1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting risk?

If I try to root my Maxx, how likely is it that I will brick it? And how hard is it to do? I wouldn't mind rooting my other android gadgets either, but the phone is first on the list.

Default Re: Rooting risk?

I used the (option 3) from DroidRzr's forum... fairly simple, but it's not just about rooting... then you should load SafeStrap (option 7) and make a back up of your current ROM... more info on SafeStrap:
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:

Oh ya... you will also want to load VooDoo RootKeeper (option 5)... after it's loaded RootKeeper you will want to activate RootKeeper... so when the next OTA comes alone you will keep your root.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    What does this button d

I'm new to the whole ROM thing, as I've always just rooted and stayed stock. What is SafeStrap, and what are its advantages?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieL3 View Post
    I'm new to the whole ROM thing, as I've always just rooted and stayed stock. What is SafeStrap, and what are its advantages?

Thanks in advance.
    Simply put it's ClockworkMod's Recovery program... the program to load ROMs, make backups and restore backup images... all the things you need to flash ROMs.
    Flames Wallpaper
    Thanked by 2:
    What does this button d

So if I'm planning to remain stock, I don't need to load it?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieL3 View Post
    So if I'm planning to remain stock, I don't need to load it?
    If you are going to remain stock, I don't see any reason to root... and would not recommend it.
    Flames Wallpaper
    Thanked by 3:

With ICS, the there isn't too many advantages of rooting.

Before ICS, you can root and then get Titanium Backup to freeze apps and do a backup of your phone. But with MyBackUp Pro, you can do a backup and ICS allows you to disable apps.

Before ICS, you needed to root to get screen shots but with ICS you just hold down two buttons for screens shots.

With root, you will have the ability to over/under clock your device but this can cause damaged to your device if you do something wrong. The other thing you can do is custom ROMs.

If you wanted to change they way your home screen looked, just look for launchers that fit your needs.

Since you are new to it, I would just keep reading on it and see if you need it or not. No need to root just to root unless you have a reason. Kinda like putting an empty bottle of NOS in your car just say you have NOS.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
    Thanked by 2:
    What does this button d

If you are going to remain stock, I don't see any reason to root... and would not recommend it.
    I use Titanium Backup, and I use AdAway, and SD Maid, and a few other utilities that require root. So there are some good reasons to root without loading new ROMS.
    What does this button d

Since you are new to it, I would just keep reading on it and see if you need it or not. No need to root just to root unless you have a reason.
    As I said above, I use several utilities that require root. I just don't feel the need to flash a new ROM. It was the ROM flashing I'm new to, not rooting. And thanks for the responses!
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Give it another month or so and there will be some good roms to choose from. Just don't go painting your fire extinguisher blue :sly:

Sent from my Razr Maxx dripping ICS all over the floor