... never had any issues with it... it's always been very accurate and efficient.
    Flames Wallpaper

ROM
    IHO CM7.2

I only tried swype briefly and didn't like it. Had gone with Go Keyboard for a while but am a new convert to SwiftKey 3. It predicts and corrects as if it was reading my mind!!!

Hey Everyone,
    I am new to this site and I have a Droid Razr. When it gets ICS I would love to use the +textPlus app instead of the native Verizon Texting App in the lock screen... and I was wondering, if this is possible, and can you provide specific instructions on how to do this? Oh, and do you have to be Rooted to do this? Sorry if I am repeating the same questions. I don’t have ICS yet, so I don’t know how to do this. I just want to be ready for when ICS arrives to my device. Thanks,
    DROIDRAZRGUY
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Read the messages above and it tells you exactly.

Sorry, I just did now. But do you need to be rooted to change the texting app on the lock screen? Thanks,
    DROIDRAZRGUY

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I have used Go SMS Pro for the last couple years... great app... but I uninstalled it prior to ICS just to see what Google did with the stock text messaging app... I'm very happy with the stock and will not load Go SMS Pro, at least for a while.
    I use Go SMS so that I can set customized text tones for certain contacts, and set Twitter SMS text updates to silent. Will I be able to do this with the stock SMS app?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

No. You do not have to be rooted. And CDF3 no you will not be able to do that with the stock sms.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast