Where's my news widget?

rodeezie

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm a bit of a news junkie myself and miss my news widget as well. I downloaded Flip board from the Play store. Its good but quite thirsty for battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I really miss the News and Weather widget I had on my Droid X. I loved the fact that you could view the news on a 1 x 4 widget and then open the widget if you found a story you wanted to read in more detail. The other cool thing about the old News and Weather widget is you could specify your own search terms so any news stories relating to those search terms would be displayed.

I haven't tried it yet but here's a thread that details how to get the old News and Weather widget on a Razr Maxx. I don't know if it will work with ICS but I think I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

Here's the link to a thread about the old News and Weather widget that includes a download link - click here

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just tried that, but I don't think it is what I'm looking for. I used the news widget to show stories from an rss feed (superbikeplanet.com). I installed it, but the only widget I see is for weather, not news. I just played with the settings, but it didn't ask for an rss feed, just news topics.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they took the News Widget and kicked it to the curb. It is long gone now. I watched a video on Moto's site introducing ICS on the Razr and they said it there.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
They kicked quite a few things we liked to the curb. I have an application called Glass Widgets that's pretty cool for custom rss. Maybe take a look at that. I use it mostly for a calendar link though.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's the link I just went to to get the News and Weather app, and it exactly the one we all knew from Gingerbread:

http://android.snkbitten.com/apps/GenieWidget.apk

I used the same link for my Razr Maxx and I'm happy to have the News and Weather widget back. :)

For me the widget is the perfect way to get caught up on the news. I find that almost anytime I'm stuck standing in line I reach for my smartphone and start reading the news.

ramezj

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
did you find an answer to your question? I have the same issue, and the links below installed the "news and weather" widget, not the "news" widget! :(

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
did you find an answer to your question? I have the same issue, and the links below installed the "news and weather" widget, not the "news" widget! :(

Once you select the News and Weather widget you'll have the option to choose a "News Only" version. I chose the "News Only" option because I already have the weather information on my Home Screen.

flash4yish

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this... Finally! Been trying to add custom topics without any luck for a long time. Until now. :cool:

Only thing I would add... Is this, The GenieWidget.apk would not install because it kept saying "there is already a... with the Same Name..." What I had to do was go in and remove the old (News & Weather) from the system. I used "System Tuner" (Super User App-available on the Play market for free) went to "System" setting tab, then The "System Apps" setting and found the News & Weather app and DELETED the old one... Plus, I had to do a Re-Boot before it would let me install it. Then it finally worked!!! I was able to create Custom Topics. (i.e. Android and CyanogenMod) Which is something I was not able to do until now.

So thanks to CharlieL3 & JNeum for sharing this. :cool: :cool:

flash4yish

I am running ICS 4.0.4 Tenderloin Nightly (July 13, 2012) on an HP Touchpad.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

hobby31

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe the op was talking about the Motorola news widget not the Genie widget. Its gone in ics

Sent from my Full AOSP on Toro-VZW using Tapatalk 2

ndt_trainer

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The link above was a good fix for the news and weather widget.
But that is not the one I needed.
Is there a way to get the RSS/news widget back?
That was the widget that you entered the feeds you wanted to follow.
Any suggestions.

Dts1122

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Once you select the News and Weather widget you'll have the option to choose a "News Only" version. I chose the "News Only" option because I already have the weather information on my Home Screen.

looking for Motorola news widget just news

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with the News Widget lately?

My News and Weather Widget hasn't been able to connect for the past day or two and I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci