Flash Video issue

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Somewhat cross posting from the Razr forum but the problem is also slightly different.

Since ICS (last night) I can no longer Control flash video on the web (sites like blip.tv). In Chrome and Stock, the video plays fine but I can't full screen it nor can I access the video controls (pause, stop, position)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled flash player 11 and same issue.

I know Chrome uses HTML 5 but it's still playing, i just have no control over it in either browser.

I'm reluctant to try another browser but I will of needed. But, short of that, any ideas?
Turns out it's no longer playing in Chrome. But stock is fine, I just can't maximize or control.

Just tried Dolphin, Opera Mini, and Skyfire and while I had some access to controls the video was choppy and the browers crashed

Last edited:

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Opera mini does not support flash. Opera mobile does but I don't use it. Skyfire is way to go. I reinstalled flash 11.1 last night too but haven't tried controls.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Skyfire doesn't work at all. Maybe I'm not explaining my issue correctly.

On the web, when you go to you tube, the video has controls at the bottom (play/pause, volume, and the status bar showing where you are in the clip) and when you full screen it, they're still there. On GB when you went to a flash video and hit play, the video would automatically full screen with the status bar on the bottom (status bar being the time counter showing how much you've played, what is left and your position.)

On ICS now when you play a video it simply plays on the page with no access to the controls or the ability to full screen the clip.

With YouTube i obviously have an app but with web content (news, and blip.tv) it not possible as far as i can tell.

Sometimes i wanna pause and fast forward or rewind and that ability is now gone.

Make more sense now?

Blip.tv is the big one for me, I watch a lot on there. But when I go there now on my phone, Chrome won't play at all and the stock brower shows the little cinema logo. When I click the logo, the video plays fine but small and still embedded in the web page. I can't pause or stop without leaving the page, I can't fast forward or rewind and I have have no time counter to know my video position. It's EXTREMELY frustrating. And double-tapping does nothing. On Gingerbread this was simply automatic. You hit play and it goes fullscreen, you have the video position bar at the bottom (slider that let's you ff or rewind) and a ply/pause button. They would disappear after while and come back with a tap.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash 5 times, and now used every browser I can think of.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Flash is no longer supported in ICS on the razr because as of now flash is not supported on android any longer so flash is going to be a bad experience on the razr. There was a changelog posted earlier on the motorola site that said Flash was no longer supported after the update that I can no longer find or I would link it for you.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Skyfire doesn't work at all. Maybe I'm not explaining my issue correctly.

On the web, when you go to you tube, the video has controls at the bottom (play/pause, volume, and the status bar showing where you are in the clip) and when you full screen it, they're still there. On GB when you went to a flash video and hit play, the video would automatically full screen with the status bar on the bottom (status bar being the time counter showing how much you've played, what is left and your position.)

On ICS now when you play a video it simply plays on the page with no access to the controls or the ability to full screen the clip.

With YouTube i obviously have an app but with web content (news, and blip.tv) it not possible as far as i can tell.

Sometimes i wanna pause and fast forward or rewind and that ability is now gone.

Make more sense now?

Blip.tv is the big one for me, I watch a lot on there. But when I go there now on my phone, Chrome won't play at all and the stock brower shows the little cinema logo. When I click the logo, the video plays fine but small and still embedded in the web page. I can't pause or stop without leaving the page, I can't fast forward or rewind and I have have no time counter to know my video position. It's EXTREMELY frustrating. And double-tapping does nothing. On Gingerbread this was simply automatic. You hit play and it goes fullscreen, you have the video position bar at the bottom (slider that let's you ff or rewind) and a ply/pause button. They would disappear after while and come back with a tap.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash 5 times, and now used every browser I can think of.

Try uninstalling chrome, then go into settings, apps, all apps, find browser and delete data.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Flash is no longer supported in ICS on the razr because as of now flash is not supported on android any longer so flash is going to be a bad experience on the razr. There was a changelog posted earlier on the motorola site that said Flash was no longer supported after the update that I can no longer find or I would link it for you.

That's not true at all. Flash is supported on the RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I read the official change log that said flash was no longer officially supported in this update on the razr. It said it would be able to be installed and might work fine for some and give others issues but it was not officially supported by motorola to work and that it would use html 5. i am not really allowed to discuss where I read it but I think you can guess. Here is a link to show it is no longer supported on 4.0.4 ICS: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...times%2Fcertified-devices.html&token=t4d2P5ed This was just posted on the motorola forums. Choose motorola and scroll down to the razr/razr maxx and you will see that it is not supported after gingerbread. This is directly copied from motorola " Due to Adobe’s discontinuation of Flash development, Flash Player is no longer preloaded and is not available for download from Google Play to this device. Existing installations of Flash Player may or may not play Flash video properly. Alternatively, the new HTML5 standard is supported for Web video."

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

what is u talking about :confused: can I get a link or something because I have flash and can control it just fine the play store still sells it to btw

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I added proof. I could install it as well it is just not certified any longer meaning there is a good chance it will work but also a good chance small issues will crop up and so they are saying not to use it but it did not work well for me either so I uninstalled it. Also the razr is the only ICS device so far not to be certified for flash so any other ics device is fine. Jelly bean is officially not going to have it but the ICS update on the razr was not certified.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I read the official change log that said flash was no longer officially supported in this update on the razr. It said it would be able to be installed and might work fine for some and give others issues but it was not officially supported by motorola to work and that it would use html 5. i am not really allowed to discuss where I read it but I think you can guess. Here is a link to show it is no longer supported on 4.0.4 ICS: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...times%2Fcertified-devices.html&token=WsrZeJGg This was just posted on the motorola forums. Choose motorola and scroll down to the razr/razr maxx and you will see that it is not supported after gingerbread. This is directly copied from motorola " Due to Adobe?s discontinuation of Flash development, Flash Player is no longer preloaded and is not available for download from Google Play to this device. Existing installations of Flash Player may or may not play Flash video properly. Alternatively, the new HTML5 standard is supported for Web video."

Uhh hate to break it to you, but that list is neither complete nor accurate. It is missing several high profile devices from the list (galaxy nexus).

In fact, considering that the ICS update was just released to the public last week, the explanation likely boils down to it not being updated.

There is no documentation anywhere by Motorola that says that the RAZR and Maxx are no longer certified for flash.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Uhh hate to break it to you, but that list is neither complete nor accurate. It is missing several high profile devices from the list (galaxy nexus).

In fact, considering that the ICS update was just released to the public last week, the explanation likely boils down to it not being updated.

There is no documentation anywhere by Motorola that says that the RAZR and Maxx are no longer certified for flash.

I just gave you a quote from motorola. They have a document of changes which I copy and pasted so I hate to break it to you that it is not officially supported by motorola, but I did not come here to troll or start an internet fight. I am simply sharing what I read and providing proof of that so if that is not what people wanted to hear then I am sorry but it is the truth.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I just gave you a quote from motorola. They have a document of changes which I copy and pasted so I hate to break it to you that it is not officially supported by motorola, but I did not come here to troll or start an internet fight. I am simply sharing what I read and providing proof of that so if that is not what people wanted to hear then I am sorry but it is the truth.

A photo doesn't prove much. Give us a link to a published changelog for the update. Please also note that nowhere on Verizon's changelog (ya know, the one that matters) do they reference any discontinuation of flash support. Have you looked at that list, btw? There are quite a few headline android devices missing. The One series isn't there, and neither are any of the Nexii. Glancing over the list for Motorola, they also aeebt showing the ICS upgrade for the Xoom. It isn't complete, and isn't accurate.

Oh, and the fact that I could go into the play store and install flash, which the photo you posted says I would not be able to do, seems to indicate that your document is badly out of date.
a6f98397-4943-c833.jpg

Also, please read adobe's disclaimer in the play store. If the RAZR duo was not certified for flash, users with those phones wouldn't be able to download it at all.

a6f98397-501e-ed0a.jpg

Last edited:

Moykong

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Im bummed about the lack of flash support as well... seems a bit premature since not a whole lot of sites are using html5 yet. :mad:

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Well since the videos I'm talking about PLAY AS INTENDED, pretty sure it's supported. I just can't full screen it or control it. I even currently have flash player UNINSTALLED and it still plays no problem . Just not full screened/controllable. This only appears to be happening on embedded web videos. (Blip.tv specifically)

I shouldn't have to tether my Nook Tablet just to be able to PAUSE A VIDEO. Sort of ruins the portability and convenience of watching tv on my lunch break.

I uninstalled Chrome as suggested, and cleared data. Same issue. Browser runs WAY faster but still no full screen/no controls.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
First of all if people would read it says " Existing installations of Flash Player may or may not play Flash video properly." Meaning everyone who already had it before the update will be able to use and update it. Those who never had before and buy this phone new after this update will not be able to download the update. Also the picture is of a document that came out the day of testing the software so it is not out of date. Seeing as Verizon said the update started on the 22nd,which was only for the soak members, I am not going to trust their documents over the maker of the phone. Like I said that is an official changelog photo released on the 22nd so believe what you want. I know what the maker of the phone is telling me and honestly that's all that matters. Also the original link I posted to adobe was someone else on the motorola forum trying to tell people the same and that's what they showed so yes I agree that was a bad site to look at but that's all I could show people not involved in testing.

Last edited:

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If this is not proof the document is legit and new then I do not know what is. Also as you in the above screenshots says it might result in unexpected behavior. it does not say un-certified devices are instantly banned and will never work again. I was only doing to answer the OP about having strange "unexpected" behavior. Like I said I have given beyond ample proof of this so for those not getting it I am hoping you make it through the jelly bean update when flash is really banned.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If this is not proof the document is legit and new then I do not know what is. Also as you in the above screenshots says it might result in unexpected behavior. it does not say un-certified devices are instantly banned and will never work again. I was only doing to answer the OP about having strange "unexpected" behavior. Like I said I have given beyond ample proof of this so for those not getting it I am hoping you make it through the jelly bean update when flash is really banned.

Well you definitely don't need to prove your case anymore. Its in black and white. What seems weird is that the Razr will not have the ability to download flash player from the market but we still can.? I factory reset before and after the update and still able to download flash player, and haven't noticed any issues. Granted some sites may support both html5 and flash so I may not notice the differences.

Last edited:

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes and I'm sorry for turning it into a fight. I honestly just wanted to shed light on it to help the op. I don't understand either why we can download it although I think its because its already on our Google account so maybe if you have never had it before it would stop you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles