Where's my news widget?

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking Google finally broke the connection, since the app hasn't been available on the Play Store for a while.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking Google finally broke the connection, since the app hasn't been available on the Play Store for a while.

Thanks for the reply - nice to know I wasn't the only one with the problem.

I just checked my Maxx and noticed the News and Weather widget is working again.

I recently bought a Nexus 7 and was going to see if the N&W widget worked on a tablet but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

On a related note, I'm really surprised a developer hasn't released a replacement for Google's N&W widget - I'd definitely pay to have one that had the same appearance but allowed me to specify the news sources.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
The weather part of the widget still isn't working, though. I put in my location both by name and Zip code, and it says it can't find a matching location.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
The weather part of the widget still isn't working, though. I put in my location both by name and Zip code, and it says it can't find a matching location.

The weather portion of the widget isn't working on my Maxx either. I remember the weather was always somewhat "hit or miss" even when I was using this widget on my Droid X.

Ironically, I just installed this widget on my Nexus 7 and the weather's working on my tablet... :)

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
but how do I download it? If I try to go to the site via the browser, it was not found on the server. I can't believe that ICS removed the news app - everyone uses devices for news now-a-days.

I used the link in post number 7 of this thread and then I went to the App Drawer and selected "Downloads" - that's where the downloaded file goes. Once I clicked on the file I was advised that I needed to change my security settings to allow third-party apps and then I was set.

Once you've made it that far all you have to do is go to your widgets tray and drag the widget to the screen of your choosing.

p.s. Be sure to check out the option for selecting a separate tab for news based on a search term you select - I love this feature. As an example, I love Lake Havasu so I set up a news tab that displays news based on a search for "Havasu" - it's a great way to keep up on the news when you have a few minutes to kill while you're waiting in a line or something.

Hartai

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this... Finally! Been trying to add custom topics without any luck for a long time. Until now. :cool:

Only thing I would add... Is this, The GenieWidget.apk would not install because it kept saying "there is already a... with the Same Name..." What I had to do was go in and remove the old (News & Weather) from the system. I used "System Tuner" (Super User App-available on the Play market for free) went to "System" setting tab, then The "System Apps" setting and found the News & Weather app and DELETED the old one... Plus, I had to do a Re-Boot before it would let me install it. Then it finally worked!!! I was able to create Custom Topics. (i.e. Android and CyanogenMod) Which is something I was not able to do until now.

So thanks to CharlieL3 & JNeum for sharing this. :cool: :cool:

flash4yish

I am running ICS 4.0.4 Tenderloin Nightly (July 13, 2012) on an HP Touchpad.

But how delete with ''Super Tuner'' the old widget? I dont see delete option...... Pls Help :)

lynndeloo

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys and gals I have just upgraded from a Galaxy ace which had the google news and weather widget - now got a samsung s111 mini - nowherer to be scene - in very easy step by step guide - can I get this from anywhere - it has to be easy though cos technology scares me lol - thanks

alnrovh

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much! I had to reset my settings to allow for apps outside of Google play but it has worked great. and you are right it's the same exact widget that I used to have on my droid x & i love it. I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD now.

jrgagoako

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for the link! I have been searching for another comparable news widget that auto-scrolls through new stories with no luck. Couldn't find a single one that does it! I like how this news and weather only has text and is 1x4. I have more room on my main screen now that I replaced 4x2 Samsung weather/clock widget. I thought I was out of luck after upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Reverb (Virgin Mobile) from an LG Optimus V. I've been so out of the loop without this widget! Thanks again =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed